Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated TPE logistics / connections / lounges (lounge access issue Jan 2024)

Old Dec 30, 2023, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread: Consolidated TPE logistics / connections / lounges {Archive}

Jan 2024
Originally Posted by ftweb
I'm a 1K (hence *G) flying TPE-SFO in Polaris. The Singapore Airlines lounge in TPE terminal 2 displays the star alliance logo, but I was denied entrance as a UA *G flying UA. The agent told me that they have special permission from star alliance to deny United flyers and send us to the Plaza Premium lounge because of capacity problems. ....Thanks.
Originally Posted by kaboom36
I recently took UA872 from TPE to SFO departing 11:10am. I am a 1K and had a paid C Polaris seat. Upon checking at the UA TPE ticket counter, I was notified by the UA CheckIn agent 872 flight pax is to use "Plaza Premium Lounge" instead of Eva lounge for *G and UA Polaris business class ticketed passenger. I thought it was just another option or lounge we can use at TPE. Therefore, I still went to the Eva lounge (designated *G lounge) and tried to enter the lounge. I was denied entrance. The Eva lounge attendant said anyone with UA872 ticket regardless of *G status or business class can not use Eva lounge due to "space limitation". UA contracted with Plaza Premium Lounge for flight 872.

Then I got further clarification from lounge manager that this restriction is only for UA872 ticket passenger. And it's not restricted for another TPE to SFO flight UA852 which departed later during the day at 1:10pm.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated TPE logistics / connections / lounges (lounge access issue Jan 2024)

Old May 19, 2024, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The airport should care because passenger comfort and convenience is a major consideration. APEC has its own private security line as you go through security first, and then you can either go to the staffed immigration desk or walk over to an e-gate for exit. The e-gate is definitely faster, the staffed desk is often painfully slow. The last time I exited in November, I lucked out with a training session

For e-gate registration, unless you're entering TW a few times a year, $100 isn't worth it because you'll need to renew and pay again after a few years. APEC is more useful if you can get a card, there is a private lane for entry and exit, although you can get stuck behind strollers and wheelchairs. The APEC exit was also shared by flight crews, although they may have shifted them to another area based on my observation last time.

You'll want to find out where the APEC entry desk is ahead of time (far right side of the immigration hall) and the exit area because the airport staff, especially the old ones who don't speak english will try and push you to the regular foreigner lines even if you wave the APEC card at them.
With upgrades so difficult to asia, i haven't been traveling to asia much since COVID. Maybe things will change. For some reason, I thought that there was not much benefit from APEC for a US Citizen but I guess I'm wrong. I need to renew my GE in the next two months. I recall an APEC option. I'll look into it. Won't be using it for this upcoming trip.

Originally Posted by lsquare
Someone said the e-gate registration lasts 5 years. What happens if my passport expires in 2 years? Should I wait until I have to renew my passport?
I think there's a separate thread for egate but I would assume that there's a website to update your passport number like with GE
lsquare likes this.
Old May 19, 2024, 9:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by lsquare
Someone said the e-gate registration lasts 5 years. What happens if my passport expires in 2 years? Should I wait until I have to renew my passport?
Im not sure if it can be updated but I generally enter Taiwan 2-3 times a year, so thats 10-12 entries or about $8-10 per entry. Not sure if its worth it given APEC is only 0-5 minutes vs the 10-30 minutes for the regular foreigner line.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 19, 2024, 10:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
once again
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As this is the UA forum and there is an existing TPE e-gate thread and various TPE airport threads, let's return to an UA focus discussion.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
United747 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2024, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by eng3
Ah I see, that should speed things up. Though I suspect security is the main hold up
Reporting back.
Took the 6:30 train arriving before 730. 5 min wait in the 1k line (one 1k pax taking asking a while group). To my surprise, no huge line at security, took less than 5 min then no line for the egates. I was in the lounge by 745.
On arrival, they sent me to the electronic gate but it wouldnt read my passport. Had to wait in the manual line. Interestingly enough, a lady was checking passports and sending people at the front of the line over to the electronic gates.
​​​
uanj and Majuki like this.
Old Jun 13, 2024, 1:41 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by eng3
Reporting back.
Took the 6:30 train arriving before 730. 5 min wait in the 1k line (one 1k pax taking asking a while group). To my surprise, no huge line at security, took less than 5 min then no line for the egates. I was in the lounge by 745.
On arrival, they sent me to the electronic gate but it wouldnt read my passport. Had to wait in the manual line. Interestingly enough, a lady was checking passports and sending people at the front of the line over to the electronic gates.
​​​

Good to hear about security. I've heard from others it can be bad in the morning but I actually have not had a problem myself. Overall they have a better handle on security staffing than last year when they got slammed as travel exploded. So many people are travelling to Taiwan and Japan now, it's incredible.
Old Jun 13, 2024, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I arrived TPE two weeks ago and left last week.

Security line on arrival is empty due to my SFO-TPE landed around 4:30 am. The only issue is waiting for public transportation to go online to travel to Taipei in such early morning hours.

On the return, the airport is busy, but the security lanes moved fast. I used the APEC lane while my daughter used the regular lane and we both went through at the same time.

EVA Infinity Lounge was packed on the left side, but fairly empty on the right side. Good selection of local food. My daughter and I decided to choose the good old American hot dog because we have indulged ourselves with amazing Taiwanese food for a week and anything served in the lounge paled in comparison.

SPN Lifer and Warriorconcept like this.
Old Jun 30, 2024, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I arrived TPE two weeks ago and left last week.

Security line on arrival is empty due to my SFO-TPE landed around 4:30 am. The only issue is waiting for public transportation to go online to travel to Taipei in such early morning hours.

On the return, the airport is busy, but the security lanes moved fast. I used the APEC lane while my daughter used the regular lane and we both went through at the same time.

EVA Infinity Lounge was packed on the left side, but fairly empty on the right side. Good selection of local food. My daughter and I decided to choose the good old American hot dog because we have indulged ourselves with amazing Taiwanese food for a week and anything served in the lounge paled in comparison.
Doing that SFO-TPE flight this week, do you remember what time public transportation went live?
Old Jun 30, 2024, 5:20 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Warriorconcept
Doing that SFO-TPE flight this week, do you remember what time public transportation went live?
There's 24 hour bus service to Taipei station. https://www.taiwanbus.tw/eBUSPage/Qu...02798663&lan=E Maybe the other poster was thinking of the train that starts at 6am.
Taxi is also not that expensive by US standards.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2024, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by m.y
There's 24 hour bus service to Taipei station. https://www.taiwanbus.tw/eBUSPage/Qu...02798663&lan=E Maybe the other poster was thinking of the train that starts at 6am.
Taxi is also not that expensive by US standards.
Thanks! Seems to be a heatwave this week so may just uber if there's no delays.
Old Jun 30, 2024, 6:29 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Thanks! Seems to be a heatwave this week so may just uber if there's no delays.
Im in Taipei right now - this heat wave is likely here until October. 90s are the norm with very high humidity so prepare accordingly.
Old Jun 30, 2024, 7:18 pm

I’m in Taipei right now - this heat wave is likely here until October. 90s are the norm with very high humidity so prepare accordingly.
Should've bought a sun umbrella...good thing the GH has a pool!

I'll be on UA 852 next ween so it seems I'll be fine for the BR Infinity lounge right? I also have UC membership, would that get me into the SQ lounge ? Star alliance website says I get access to both...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 1, 2024 at 1:34 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 1, 2024, 5:24 pm

Should've bought a sun umbrella...good thing the GH has a pool!

I'll be on UA 852 next ween so it seems I'll be fine for the BR Infinity lounge right? I also have UC membership, would that get me into the SQ lounge ? Star alliance website says I get access to both...
You'll need more than a sun umbrella, I have a cooling hat and towel (you wet and flick them to make them "cool") and even then I'm dying - last night it was so warm and humid I wrapped the cooling towel around my forehead like a headband and soaked right through it, the sweat was endless.

We're re-thinking the plan for next year if we're coming here during May-Oct or not.

For lounges are you *G or flying business? Or just a UC member?
Old Jul 1, 2024, 5:33 pm

You'll need more than a sun umbrella, I have a cooling hat and towel (you wet and flick them to make them "cool") and even then I'm dying - last night it was so warm and humid I wrapped the cooling towel around my forehead like a headband and soaked right through it, the sweat was endless.

We're re-thinking the plan for next year if we're coming here during May-Oct or not.

For lounges are you *G or flying business? Or just a UC member?
Sheesh that sounds rough...guess it'll be night markets only for me.

I was there last November and the weather was great fwiw.

Flying business, will be in Polaris.
Old Jul 1, 2024, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
I'll be on UA 852 next ween so it seems I'll be fine for the BR Infinity lounge right? I also have UC membership, would that get me into the SQ lounge ?
Unless they changed their hours recently, the SQ lounge doesn't open until 11:30 am, which may not be much time before UA852.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2024, 8:48 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by econ
Unless they changed their hours recently, the SQ lounge doesn't open until 11:30 am, which may not be much time before UA852.
Has the SQ lounge reopened since the plumbing issue in April? Honestly there are not any lounges in TPE to get excited over.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.