Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Need suggestions on finding flights to use GPUs (confirmable at booking)

Old Sep 29, 16, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 2mm

This has probably been asked and answered before, but I can't find it so apologies if it's a repeat...(please don't beat me up - I'm a neophyte).

I'm 1k, have a couple of GPU's and simply want to use them for a round trip in business class to anywhere internationally - (buy economy and upgrade). Is there an easy way to find upgradable inventory, or do I just pick random destinations and attempt to find seats using trial and error on UA's web site? I'd rather not see the GPU's unused and the year is drawing to a close. I'm too tall to play waitlist roulette, so only want to fly with confirmed upgrades in hand. Suggestions are much appreciated!
Old Sep 29, 16, 10:42 pm

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
Originally Posted by misdirected baggage View Post
This has probably been asked and answered before, but I can't find it so apologies if it's a repeat...(please don't beat me up - I'm a neophyte).

I'm 1k, have a couple of GPU's and simply want to use them for a round trip in business class to anywhere internationally - (buy economy and upgrade). Is there an easy way to find upgradable inventory, or do I just pick random destinations and attempt to find seats using trial and error on UA's web site? I'd rather not see the GPU's unused and the year is drawing to a close. I'm too tall to play waitlist roulette, so only want to fly with confirmed upgrades in hand. Suggestions are much appreciated!
This group is full of arm-chair travel agents! Why not tell us the sort of places you'd like to travel to, an idea of dates that can work (I assume you're flexible; that's the key to making GPUs work), and you might get some suggestions!

Keep in mind the fare limitations; you have to buy a W fare or above for a GPU to be applied. But in a nutshell, you're looking for space in the "R" bucket. Using the "expert" mode you search for flights, check the "details" tab and look at the available fare buckets. Easier yet, you can do a search for flights to a given destination that have upgrade space available (in the "advanced search" options).

But seriously, there are people here who live vicariously through the trips they help others have.
Old Sep 29, 16, 11:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
HKG is currently a very good deal for W fares, with reasonable R availability as well.
Old Sep 30, 16, 2:04 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
HKG is currently a very good deal for W fares, with reasonable R availability as well.
SFO-HND/NRT, HKG-SFO, SIN-SFO have R space for April.

I booked SFO-HND HKG-SFO on one ticket for $1075 w/ GPUs applied.
Old Sep 30, 16, 3:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JVPhoto View Post
SFO-HND/NRT, HKG-SFO, SIN-SFO have R space for April.

I booked SFO-HND HKG-SFO on one ticket for $1075 w/ GPUs applied.
I'm guessing the OP needs suggestions for travel through expiration of current GPUs (January 2017) since the term "couple" was used. April 2017 would mean the OP had already qualified for 2017 1K.
Old Sep 30, 16, 5:40 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mdobbins View Post
I'm guessing the OP needs suggestions for travel through expiration of current GPUs (January 2017) since the term "couple" was used. April 2017 would mean the OP had already qualified for 2017 1K.
Ah right didn't make the connection...
Old Sep 30, 16, 8:17 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by mdobbins View Post
So? The fares are the same.
Old Sep 30, 16, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
I'm finding that any of the hubs to/from NRT are very easy to get now, since there are no longer connections to BKK or SIN. Although the fares are not great.

If you're going to make 1K next year, play the waiting game like the rest of us -- they will "probably" extend them again. <hoping>
Old Sep 30, 16, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
Can I get a better description of just how to use "advanced search" to show me ONLY flights with upgrades available? I can't seem to see how that works.

Thanks.

(I did my homework and kept checking "details" and managed to find R space to and from Europe for 3 people, using 6 of my 9 GPUs.... it's difficult to use them)
Old Sep 30, 16, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 2mm
Thank you all! I'm pretty open on destinations, but need to use the GPUs between now and early NOV (work takes over after that). Actually, any remote destination would be fine (RT from EWR to ideally SIN, but NRT, AKL, even LHR would work). I was hoping that there was an easier way to find flights other than searching for R inventory via trial and error in the UA web site. I found a couple of short trips EWR-NRT, but wondered whether I could be more efficient. All that said, I'm open to anything - that's the problem when flying anywhere is better than sitting at home.
Old Sep 30, 16, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTE, BA Bronze
Yeah, I don't think others can help you much other than posting the odd flight that has R space open. You'll have to do most of the hunting yourself. I've seen reasonable availability on MAD/LHR routes, but you should also check non-LHR UK destinations (eg. BHX, BFS, MAN) - 757's but can show R from time to time (IME). I would go to Europe but that's just me. Good luck!
Old Sep 30, 16, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.9 MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
EWR-HKG is the most cost effective because the W fare costs only about $1000 (and you can leave tomorrow or Sunday with Rs). EWR-HGH ($1300), EWR-CTU ($1400) are not too bad. The SFO-HGH and SFO-CTU flights have a ton of R spaces available. The drawback is that you will have to waitlist for EWR-SFO flights.
Good luck.
Old Sep 30, 16, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1.9MM. 1K
Australia

Just booked LAX - MEL return SYD -LAX.
Quite a few dates open for GPU.
Keep in mind it's much harder to find availability with a stateside connection.
Old Sep 30, 16, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
The drawback is that you will have to waitlist for EWR-SFO flights.
And likely will not clear.
Old Sep 30, 16, 2:20 pm
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
Originally Posted by misdirected baggage View Post
Thank you all! I'm pretty open on destinations, but need to use the GPUs between now and early NOV (work takes over after that). Actually, any remote destination would be fine (RT from EWR to ideally SIN, but NRT, AKL, even LHR would work). I was hoping that there was an easier way to find flights other than searching for R inventory via trial and error in the UA web site. I found a couple of short trips EWR-NRT, but wondered whether I could be more efficient. All that said, I'm open to anything - that's the problem when flying anywhere is better than sitting at home.
Sometimes if I don't want to hunt and peck, I'll call the 1K line and have them do it for me. It still takes time, but they move faster than I do. You'll need to give them a destination though, not just ask for R space on any flight - something like I'm looking to go to LHR from EWR, my dates are not fixed and can go outbound Oct 01-30 and need to return no later than 05 Nov. They'll start the outbound first, once they find a date, ask them to check the few dates that follow it so that when you look at return dates, you still leave yourself enough time to enjoy where you are going. You can also mention if you're willing to connect or return from a different airport. If a connection, they may not always see the R space on the long flight if the short one doesn't have R available.

Oh, and if destination one doesn't work, as them for destination #2.

Good luck and have fun wherever you end up.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: