Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated SIN (Singapore Changi) logistics / checkin / connections / lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
You will need an airport printed BPs, app-based BPs will not be generated or accepted.

Lounges
  • STATS (Terminal 1, 2, 3) open 24 hours
  • SQ KrisFlyer (for *G pax) / SilverKris (for J pax) lounges (Terminal 2, 3rd Floor, Mezzanine Level & Terminal 3, 3rd Floor, near to Gates A1-5) open 24 hours
  • TG Royal Silk Lounge (International Terminal 1, 3rd Floor, near West Immigration) (not open overnight)

Related threads - United Starting nonstop flight SFO-SIN - June 2016
UA Ending LAX-SIN, going 2x daily SFO-SIN, 27 OCT 2018
Changi early morning flight can I get airside the night before?
Print Wikipost

Consolidated SIN (Singapore Changi) logistics / checkin / connections / lounges

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer

Originating in SIN. I want to enter about 5pm for a 9pm SFO flight rather than wait until UA check in opens. Seems like I won’t get past exit immigration with a paper BP?

Alternatively, could I get that BP at 7am (during checkin for the AM SFO flight?). My plan is to be in the city during the day. I am staying at Crowne Plaza Changi night before.

thanks.
I believe others have done the AM check in for the PM flight. I think in this case it is the only way you can get through earlier than about 630pm.

You may as well try OLCI, but if the email BP has the previously-posted text I'm sure you won't be able to use it for exit immigration.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: United-1K+2MM, Bonvoy-LifetimeGold,IHG-Diamond-Ambassador
Originally Posted by fumje
I believe others have done the AM check in for the PM flight. I think in this case it is the only way you can get through earlier than about 630pm.

You may as well try OLCI, but if the email BP has the previously-posted text I'm sure you won't be able to use it for exit immigration.
I did it in February and it worked. Before I went to the passportcontrol and the interview in front of checkinn, I informed the "servicepersonal" (one lady with a unitedbatch) on the outer side of the checkinncounters.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
I wish UA participated in early bag-check; I think they're one of the few carriers into SIN that doesn't. With the JEWEL now open, it'd be nice to spend an afternoon there prior to the late day flights without paying them to store your bags.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I wish UA participated in early bag-check; I think they're one of the few carriers into SIN that doesn't. With the JEWEL now open, it'd be nice to spend an afternoon there prior to the late day flights without paying them to store your bags.
I stored my bag once at SIN.. I couldn't believe how inexpensive it was, it was in a back Corridor near an employee entrance on the second level I didn't like the one in baggage claim because all the bags are left unattended in the rear room. But the upstairs one in that corridor I just mentioned is fantastic, the gentleman's working there daughter was from California and he struck up a conversation with me when he saw my passport
Old Jun 8, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Flying Blue Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriot Plat (TWA / NWA - million miler)
if i have to sleep at Changi, i just book a points stay at the crown plaza. if you are C passenger, whats $150 for a nice bed and privacy?
Old Apr 16, 2022, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
United Airlines early check-in at Changi (SIN)?

So I'll be flying UA 2 from SIN-SFO. My plan is rather than spend the night at a hotel; I would get to SIN before midnight, check my suitcase, and spend the night hanging out at the airport. I don't know if the SIN lounges are open 24/7 like it was pre-pandemic. I'm now informed that my plan may not be workable because UA apparently doesn't participate in Changi's early check-in program, so I can't access airside. Is this true? Has anyone flown UA to Singapore during the pandemic? I'm wondering what I do in this instance with my suitcase if I want to spend the night at the airport?

Thank you!
Old Apr 16, 2022, 10:31 am

Programs: UA/Premier 1K, Bonvoy/Titanium
Originally Posted by lsquare
So I'll be flying UA 2 from SIN-SFO. My plan is rather than spend the night at a hotel; I would get to SIN before midnight, check my suitcase, and spend the night hanging out at the airport. I don't know if the SIN lounges are open 24/7 like it was pre-pandemic. I'm now informed that my plan may not be workable because UA apparently doesn't participate in Changi's early check-in program, so I can't access airside. Is this true? Has anyone flown UA to Singapore during the pandemic? I'm wondering what I do in this instance with my suitcase if I want to spend the night at the airport?

Thank you!
Will you be arriving on another flight the previous day? If no, you almost certainly won't have access to the secure airside area until the morning on which your UA2 departs since you won't be able to get a boarding pass. In this case, you would have your suitcase with you in the public area. While some stores remain open 24 hours, there is a limited selection after around 10pm.

If you will be arriving on another flight the previous day, you could stay in the secure airside area and use the SilverKris lounge (if you have access) and thereafter get your boarding pass from the transfer desk. Or you may exit earlier and get your baggage, assuming you have some.
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kohswisscheese
Will you be arriving on another flight the previous day? If no, you almost certainly won't have access to the secure airside area until the morning on which your UA2 departs since you won't be able to get a boarding pass. In this case, you would have your suitcase with you in the public area. While some stores remain open 24 hours, there is a limited selection after around 10pm.

If you will be arriving on another flight the previous day, you could stay in the secure airside area and use the SilverKris lounge (if you have access) and thereafter get your boarding pass from the transfer desk. Or you may exit earlier and get your baggage, assuming you have some.
​​​​​​I'm not sure if I understand you. Please bear with me. Let's say I fly UA 1, and I arrive on June 1, 2022, at 6:45 AM local time. Then I fly UA 2 on June 2, 2022, at 9 AM. Can I get a boarding pass from the transfer desk?

Thank you.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 10:49 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
UA policy is not to allow bag check more than 4 hours prior to flight -- is there a bag to check for a 24 hour stay?
SIN has a restrictive policy on BP issuance and get airside again the day before has not been allowed in the past. (more in this thread)
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA policy is not to allow bag check more than 4 hours prior to flight -- is there a bag to check for a 24 hour stay?
SIN has a restrictive policy on BP issuance and get airside again the day before has not been allowed in the past. (more in this thread)
I had no idea UA had this policy. I guess that's why UA never participated in Changi's early check-in program? Yes, I do have a bag to check.

I've done what I put in the OP with CX pre-COVID. It saved me a night at the hotel, and I did lounge hopping.

Last edited by lsquare; Apr 16, 2022 at 11:02 am
Old Apr 16, 2022, 10:54 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I had no idea UA had this policy. I guess that's why UA never participated in SIN earlyChangi's early check-in program? .....
Consolidated "How Early Can I Check My Luggage Before a UA Flight?" Thread [Merged]
And yes, UA does not participate in SIN early check-in, as discussed in this thread.

can not see either changing in the nearterm
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Years ago, with the SIN flight departing very very early in the morning, I thought I'd just arrive late the night prior and save myself a hotel room. I was able to get a BP via OLCI. Even with that BP, I was not allowed through security because apparently the checkin desk needs to put a "security stamp" on it. The procedures may have changed, but I would not bet on getting through security unless you are already airside due to a connection and don't need to leave.
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA/Premier 1K, Bonvoy/Titanium
​​​​​​I'm not sure if I understand you. Please bear with me. Let's say I fly UA 1, and I arrive on June 1, 2022, at 6:45 AM local time. Then I fly UA 2 on June 2, 2022, at 9 AM. Can I get a boarding pass from the transfer desk?

Thank you.
Sorry if unclear. If you have no need to leave the airside/secure area, you could theoretically remain airside and get your boarding pass on the morning of 2 Jun from the transfer desk. I'm not sure how early the Silverkris lounge will grant you access on the basis of your upcoming flight.
If you have bags in the above scenario, you could theoretically remain airside/secure until the morning of 2 Jun then go fetch them and check them in at the general check in area. This would remove the need for the transfer desk stop, since you'd get your BP from the general check in desk.

As others have said, once you leave airside/secure -- say to explore Singapore -- no clear way back in until the United counters open on the morning of 2 Jun.
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I had no idea UA had this policy. I guess that's why UA never participated in Changi's early check-in program? Yes, I do have a bag to check.

I've done what I put in the OP with CX pre-COVID. It saved me a night at the hotel, and I did lounge hopping.
Are you planning on checking a bag for a short turnaround at SIN? I’d suggest trying to get by with carryon bags only.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kohswisscheese
Sorry if unclear. If you have no need to leave the airside/secure area, you could theoretically remain airside and get your boarding pass on the morning of 2 Jun from the transfer desk. I'm not sure how early the Silverkris lounge will grant you access on the basis of your upcoming flight.
If you have bags in the above scenario, you could theoretically remain airside/secure until the morning of 2 Jun then go fetch them and check them in at the general check in area. This would remove the need for the transfer desk stop, since you'd get your BP from the general check in desk.

As others have said, once you leave airside/secure -- say to explore Singapore -- no clear way back in until the United counters open on the morning of 2 Jun.
I'm trying to understand how this will all work if, in theory, I don't have to leave the airside/secure area. Won't I still have to go to the secure area after clearing customs? I haven't been to SIN in a few years, so I don't remember what the immigration process was like. I also have a Priority Pass and my AMEX Platinum to enter some of the lounges at SIN.

If I have a bag in the scenario you described, what will happen to my suitcase if I don't leave airside to go and retrieve it? Remember, I'm scheduled to arrive at 6:45 AM and won't leave until 9 AM the following day, so it's about 26-hours. I'm just afraid my bag will go missing. I'll most likely have an Apple AirTag inside my checked suitcase to know roughly where it is at all times.

For a 9 AM departure time, I'm assuming UA counters won't open until 6 AM or so?

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Are you planning on checking a bag for a short turnaround at SIN? I’d suggest trying to get by with carryon bags only.
Have you flown UA to SIN during the pandemic? I would love to hear about your experiences. Unfortunately, I will have a suitcase. I know my life would be much easier if it were a carry-on.

Last edited by lsquare; Apr 17, 2022 at 10:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.