Old Sep 11, 2016, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated UA Damaged Baggage Issues

Old Jun 26, 2019, 12:33 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Star Alliance Gold, Titanium Elite Marriott, Celebrity Elite, IHG, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Question for those who have gone through this with United.

My bag arrived with a deep dent which punctured the shell. I spoke with the UA agent at their baggage service counter at the airport.
All the UA agent did was take my info and advised that an email will be sent shortly. After leaving the airport, I confirmed I received a damaged baggage report email, with a reference number.

My question now is, what are the next steps? Am I supposed to do anything else (ie. submit any documentation etc?) Do I just sit and wait for UA to contact me?
Called United speak to the Baggage Resolution. You have a record United will repair your luggage or replace it if it can't be repaired.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by breakthrough37
Called United speak to the Baggage Resolution. You have a record United will repair your luggage or replace it if it can't be repaired.
So to follow up, United asked me to fill out a claim form and provide some documentation, but they don't say how long the process will take.

Anyone have experience what kind of time frame I should expect? Is it a 5-10 business day sort of deal, or is it something that's going to take weeks?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Star Alliance Gold, Titanium Elite Marriott, Celebrity Elite, IHG, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
So to follow up, United asked me to fill out a claim form and provide some documentation, but they don't say how long the process will take.

Anyone have experience what kind of time frame I should expect? Is it a 5-10 business day sort of deal, or is it something that's going to take weeks?
It depends on the amount of damage that you are claiming. If it is minor it should be less than a month. If it is a total lost a month or more it depends you have to be pro-active and follow up. Once you have a specific person to contact and the record is updated it will be a lot easier to follow up.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Perils of checking luggage... volume 37

I may expect a broken wheel, but not two entire wheel assemblies missing....

Nobody at the SFO international luggage desk, either!

So, since I had to get to wrok, and I'm heading back to SFO for a flight on Thursday, what's the strategy for getting United (or a partner airline, there were multiple airlines involved in this checked luggage, so who knows?) to pony up for a repair?

Do I go to the luggage spot (where is it) @sfo, and how long should I budget for it?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Don't airlines specifically absolve themselves of any responsibility related to wheels?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ryman554
I may expect a broken wheel, but not two entire wheel assemblies missing....
Nobody at the SFO international luggage desk, either!

So, since I had to get to wrok, and I'm heading back to SFO for a flight on Thursday, what's the strategy for getting United (or a partner airline, there were multiple airlines involved in this checked luggage, so who knows?) to pony up for a repair? ...
Did you file a claim at the airport where you received the damaged bag and with the carrier that delivered the bag to that airport?

Otherwise if domestic travel you have 24 hours to report (if UA was the last carrier). International you have 7 days.

If the delivering carrier was not UA, then you contact that carrier.

The thread's wiki has a simple graphic.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Don't airlines specifically absolve themselves of any responsibility related to wheels?
They can try but DOT NOTICE REGARDING DAMAGE TO WHEELS, HANDLES, AND OTHER COMPONENTS OF CHECKED BAGGAGE Nov 2015

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 9, 2019 at 6:23 pm Reason: DOT link
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Did you file a claim at the airport where you received the damaged bag and with the carrier that delivered the bag to that airport?

Otherwise if domestic travel you have 24 hours to report (if UA was the last carrier). International you have 7 days.

If the delivering carrier was not UA, then you contact that carrier.

The thread's wiki has a simple graphic.
I saw the graphic -- the specific question is:
1. Where do I go @sfo when I return on Thursday. Domestic baggage office in T3, even though it was an international flight? Somewhere else?
2. How long will it take?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:22 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Not sure if this is the correct thread, but I'll try. After an involuntary downgrade from Polaris to E+ that I talked about in another thread (and am still waiting on United response since GA would not offer oversell comp) I arrived home to find my Briggs and Riley hardside suitcase had been cracked. Fortunately the inner liner did not break so nothing fell out.

United said I could buy a replacement suitcase and submit for reimbursement from them, but I'm going to verify as I can't see them issuing $500-$700 check without even a picture of the damage (I do have a claim).

Do you think I could talk them into a $1000 ETC as compensation as opposed to a reimbursement check? I assume they'd rather give me more in funny money than in real money.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bigshooter
United said I could buy a replacement suitcase and submit for reimbursement from them, but I'm going to verify as I can't see them issuing $500-$700 check without even a picture of the damage (I do have a claim).
I mean, that's the policy, but B&R has a lifetime guarantee... just send it back to them. . What confuses me is that generally, they require that you demonstrate the damage prior to leaving the airport, or at least immediately thereafter. You didn't file a claim until you got home?

Do you think I could talk them into a $1000 ETC as compensation as opposed to a reimbursement check? I assume they'd rather give me more in funny money than in real money.
You can certainly ask; I don't remember any reports on that topic either way.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:41 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Originally Posted by jsloan
I mean, that's the policy, but B&R has a lifetime guarantee... just send it back to them. . What confuses me is that generally, they require that you demonstrate the damage prior to leaving the airport, or at least immediately thereafter. You didn't file a claim until you got home?
I filed a claim at the airport. They wanted to give me one of their replacement bags which I politely declined but then told me I need to call the baggage supervisor during the week and that he is only available certain hours. I called United on the way home and they gave me the option to buy a new one since I wasn't sure how easy it will be for B&R to repair a polycarb bag.

Originally Posted by jsloan
You can certainly ask; I don't remember any reports on that topic either way.
I'm still not convinced the person I spoke to had the power to authorize a $500+ check to be sent... will double check and offer the ETC option.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 12, 2019 at 5:14 pm
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm still not convinced the person I spoke to had the power to authorize a $500+ check to be sent... will double check and offer the ETC option.
As long as you reported it at the airport, they're responsible for damage. The DOT "reminded" the airlines a couple of years ago that they don't have the right to decline or disclaim this responsibility (up to DOT limits of, I think, $3500 for a domestic itinerary and about $1550 for an international itinerary).

B&R's warranty is great. I sent in a soft-side bag that had a frayed seam, effectively creating a hole. I expected my bag to be returned with a patch. I got a brand-new bag instead. If B&R can't repair it, they'll replace it. The only thing I had to pay was for one-way shipment of the bag to a B&R repair center. (Return shipping was free).
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
...they gave me the option to buy a new one since I wasn't sure how easy it will be for B&R to repair a polycarb bag.
B&R will replace it, no questions asked
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:19 pm

Just bill the shipping off to United then?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:30 pm

Just bill the shipping off to United then?
Drop it off at a local B&R dealer or B&R service center, if none close, that UA will be glad to pichup the shipping costs instead of purchasing a new bag.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Drop it off at a local B&R dealer or B&R service center, if none close, that UA will be glad to pichup the shipping costs instead of purchasing a new bag.
The local B&R authorized repair center apparently charges $50 for shipping since they have to send the bag in for repair. B&R also informed me polycarbonate repair could take 6-8 weeks so I'm going the new bag route as I need this for a trip to Hong Kong in a few weeks (pending the airport being open). I'll probably get the old bag fixed at some point unless United wants it back.
jsloan likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.