Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pro/Cons of booking flights on partner site vs united.com

Old Sep 17, 2016, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Booking on United.com (016 ticket)
Pro
-Category bonus with United Chase Credit cards (ie- the Explorer Card earns two miles per dollar spent on United.com but not on Lufthansa.com, for example)
- Deal directly with UA on UA schedule changes
- UA change rules are generally more generous
Con
- Many partner flights will be booked as UA codeshare and this can make some things more difficult or impossible -- such as *A upgrades, seat assignments, actual partner fare class is hidden, ..
- While not a major thing, in irrops, codeshares can be an extra issue for the agent
= Due to plating restrictions, partners may not allow UA access to the partners best fares

Partner site
Pro
- Native flight numbers (No codeshare issues)
- Deal directly with partner for partner schedule changes
- Access to partner's lowest fares

Unclear
- partner flights will earn PQPs based on miles and multiple and UA operated flights will earn PQPs in the fare method -- which may be hard to determine in advance
Not hard rule which is better but a good chance for higher cost tickets PQPs on 016 ticket are better, and also for lower cost fares, you need to run the numbers.

Does not matter
-
PQP earning & UA Lifetime mileage earning is unaffected by booking method
- On UA operated flight your UA elite benefits fully apply and you can use PlusPoints or miles to upgrade
Print Wikipost

Pro/Cons of booking flights on partner site vs united.com

Old Sep 17, 2016, 7:33 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
Be careful with AC. There's been reports that if you want to book Preferred seats (their equivalent to E+) and have booked with someone else than AC, they won't be able to move you to it until checkin.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by joseeantonior
Be careful with AC. There's been reports that if you want to book Preferred seats (their equivalent to E+) and have booked with someone else than AC, they won't be able to move you to it until checkin.
seat38a is buying business, not coach.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by seat38a
Its been only a week since this years trip ended but it is time to plan next years already. Checking airfares on united.com and aircanada.com, the J/C class fare is the same on both sites for the same flights. What are the benefits and cons of booking directly through United vs through the Air Canada?
Cons of both: having to fly AC
Old Sep 18, 2016, 9:10 am

Air Canada doesn't honor 1K or Star Alliance Gold status

I booked some flights with United, but unbeknownst to me, some of them were codeshares with AirCanada. Beware! Air Canada do not honor any of my 1K/Star Alliance Gold benefits -- no advanced seat assignment, no Economy Plus seating and no free luggage allowance. This is very unusual -- most codeshare airlines (e.g., Swiss Air, Lufthansa) are very accommodating to United 1K travellers.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 8:07 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by Tanager
I booked some flights with United, but unbeknownst to me, some of them were codeshares with AirCanada. Beware! Air Canada do not honor any of my 1K/Star Alliance Gold benefits -- no advanced seat assignment, no Economy Plus seating and no free luggage allowance. This is very unusual -- most codeshare airlines (e.g., Swiss Air, Lufthansa) are very accommodating to United 1K travellers.
Welcome to FT, Tanager!

Flying Air Canada will only get you Star Alliance Gold benefits. This means, only priority check-in, security, boarding, waitlist, baggage handling, and extra baggage allowance. No advance seating assignment or Preferred seating.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 12:14 am

Programs: 1K
I found out about this one today - if you book on a codeshare flight (rather than directly with the operating carrier), the booking is not eligible to apply *A upgrades.

Why would it make any difference?? Has anyone gotten around this?
Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hookthem
I found out about this one today - if you book on a codeshare flight (rather than directly with the operating carrier), the booking is not eligible to apply *A upgrades.
correct
Discussed in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-carriers.html

Originally Posted by hookthem
Why would it make any difference?? Has anyone gotten around this?
Before travel only the marketing airline can make the change -- but upgrades can only be done by the operating airline. So you need the ticketing airline to change the ticket to a native flight number. Same issue on using UA GPUs on LH or NH.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: CO Plat
Question

Originally Posted by Harry IAH
... Wow ... The google flights / book on united.com link really worked !

Was able to book the wide open jaw with exactly the flights I wanted, at the right price.

Thanks mduell !

You get a gold star. :-:

Tickets booked back in May for the flights:
IAH-SCL-IPC
IPC-SCL-IAH
ticketed on United, flying on both United and LATAM.

Problem is - can't get seat assignments for the LATAM segments.
United says seats not available until check-in, and LATAM doesn't even recognize the record locator.

I tried signing up for LATAM FF program and adding the flight, but it still acts blind.

Any suggestions on how to get seats?

Thanks
Old Nov 29, 2016, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Harry IAH
Tickets booked back in May for the flights:
IAH-SCL-IPC
IPC-SCL-IAH
ticketed on United, flying on both United and LATAM.

Problem is - can't get seat assignments for the LATAM segments.
United says seats not available until check-in, and LATAM doesn't even recognize the record locator.

I tried signing up for LATAM FF program and adding the flight, but it still acts blind.

Any suggestions on how to get seats?

Thanks
get the LATAM record locator for UA. If you don't see it online you might have to call UA.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
LH 481/480 vs UA 9458/9459

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a pair of non-stop business class tickets from DEN to MUC.

In order to avoid any connections and all the related possibilities of what can go wrong, I'm planning to book non-stop flights. Lufthansa flights 481/480 do the trick, but United also sells code-share flights (9458/9459) on those flights.

FWIW, I have MileagePlus Gold status though 2018 and am narrowing in on a million miles. I realize that no matter how I book I will not get any miles counting towards the million miles. However, are there any other considerations that I should keep in mind before I book my tickets on either the LH flights or the UA code-shares?

Thank in advance,
Rich
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Booking on UA, the LH flight / UA codeshare will earn PQDs
but codeshares present problems for upgrading with UA miles or GPUs, purchasing an upgrade to Prem Economy, seat assignments, actual partner fare class is hidden, ..

If a UA codeshare, LH will not touch the ticket until the day of travel. Codeshares lead to an extra layer if you need to do something after ticket purchase.

If you don't need the PQDs and have no UA flights, best to purchase directly.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Native flight numbers are always easier. However, you need an 016 ticket for PQDs (if relevant), and UA flight numbers make it easier to plate 016. YMMV.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Also - for business class tickets, the RDM when purchased from United can be significantly more.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jmanirish
Also - for business class tickets, the RDM when purchased from United can be significantly more.
or not ... BOS-YYZ-NRT-PEK-YYZ-BOS for $1.6k ... earned almost 3x keeping this on AC with 300% of distance.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
Native flight numbers are always easier.
I agree in general with this and my default would be native flight numbers, particularly since I've had trouble getting seat assignments on LH with a UA codeshare.

My one caveat is that if you're a UA elite (particularly 1K or GS) you will likely have better results calling to make changes before travel has commenced if you ticket through UA. LH phone agents are not particularly pleasant or accommodating, and they're certainly not going to waive a change fee, which UA agents will do pretty frequently.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.