FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated UA Damaged Baggage Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1790035-consolidated-ua-damaged-baggage-issues.html)

morelegroom Dec 7, 2013 10:03 am

Consolidated UA Damaged Baggage Issues

My bag was Destroyed by United on a flight BWI-EWR-BON.
Every time I call , the United System hangs up
here are the last 5 calls
[12:45:53 PM] *** Call to +12818213526, duration 00:15. ***
[12:51:00 PM] *** Call to +12818213526, duration 00:26. ***
[12:54:01 PM] *** Call to united baggage, duration 00:12. ***
[12:55:10 PM] *** Call to united baggage, duration 00:26. ***
[12:57:28 PM] *** Call to united baggage, duration 00:12. ***

Is there any published email address to file a damaged baggage claim?

IAH-OIL-TRASH Dec 7, 2013 10:39 am

I'd just call Unted and ask for number or e-mail.

Why did you not submit claim at airport so you could show them the damage? It's could be a little harder now.

"Damaged baggage should be reported to and viewed by the airport Baggage Service Office immediately after the arrival of your flight, and must also be viewed by and reported in writing to United Airlines no later than 24 hours after flight arrival for flights within or between the United States, Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. For all other international flights, any damaged baggage must be reported in writing and must be substantiated by proof of claim acceptable to United no later than seven days after the flight's arrival. "

morelegroom Dec 7, 2013 10:43 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 21921315)
I'd just call Unted and ask for number or e-mail.

Why did you not submit claim at airport so you could show them the damage? It's could be a little harder now.

"Damaged baggage should be reported to and viewed by the airport Baggage Service Office immediately after the arrival of your flight, and must also be viewed by and reported in writing to United Airlines no later than 24 hours after flight arrival for flights within or between the United States, Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. For all other international flights, any damaged baggage must be reported in writing and must be substantiated by proof of claim acceptable to United no later than seven days after the flight's arrival. "

I am in Bonaire a small volcanic island without a phone

If there had been someone at the air port I WOULD HAVE REPORTED IT

If I had phone with which I could have a telephone conversation I wouldn't have this problem

I also note that United does not make it's claim form a "fill in " pdf
you have to have a printer to use it..

https://www.united.com/web/format/pd...tyClaim_en.pdf

PV_Premier Dec 7, 2013 11:09 am

Originally Posted by morelegroom (Post 21921341)

If I had phone with which I could have a telephone conversation I wouldn't have this problem

i would call UA reservations and ask them to connect you with baggage services.

assuming you are posting this from smartphone or you just don't have access to a printer.

in that case take some pictures of the bag damage on your smartphone, and then contact someone with better connectivity to help you. send them the pics, and the link to the pdf, and have them file it on your behalf.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Dec 7, 2013 11:27 am

Originally Posted by morelegroom (Post 21921341)

I've been to Bonaire. I have seen phones there.

Aside from that, a laborious workaround on the PDF is to take a snapshot of it with WisdomSoft screenhunter (or similar), add your text w/ an image editor. There are also PDF tools that will allow you to fill it in. Then send in w/ picture. No need for printer.

LaserSailor Dec 7, 2013 2:22 pm

Do not leave an airport without documenting damaged luggage to a UA agent of any flavor. Full stop.

TWA Fan 1 Dec 7, 2013 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 21921612)
I've been to Bonaire. I have seen phones there.

Aside from that, a laborious workaround on the PDF is to take a snapshot of it with WisdomSoft screenhunter (or similar), add your text w/ an image editor. There are also PDF tools that will allow you to fill it in. Then send in w/ picture. No need for printer.

That sounds like a breeze...

But seriously wouldn't it be easier if United just answered the phone? ;)

KenInEscazu Dec 7, 2013 2:46 pm

I have had UA destroy bags before, and their procedure is a nightmare on a good day. Policy is that it is the responsibility of the airport crew where the damage was discovered. I don't know what I would have done in your case, as you indicate that there was nobody there to whom you could report the damage.

Take photos. Document every detail. Prepare yourself for a lengthy and frustrating reimbursement process. My experience is that they will eventually compensate you fairly for your loss, but they won't make it one bit easy.

Wish I had better experience to share. Best of luck to you.

WineCountryUA Dec 7, 2013 2:47 pm

Use skype /googletalk/... and call the 800 number.

Send a "faxed" letter / message (even without the form) via your -- many available services to convert an e-mail or document to a fax.

morelegroom Dec 7, 2013 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 21922503)
Use skype /googletalk/... and call the 800 number.

Send a "faxed" letter / message (even without the form) via your -- many available services to convert an e-mail or document to a fax.

I posted my part of skype log
9 attempts and in every case United terminated the call.
I have two computers and three tablets here. 4 digital cameras. What I do not have is a working phone. Yes I know I can get to a post office and they have a phone.
I have sent full details. via email to united customer care.

The flight was delayed due to mechanical problems i with the APU in EWR.
by the time it got here there was some kind of problem assembling the baggage crew, so the baggage was delayed. etc etc.

I simply find it INCREDIBLE in the 21st century that United does not have an email address where you can submit a claim

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 21922503)

Thank you for this excellent reminder. I am trying to do it. I had previosly been unable to use such services from some parts of Europe for some reason but Bonaire does connect. I have made the attempt to send the fax and I am waiting for confirmation.

eng3 Dec 20, 2014 3:47 pm

Baggage Damage

(I thought there was a consolidated thread for these questions, but I couldnt find it.)

I've never filed a baggage damage claim before. I've had minor issues, wear, broken off zipper handles. The bag itself is nylon but has a leather layer on the bottom for protection. In my last flight (intl returning to US), I noticed a tear/cut in the leather and it was peeled back. Not knowing what counts as major and what counts as minor damage, I reported it to my baggage office. They said it was a "minor" tear so it normally is not covered but since I was on an intl flight, everything is covered. They told me I'd have to leave my bag to be repaired. This surprised me a bit because I was expecting some token voucher or something. I said that all my stuff is in my bag so I can't leave it. They said I can come back within 30 days and leave it and then file a claim. I asked if they can file the claim now and said yes so thats what they did. They said that the bag would be mailed back to me.

Is this typical for "minor" things? Should I try calling the baggage line to ask for some sort of compensation instead, hoping they actually send it? Is this the norm?

I'm flying next week so I could bring two bags, get to the airport early, go over to arrivals to drop my bag. Its a little inconvenience obviously. Also this will be a longer trip and that bag happens to be my larger bag.

jpezaris Dec 20, 2014 5:41 pm

I've had a few bags repaired or replaced and the outcome is always better when it's replaced, in my experience. But then, the damage my bags have suffered are things like a snapped-off handle (one of the telescoping ones), or a missing wheel.

For minor damage as you're describing, it sounds normal. If you're handy with things, you might well do a better job repairing it yourself. If you leave it to be repaired by a service, it is unlikely, again in my experience, to look anything close to new.

artvandalay Dec 20, 2014 7:00 pm

Your experience sounds normal to me, as jpezaris explains the likely outcome if you choose to file a claim. Last week, my bag came out the chute missing its handle. UA offered a replacement bag or I could fill out a form, drop the bag off later for repair, and accept whatever the luggage shop could provide. I decided to fix it myself.

eng3 Dec 20, 2014 7:31 pm

thanks.

I already filed the claim, I just need to drop it off.
Replacing the bag was not an option that was offered.

I had hopped they'd offer some voucher or something and I'd prob just use it to help offset the cost of a new bag.

I guess I'll just drop it off for repair. it can't be worse

Miles Ahead Dec 20, 2014 9:33 pm

I've had bags damaged before. United has never repaired them, but they have given me a voucher for repair. I had it done at a more expensive place, and they accepted the voucher and charged me the difference. I was happy with the outcome.

They have also offered to let me swap with one of their bags - presumably lost luggage.