Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Should UA change Premier qualification thresholds for 2018 status?

Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum

When UA changed the Premier qualification thresholds (PQDs from 2.5/5.0/7.5/10K to 3/6/9/12K for Silver/Gold/Platinum/1K) two years ago, ticket prices were very high due to high oil prices. Now, the prices for some international city pairs are very low (e.g., SFO-PEK, SFO-HGH for less than $500) because the low oil prices. Should/will UA adjust these PQD thresholds for next year? What are the more reasonable thresholds for passengers, UA and Chase Bank? Here are options for PQD thresholds:
Option A: roll back to the original thresholds (2.5K/5K/7.5K/10K);
Option B; keep the current thresholds but allow credit card spend (25K/yr) waiver for 1K;
Option C: Introduce lower thresholds for pax who also satisfy the credit card spend (25K/yr) while keep the current thresholds for those without enough credit card spend. These lower threshold for CC waivers can be 2K/4K/6K/8K for Silver/Gold/Platinum/1K.

I think that Option C will make Chase Bank and pax happy. Will UA be happy with this option? I also think that UA will be less happy with Options B and A.

What are your suggestions to UA?
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I think they should raise it by 20%.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by cfischer
I think they should raise it by 20%.
I'd never hit 1K then!

I'd like to contemplate ways they would make it easier to get status, but I would bet very good money that the next change in Premier qualifying requirements is going to be negative to the customer.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Rest assured that UA will not decrease the thresholds. 😉
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Option D:

No change to PQD thresholds.
Drop the credit card waiver.

The credit card as proxy for flyer loyalty is way out of hand.

I'd love to see the PQD thresholds drop back to 2014 standards, but it's not going to happen.

Of course the real answer to the question "what will UA do?" is, "whatever DL does."
Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
The credit card as proxy for flyer loyalty is way out of hand.
But it does bring UA significant revenue.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... I think that Option C will make Chase Bank and pax happy. Will UA be happy with this option? I also think that UA will be less happy with Options B and A. ....
All your options make it easier to achieve status and drive less flight revenue, does not seem a good deal for UA.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 21, 2016 at 8:18 pm Reason: typo
Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA will probably either keep PQD requirements the same or raise them then next year hand out status like candy again to more people who did not qualify. I am 1K this year and it will be tight to make Platinum. So of course I would like to see them either lower or get rid of PQD requirements
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
I'd like to see UA keep the PQD waiver with the cc, but permit mileage redemptions in lieu of cash like Delta. Personally, I just buy cheap A/P fares and it's nice to knock off $100 (10K Skymiles) or $500 (50K Skymiles) from time to time. FFs are still able to hit the mileage requirement and get the spend waived. Win/win for the FF.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA GS
It's odd to me that the PQD status levels are essentially $3, $6, $9, $12, and $40-50K.

If anything 1K should go up.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:04 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, MileagePlus Silver, Executive National
Two questions/thoughts on this.

1) When should we expect UA announcement on 2017/18 changes?

2) I know this probably isn't popular opinion on this site but is it really that outrageous of a thought or unfair if UA decides to go to an exclusively PQD tier system with perhaps a small UA segment/milage minimum? Seems like it is in UAs best interest to show loyalty to those who spend the most rather than sit butt in seat for the most miles
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
E. wait to see what DL does and copy it.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
When UA changed the Premier qualification thresholds (PQDs from 2.5/5.0/7.5/10K to 3/6/9/12K for Silver/Gold/Platinum/1K) two years ago, ticket prices were very high due to high oil prices. Now, the prices for some international city pairs are very low (e.g., SFO-PEK, SFO-HGH for less than $500) because the low oil prices. Should/will UA adjust these PQD thresholds for next year? What are the more reasonable thresholds for passengers, UA and Chase Bank? Here are options for PQD thresholds:
Option A: roll back to the original thresholds (2.5K/5K/7.5K/10K);
Option B; keep the current thresholds but allow credit card spend (25K/yr) waiver for 1K;
Option C: Introduce lower thresholds for pax who also satisfy the credit card spend (25K/yr) while keep the current thresholds for those without enough credit card spend. These lower threshold for CC waivers can be 2K/4K/6K/8K for Silver/Gold/Platinum/1K.

I think that Option C will make Chase Bank and pax happy. Will UA be happy with this option? I also think that UA will be less happy with Options B and A.

Sorry...there are a ton more options that they could go then you list. The only one you mention that I would think would be in any consideration set would be C, but I still doubt it.

Even if ticket prices are lower (and I don't fully agree...personally, I see that somewhat, but not all over for sure), UA isn't going to be lowering the threshold. UA only wants to give out status to those who meet certain threasholds, period (and in the cases when it does, it clearly wants to have the power to decide who will get it and who doesn't....i.e. the earlier this year status bump promo). I'd give lower thresholds being announced about the same chance of happening as us seeing FAs that carve a pot roast onboard.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
All your options make it easier to achieve status and drive less flight revenue, does not seem a good deal for UA.
This, especially the second point. They are not going to encourage people to spend less overall, even if the flights are cheaper, they want you to spend the money you might save on additional flights.

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
I'd like to see UA keep the PQD waiver with the cc, but permit mileage redemptions in lieu of cash like Delta. Personally, I just buy cheap A/P fares and it's nice to knock off $100 (10K Skymiles) or $500 (50K Skymiles) from time to time. FFs are still able to hit the mileage requirement and get the spend waived. Win/win for the FF.
Those of us who still have the Select card can still do this. Though not a great value, and often there are better uses for mileage, it does work in some situations.

Originally Posted by homanga
Two questions/thoughts on this.
2) I know this probably isn't popular opinion on this site but is it really that outrageous of a thought or unfair if UA decides to go to an exclusively PQD tier system with perhaps a small UA segment/milage minimum? Seems like it is in UAs best interest to show loyalty to those who spend the most rather than sit butt in seat for the most miles
Definitely won't be popular on here, but I think that's the way things are going...in the industry in general. I'd be surprised if qualification isn't that way a few years down the road - say 5 - 10. THe newer FF programs (WN, B6, etc.) already are doing that, and most loyalty programs in other industries are based solely on spend.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... 1) When should we expect UA announcement on 2017/18 changes? ...
This has varied. Last year it was in November, 2 years ago -- essentially never happened and some years earlier in Oct / Sept. Some announcements like the introduction of PQDs were made mid-year in advance, some changes were announced and changed mid-year.

We will know when it happens, speculating on when it will happen is a sport, but just guesses.

...2) I know this probably isn't popular opinion on this site but is it really that outrageous of a thought or unfair if UA decides to go to an exclusively PQD tier system with perhaps a small UA segment/milage minimum? Seems like it is in UAs best interest to show loyalty to those who spend the most rather than sit butt in seat for the most miles
UA probably wants to encourage both but PQD will be the driver in the foreseeable future for most airlines.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 21, 2016 at 9:52 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:30 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by milepig
E. wait to see what DL does and copy it.
They only do that for negative changes. They do not match any of the positive changes. In this instance, Delta does allow a credit card waiver to meet the spend all the way up and including Diamond. They also allow rollover PQM for anything past the qualification threshold.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.