FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Pro/Cons of booking flights on partner site vs united.com (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1791518-pro-cons-booking-flights-partner-site-vs-united-com.html)

chuck1 Jan 2, 2015 5:13 pm

Pro/Cons of booking flights on partner site vs united.com

Hello -

I have this itinerary.

OSL-FRA-SFO-HNL
HNL-LAX-FRA-OSL

I can book this as UA as a 1K and earn 11 miles per dollar spent but business/first fare is very reasonable (base $3847 so around 42,317).

LH is booked in J to FRA and then A to SFO and A to HNL.
Return is A, A and J.

In this case, if I book LH 220 tickets, I don't think I'd earn PQD but please confirm I'd earn the following.
250% base miles for the A class segments / PQM 150% for all flights
175% base miles for the J class segments
Plus double the actual mileage as 1K

So in this case..
OSL-HNL via SFO / HNL-OSL via LAX 17,855 x 2.5 = 44,637 plus 17,855 1K bonus = 62,492 ticketing as 220 vs 42,317 ticketing as 016.

Am I confused or do I have this right?

Thanks.

Kacee Jan 2, 2015 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by chuck1 (Post 24090859)
Am I confused or do I have this right?

Thanks.

Date of travel is after March 1?

If so, you are correct about the calculation if booked on UA stock.

No one knows yet what the earnings will be if booked on LH stock.

Would you book into A class for the TATL's? That's GlobalFirst on United (and presumably F on LH). If truly an F fare for <4000, this should be posted in Premium Fare Deals.

UA-NYC Jan 2, 2015 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 24090887)
Date of travel is after March 1?

No one knows yet what the earnings will be if booked on LH stock.

Sure might be nice to know this soon ;)

chuck1 Jan 2, 2015 5:25 pm

It is already on Premium Fare Deals.
HNL is just a bit above $4000 but the continental USA is below $4000.
It is for after March '15.
I thought the partner chart for for travel on the website under LH for travel after 11/21/14 was valid for post March '15. Is it not?

Kacee Jan 2, 2015 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by chuck1 (Post 24090922)
I thought the partner chart for for travel on the website under LH for travel after 11/21/14 was valid for post March '15. Is it not?

No, the details have not been announced.
Eligible flights operated by a Star Alliance or MileagePlus partner airline and not ticketed by United will earn award miles based on a percentage of distance flown, the purchased fare class and Premier status where applicable. Later this year we will have more details about earning award miles on partner flights.
Earning Miles - FAQ

Most of us expect them to do something similar to what DL has done. Not realistic IMO to expect the loophole to remain open.

That's still an amazing fare. Did you get the 764 for SFO-HNL?

chuck1 Jan 2, 2015 8:32 pm

Hasn't that statement about "further information" been on their for months.
Why wouldn't we assume that page detailing LH earning for flights after Nov 21, 2014 is valid for flights post March 1, 2015?

Would they allow tickets purchased today for travel after March 1, 2015 on LH 220 stock to earn with the current posted LH rates?

pewpew Jan 2, 2015 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by chuck1 (Post 24091621)
Would they allow tickets purchased today for travel after March 1, 2015 on LH 220 stock to earn with the current posted LH rates?

Extremely doubtful.

chuck1 Jan 2, 2015 8:50 pm

Well...any advice?
I am having trouble getting the UA codeshare in A though I have the LH space on hold.
I would rather fly LH than true UA (where A is open) but don't want to lose a significant amount of redeemable miles or elite miles. I am willing to forgo the PQD in order to get the extra miles offered by the current LH scheme but I'm now hesitant to buy the ticket for fear that I could lose out on all fronts buying a 220 ticket.

Kacee Jan 2, 2015 11:56 pm

Yes, it has.

DL waited all the way to T-30 to announce partner earnings.

Note that DL gutted lower end of the chart, but left upper end fairly generous. Air France Mileage Accrual. If UA follows that, you will be fine on LH stock. Just hope they don't implement CM type-earnings (Paid J: 100% with no premier or fare class bonus).

cfischer Jan 3, 2015 4:19 am

Originally Posted by chuck1 (Post 24091673)
Well...any advice?
I am having trouble getting the UA codeshare in A though I have the LH space on hold.
I would rather fly LH than true UA (where A is open) but don't want to lose a significant amount of redeemable miles or elite miles. I am willing to forgo the PQD in order to get the extra miles offered by the current LH scheme but I'm now hesitant to buy the ticket for fear that I could lose out on all fronts buying a 220 ticket.

it does not matter whether you have UA code or LH code when you fly LH on 220 stock. I'd assume high fare classes will still earn well under the new scheme to match DL. Did you try booking on Lufthansa.com? You can search segment by segment and also add UA flights (choose LH+partners). Earn 1.5% cashback as well on LH bookings. Try ITA and then replicate on lufty or via travel agent.

weero Jan 3, 2015 4:28 am

I would be never pay close to 4K for a UA fare and this itinerary.

And if you can get LH A for a comparable price, I'd take that any day over speculative earnings in a mortally wounded phantom FFP.

emcampbe Jan 3, 2015 7:17 am

Why wouldn't we assume that page detailing LH earning for flights after Nov 21, 2014 is valid for flights post March 1, 2015?

LH table earnings are valid based on the current table...for now. But if it changes (likely will), then the new earning rate goes into affect for travel as of that date and later. Always based on date of travel, not date of purchase, so purchasing today won't have any affect on earning rates.

As for the OPs PQD question, you'd earn full PQD if purchased on UA stock, and PQD just for UA-operated segments if on LH stock.

SMFlagg Jan 7, 2015 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 24093263)

As for the OPs PQD question, you'd earn full PQD if purchased on UA stock, and PQD just for UA-operated segments if on LH stock.

That's wonderful news. I guess I've been flying only 016 tickets for so long, that the thought of non-016 made my heart flutter.

For the first time since PQD began, I have to fly on a 220 ticket due to schedules (LH metal outbound), but I return on UA metal. I was beginning to have a panic attack that 40% of the ticket wouldn’t count.

Obviously I have not paid attention.

I will now go panic about something else.

johnhendricks Dec 7, 2015 3:34 pm

Can anybody help me with a related question?
I have a 220 etix issued by LH through expedia for a trip that includes 1 LH leg and 3 UA legs. I thought that since its a 220 etix United is supposed to credit miles to mileage plus acct according to PQMs x status (x2 for 1k). The itinerary popped up in the united.com reservation summary and the rewards count at the bottom of it is based off revenue. Can anybody tell me why?

WineCountryUA Dec 7, 2015 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by johnhendricks (Post 25827859)
Can anybody help me with a related question?
I have a 220 etix issued by LH through expedia for a trip that includes 1 LH leg and 3 UA legs. I thought that since its a 220 etix United is supposed to credit miles to mileage plus acct according to PQMs x status (x2 for 1k). The itinerary popped up in the united.com reservation summary and the rewards count at the bottom of it is based off revenue. Can anybody tell me why?

All UA/UX operated flights earn RDMs based on revenue / PQDs regardless of ticket stock.

Partner flights on UA ticket stock earn based on PQDs.

Partner flights on non-UA ticket stock earned per based mileage (and a multiple based on fare).