Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pro/Cons of booking flights on partner site vs united.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2016, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Booking on United.com (016 ticket)
Pro
-Category bonus with United Chase Credit cards (ie- the Explorer Card earns two miles per dollar spent on United.com but not on Lufthansa.com, for example)
- Deal directly with UA on UA schedule changes
- UA change rules are generally more generous
Con
- Many partner flights will be booked as UA codeshare and this can make some things more difficult or impossible -- such as *A upgrades, seat assignments, actual partner fare class is hidden, ..
- While not a major thing, in irrops, codeshares can be an extra issue for the agent
= Due to plating restrictions, partners may not allow UA access to the partners best fares

Partner site
Pro
- Native flight numbers (No codeshare issues)
- Deal directly with partner for partner schedule changes
- Access to partner's lowest fares

Unclear
- partner flights will earn PQPs based on miles and multiple and UA operated flights will earn PQPs in the fare method -- which may be hard to determine in advance
Not hard rule which is better but a good chance for higher cost tickets PQPs on 016 ticket are better, and also for lower cost fares, you need to run the numbers.

Does not matter
-
PQP earning & UA Lifetime mileage earning is unaffected by booking method
- On UA operated flight your UA elite benefits fully apply and you can use PlusPoints or miles to upgrade
Print Wikipost

Pro/Cons of booking flights on partner site vs united.com

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
or not ... BOS-YYZ-NRT-PEK-YYZ-BOS for $1.6k ... earned almost 3x keeping this on AC with 300% of distance.
I assume you mean 200%, since even full J on AC earns only 200% RDM (300% PQM). But yes, of course there could be cases where distance is greater than spend. But I consider a $1,600 J TPAC ticket to not be the ‘norm’.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmanirish
I assume you mean 200%, since even full J on AC earns only 200% RDM (300% PQM). But yes, of course there could be cases where distance is greater than spend. But I consider a $1,600 J TPAC ticket to not be the ‘norm’.
I assume he meant 300%, as all business fare classes earn 200% RDMs on AC (non-016 ticket) and they also credit the 100% 1K bonus.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
I assume he meant 300%, as all business fare classes earn 200% RDMs on AC (non-016 ticket) and they also credit the 100% 1K bonus.
Ah forgot about the 100% 1K bonus since it isn’t mentioned on the AC earning page. Must be buried somewhere else.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah forgot about the 100% 1K bonus since it isn’t mentioned on the AC earning page. Must be buried somewhere else.
Airlines that give the elite bonus now just have a link near the top of the page that says "Earning Premier Bonus Award Miles." It's very easy to miss.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
yep, 300% as in 200%+100%.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
If you want to book on 016, and only UA codeshares are there, you can either try calling UA and seeing if an agent can book directly on the LH numbers. Or what I’ve done in the past is just book on UA.com, and call in within 24 hours - an agent should be able to change it to the LH number without any issues.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
I agree in general with this and my default would be native flight numbers, particularly since I've had trouble getting seat assignments on LH with a UA codeshare.

My one caveat is that if you're a UA elite (particularly 1K or GS) you will likely have better results calling to make changes before travel has commenced if you ticket through UA. LH phone agents are not particularly pleasant or accommodating, and they're certainly not going to waive a change fee, which UA agents will do pretty frequently.
Certainly. Native flight numbers are easier, but getting them on an 016 ticket is easiest! (May be difficult to get though.)
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
I have a question - apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I'm a 1k, and looking to book a flight from IAH --> LHR next year. UA is priced around $1300 for W Fare (want to apply a GPU) after taxes.

However, when I search Kayak I see London flights through Lufthansa, "Operated by UA", for about $900 after taxes. It's unclear to me what exactly this means for getting UA benefits, applying a GPU, getting PQM, etc. If this is operated by UA, but sold through Lufthansa, what does that mean for someone who flies mainly with UA and will be using my UA account?

As a side note... those taxes / fees to UK are insane!
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:27 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by teeceedee
I have a question - apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I'm a 1k, and looking to book a flight from IAH --> LHR next year. UA is priced around $1300 for W Fare (want to apply a GPU) after taxes.

However, when I search Kayak I see London flights through Lufthansa, "Operated by UA", for about $900 after taxes. It's unclear to me what exactly this means for getting UA benefits, applying a GPU, getting PQM, etc. If this is operated by UA, but sold through Lufthansa, what does that mean for someone who flies mainly with UA and will be using my UA account?

As a side note... those taxes / fees to UK are insane!
Your UA benefits are the same if on UA ticket stock or LH ticket stock for UA operated flights. However, what is the fare class for the UA flight when booked via LH?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only issue I've had with UA flights on a LH ticket was last year. I applied a RPU to a domestic UA segment which cleared but I wasn't able to check in online with UA which was the initial flight. I called and it took 35 minutes for the agent to do the check in. He said it had to do with the RPU being used on an LH ticket.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Your UA benefits are the same if on UA ticket stock or LH ticket stock for UA operated flights. However, what is the fare class for the UA flight when booked via LH?
Good question, not entirely sure. But that is something I can figure out - the rest you answered. Thanks!
Old May 24, 2018, 12:59 am

Programs: None anymore
Star Alliance Carrier: When does it make sense to book on ua.com vs operating carrier

Just as the title states: tell me if I'm missing something. I'm 1K with an overseas address so I don't have to meet spend. Why would I be inclined to book a Star Alliance carrier on UA.com vs the operating carrier's website? I'm inclined to book on Asiana's website because I can select my own seat at booking and it's better to book with the operating carrier in case of IRROPS. Tickets are exact same price on UA vs OZ. PQM is the same for both: 100%.

What am I missing?
Old May 24, 2018, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If you are PQD exempt, the only difference is going to be your RDM earnings. If you book on UA, it will be based on the fare, and if you book with a partner it will be a multiple of the distance. Generally speaking, deep discount fares are better plated on partner stock, and expensive fares do better on UA stock.
Old May 24, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: None anymore
Oh - so if my fare is $2k, $2k*11 is 22,000 award miles vs the 11,000 I would get if I booked OZ. I spaced on that one.

In case of IRROPS does OZ have to rebook me or UA if I book on UA.com?
Old May 24, 2018, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right. Asiana is particularly harsh in that you only earn 1.0 to 1.25x the distance flying in Business. A JV partner like NH earns between 2.5x and 4.0x the distance as a 1K.

In the case of day-of IRROPS, it's up to the carrier with the irregular operations to rebook you, regardless of ticket stock. They will tend to do so preferentially in their own metal, but can rebook you on any carrier with which they have an interline agreement. The ticketing carrier may also help you, but that is a courtesy only and not guaranteed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.