Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated SIN (Singapore Changi) logistics / checkin / connections / lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
You will need an airport printed BPs, app-based BPs will not be generated or accepted.

Lounges
  • STATS (Terminal 1, 2, 3) open 24 hours
  • SQ KrisFlyer (for *G pax) / SilverKris (for J pax) lounges (Terminal 2, 3rd Floor, Mezzanine Level & Terminal 3, 3rd Floor, near to Gates A1-5) open 24 hours
  • TG Royal Silk Lounge (International Terminal 1, 3rd Floor, near West Immigration) (not open overnight)

Related threads - United Starting nonstop flight SFO-SIN - June 2016
UA Ending LAX-SIN, going 2x daily SFO-SIN, 27 OCT 2018
Changi early morning flight can I get airside the night before?
Print Wikipost

Consolidated SIN (Singapore Changi) logistics / checkin / connections / lounges

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Wow - 30+ hours in economy - that's brutal! Make sure you buy some compression socks and pace frequently up and down the plane. Don't know about the Gold lounge but I would choose the SQ business class lounge any day over the food court.

Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
Just a sidebar - went to purchase a jumbo 1.5L bottle of water to takeon the plane with me. The woman at the 7-11 had to put it in a sealed duty free bag and log it with my BP info and passport number. Then I was able to get it through security screening at the gate.
Excellent point that should be part of FAQ for the SIN airport master thread and all SIN flights! From what I experienced SQ has a checkpoint before every gate where liquids are confiscated. (To be fair I experienced the same idiotic nonsense at JKT). Good to know the workaround.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Don't know about the Gold lounge but I would choose the SQ business class lounge any day over the food court.
IIRC, since the OP is traveling in Y, they won't have access to the SKL since it's not a *G lounge.
Perhaps things have changed since I did my SIN runs.
Dave
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bseller
IIRC, since the OP is traveling in Y, they won't have access to the SKL since it's not a *G lounge.
Perhaps things have changed since I did my SIN runs.
They've not. Business pax only.

All the distractions at Changi should soften the blow
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All this for UA Gold? I certainly wouldn't think it's worth 30+ hours in Y class.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I am a frequent SIN transit flyer, and beleive me United is arrving and departing from T2. Forget about the websites that seldom been updated.

Skip the Krisflyer Gold lounge and go to the contract lounge. Better food and drinks. Not sure about the shower availability in the contract lounge. You will received the lounge pass from the transit desk upon landing. There is paid gym/shower facility on level two of T2 that is pretty clean, but the treadmill and weights are getting old.

I usually walk from T2 to T1 and onto T3, and then walk back (or take the train from T2 back to T3) to get exercise in between two long flights (EU to Australia vis SIN) during transit. Good walk and help with blood circulation after being on the plane for so long.

It is the best airport in the world, IMHO.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:13 am

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
You should be fine but take precautions to avoid DVT... Anyone can get it.

Krisflyer Gold lounge: no shower but OK lounge; reasonable food.

If you don't have checked baggage - no immigration - just security etc at gate... there are priority lines before security so it's best to get to the gate a bit early if you are in group 1 or 2

Dreamliner UA config is really comfy plane in E+ and good leg room. recently I flew business one way SFO to SIN and E+ the other and I found E+ more comfortable??!! the food is obviously better in business but still a lot of calories (I have a hard time saying no!).
Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by popoemt
Yes, I have the lounge card, I verified the ability to enter via the *A lounge access walk through on the *A website.
You didn't read the fine print. That is what I and others are warning you about. (KrisFlyer Business v. Gold).

Paid Lounge Membership Customers

As an eligible holder of Paid Lounge Membership, you have access to any Star Alliance member airline Business Class Lounge2. Eligible paid memberships include United Club and Air Canada Maple Leaf Club – Worldwide. You will need to show your boarding pass for a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport together with your valid eligible paid lounge membership card, displaying the Star Alliance Lounge Logo. You are entitled to a maximum of one guest.

2 Except in Singapore where the Singapore Airlines Krisflyer Gold Lounge is available.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by ermintrude
Dreamliner UA config is really comfy plane in E+ and good leg room. recently I flew business one way SFO to SIN and E+ the other and I found E+ more comfortable??!!

I mean no disrespect, but how could you possibly prefer a three-abreast E+ seat to a well-cushioned lie-flat J seat? Obviously UA's current BF hard product won't win any awards for privacy, but I'd think 99 people out of 100 would prefer the seat's comfort.

I'm more curious than anything.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:47 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Thanks to everyone for the help, sounds like I should have made it a stop over rather than a quick return...

*A quick comment, I do think it's a good move to do this for Gold, my silver status sucks at pretty much everything, I can't even get Econ+ at check in as its gone by the 24 hour mark, and the international lounge access adds a value as well (just my thoughts, but anything is better than silver nowadays).

Thanks again everyone, I'm looking forward to my 3 hours!
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
sounds like I should have made it a stop over rather than a quick return...
You could try to create a stopover by SDC'ing to the one-stop via HKG.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
... I had a printed boarding pass that said it wasn't valid until it was exchanged at check-in, but it still got me through immigration. ...
Were you able to access the SKL lounge with a print Boarding Pass that says it needs to be exchanged at checkin? It seems hit or miss with checkin when I am flying internationally. Sometimes I get a real BP (mobile or print). Sometimes, not. Even if I get thru immigration, I wonder if they'll let me in the SKL lounge without a "valid" BP. I suppose they should be able to look me up and I can show them my itn. I guess I also have to ensure my arrival at the lounge is after midnight so I count as "day of departure"

Worst case, being stuck airside outside the lounge is better than landside.

Last edited by eng3; Sep 28, 2016 at 7:02 pm
Old Sep 28, 2016, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks to everyone for the help, sounds like I should have made it a stop over rather than a quick return...

*A quick comment, I do think it's a good move to do this for Gold, my silver status sucks at pretty much everything, I can't even get Econ+ at check in as its gone by the 24 hour mark, and the international lounge access adds a value as well (just my thoughts, but anything is better than silver nowadays).

Thanks again everyone, I'm looking forward to my 3 hours!
Not to belabor the point, but you can buy a yearly subscription to economy plus for probably less money and definitely a lot less pain than a 35 hour SIN turnaround in economy. I also hate to disappoint you before you get disappointed yourself, but Gold status sucks as well.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:47 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by chavala
And you can even do the free city tour without clearing immigration. They just hang on to your passport. I did this same MR a couple years ago. The time went by fast between shopping and eating and napping when I felt like it. I don't think there is a rule about how long you stay.
How/where do you ask for this? I did a 12-hour stopover, the agent just stamped me in (including the little paper ticket), and I got stamped out again on exit.

FWIW immigration was pretty rapid both on entry and exit, no idea if that varies by time of day though.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Wow, I'm routed via SIN to SFO from HCMC.. I arrive at 3:00 pm and leave the next morning and was planning on doing a foodie run somewhere and a quick tour. Back to Back flights are tough.. But if you want *Gold and want a story for yourself go have it. I wouldn't listen to the naysayers. You only have to convince yourself. Safe Travels. BTW, there is another thread about UA 1/2 and cancellations. Take a look for that (I'm on my mobile now and can't search that well)..
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Wow, I'm routed via SIN to SFO from HCMC.. I arrive at 3:00 pm and leave the next morning and was planning on doing a foodie run somewhere and a quick tour. Back to Back flights are tough.. But if you want *Gold and want a story for yourself go have it. I wouldn't listen to the naysayers. You only have to convince yourself. Safe Travels. BTW, there is another thread about UA 1/2 and cancellations. Take a look for that (I'm on my mobile now and can't search that well)..
Excellent point. OP should make contingency plan if either UA 1 of 2 or both gets cancelled.

Perhaps it is just my bad luck, I have experienced more cancellations this year than ever before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.