Old Sep 11, 2016, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated UA Damaged Baggage Issues

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2016, 11:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by stevento
It's the "in-writing" part that's throwing me off.
There is no address for reporting it in writing.
You could try:

United Airlines Baggage Services
1 Newark Airport, Newark, NJ 07114.

You could also send a copy to Customer Care (Customer Care) explaining that the baggage office was not staffed and that they do not answer the phone and that you expect reimbursement for the damage to your bag.

Note that claim form must be filed within 45 days. CustomerPropertyClaim

If they blew me off after all that, I might file a DOT complaint just on principal.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 1:46 pm

Damaged Baggage

My baggage came out of baggage claim with a huge gash on Friday night. Flight was cross country arriving at 12:30 am to a small airport so there weren't many attendants around. I decided to deal with it before departing for my next flight - today. It's been ~36 hours and United says that they cannot do anything since I did not report within 24 hours. I'm global services and they were extremely rude and did not try to help at all. Is this normal? I never have really had any complaints so was very surprised by the complete lack of help or sympathy.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 2:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, ua_5040

Originally Posted by ua_5040
My baggage came out of baggage claim with a huge gash on Friday night. Flight was cross country arriving at 12:30 am to a small airport so there weren't many attendants around. I decided to deal with it before departing for my next flight - today. It's been ~36 hours and United says that they cannot do anything since I did not report within 24 hours. I'm global services and they were extremely rude and did not try to help at all. Is this normal? I never have really had any complaints so was very surprised by the complete lack of help or sympathy.
The 24 hour rule is published and fairly standard.

Give the GS line a call -- they may be open to addressing your issue than a small out-station (staffed with contractors?)

or
If you have additional questions about damaged baggage, please contact the Baggage Resolution Service Center at 1-800-335-BAGS (1-800-335-2247) from the U.S. and Canada or 1-281-821-3526 from outside the U.S. and Canada.
Reporting damaged baggage

When reporting damaged baggage, please make sure to leave your bag tags attached to your luggage.

If you’re still at the airport…

Report damaged baggage to the airport Baggage Service Office, located near the baggage claim area, immediately after your flight. A United representative will examine your damaged baggage and you will receive a file number. You may be asked to complete a damaged baggage claim form.

If you’ve left the airport…

For United-operated flights within or between the U.S., Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, damaged baggage must be viewed by and reported in person at the airport Baggage Service Office within 24 hours after flight arrival to be eligible for repair or replacement.

For all international flights operated by United, damaged baggage must be reported in writing or in person at the airport Baggage Service Office no later than seven days after flight arrival to be eligible for repair or replacement.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by ua_5040
I wouldn't even bother with the baggage helpline. In my case, I tried to report. At the airport property desk, at UA services, on the phone (who advised to return to the airport). All within 12 hours. All of them refused to log the damage because it was "damage including a wheel" (even a corner had been ripped off, so beyond the published threshold ). When I called back the next day, I was told that as I didn't have a log number, I can't have met the 24 hour window.

In other words, good luck.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 7:21 am

Programs: UA 2P, NWA & AirTran A+ refugee
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
One reason oil field trash buy cheap luggage is that can be replaced 5 times for what some people pay for theirs. In my circle. purchase price of checked bags is usually inversely proportional to career travel miles. Fix a $300 bag? Phhhht. Pull another fifty buck one out of the quiver. Time is money. Time at baggage claim office, time taking it to be repaired, time to pick it up. Count me out.

Maybe a better idea for some is to buy a cheap bag to put their expensive bag in.
I second this approach. I have a super-nice RedOxx bag that, simply stated, I will never check. For checked luggage, I have "beaters."

For those anywhere near Alabama, it is worth a drive to check out the Unclaimed Baggage store: www.unclaimedbaggage.com
They purchase and resell all manner of items from lost, unclaimed luggage. Think of it like a thrift store on steroids.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:11 pm

Damaged Checked baggage -Airlines not responding.

Hello Guys,

I did my 1st award travel in business class but may be its my worst ever.
My tickets are issued by United. My flights are Air India and United.

DEL-BOM-EWR (On Air India) and EWR-SYR on United.
I checked 2 bags in Delhi..and by the time reached Newark, I saw only one bag and other bag after an hour of search, was found to be broken terribly on all sides and plastic wrapped 360 degrees.

Air India filed a damaged bag report in Newark. By the time I reached my final destination, I found my 2nd checked bag also broken with a big crack on it.
United provided a bag damage report.

Here is the funny part.
Air India provided me 3 phone numbers for Newark and 2 different emails.
And dang no one ever attends the phone call nor replies to emails.
United was much better. They bothered to send at least they are gonna take like 30 days to reply back.

My United card provides the lost/damaged luggage insurance. I provided all the information what the insurance company has asked for except for
"A copy of the Settlement Response outlining or declining payment from the Common Carrier"

When I call United baggage services, they say that they won't provide anything in writing but asking me to provide their direct number and ask the claims agent to contact United directly with the bag damage case ID.

With regarding Air India, I have no clue as how I would get anything as they don't care any of my calls or emails.

Are there any other options for me on how to get the settlement response?..
Will my claim me denied if I cannot get this letter from the common carrier.

Please let me know !

Last edited by nvtech; Mar 27, 2017 at 12:39 pm
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:13 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to the UA Forum. Please follow there.
Thanks...Good Luck..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
There's not enough info. at the moment to help you further.

It it sounds like you flew out of BOM into EWR. Not sure if this was a nonstop flight, or there was a connection involved.

The most important question to answer is who flew the segment into Newark (I.e., which carrier was the last you flew with to your destination). Any reports, documentation, and claims etc. needs to be handled through them. Sounds like it may be AI (and in that case, this probably isn't the best forum), but I'm not really clear.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
There's not enough info. at the moment to help you further.

It it sounds like you flew out of BOM into EWR. Not sure if this was a nonstop flight, or there was a connection involved.

The most important question to answer is who flew the segment into Newark (I.e., which carrier was the last you flew with to your destination). Any reports, documentation, and claims etc. needs to be handled through them. Sounds like it may be AI (and in that case, this probably isn't the best forum), but I'm not really clear.
Sorry..Let me provide the right Info.

Its DEL-BOM and BOM-EWR Both on Air India 150 . And then EWR-SYR on a United Flight.
The 1st bag was completely damaged by Air India..and the 2nd bag was damaged by United in the 2nd leg.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:46 pm

Last time I had a bag damaged when flying United, I filed a claim right there at the baggage office. They have a special form where damage was noted. As the damage was only to the bag, they offered either to pay for replacement (not sure how much) or repair the bag. I opted for repair, so they directed me to a repair place - which did the work for free (though, admittedly, quality was not the best).

Did you get a damage report on arrival at SYR? It may be worth going to the baggage office at SYR in person.

BTW, as a point of comparison, when last year Shenzhen airlines damaged (the same, go figure) bag - they offered me a new hard case rolling luggage right on the spot at the baggage office as a replacement That's what I call service (of course what they offered was a cheap Chinese knock off )
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by br2k
Last time I had a bag damaged when flying United, I filed a claim right there at the baggage office. They have a special form where damage was noted. As the damage was only to the bag, they offered either to pay for replacement (not sure how much) or repair the bag. I opted for repair, so they directed me to a repair place - which did the work for free (though, admittedly, quality was not the best).

Did you get a damage report on arrival at SYR? It may be worth going to the baggage office at SYR in person.

BTW, as a point of comparison, when last year Shenzhen airlines damaged (the same, go figure) bag - they offered me a new hard case rolling luggage right on the spot at the baggage office as a replacement That's what I call service (of course what they offered was a cheap Chinese knock off )

My 1st bag damaged report was through Air India and they provided me a report at Newark. All they told me is that they are going to call me but since the last 45 days..5 emails and almost 10 calls..no reply to anything.

Regarding my 2nd damaged bag, It was with United and they provided me the report at Syracuse. United said they are going to help in getting the bag repaired.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nvtech
My 1st bag damaged report was through Air India and they provided me a report at Newark. All they told me is that they are going to call me but since the last 45 days..5 emails and almost 10 calls..no reply to anything.

Regarding my 2nd damaged bag, It was with United and they provided me the report at Syracuse. United said they are going to help in getting the bag repaired.
So where are you looking for help on? The Air India report or the UA report? Normally you deal with just the destination carrier but having file the report with Air India , you may had made this two separate cases.

Since bag issues need to be reported within 24 hours of arrival, you are too late to address the first bag issue with UA.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is UA Paying for Damaged Wheel on Checked Bag Now?

I had always thought that wheels on checked bags are considered external and UA would not pay for it if it is damaged.

Today, my 4 wheeled bag arrived with 3 wheels after a TPAC flight. The UA baggage office said no problem - they will fix it. Has this rule changed? Maybe because of all these 4 wheels bags nowadays, they have no choice?

Is this a UA thing or an IATA thing?

Thanks.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by username
The UA baggage office said no problem - they will fix it. Has this rule changed?
Yes DOT told the airlines they had to pay.

DOT Baggage Guidance
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It has never been an issue on international flights as those are covered by the Montreal Convention and thus UA --- and the other US carriers --- have pretty much uniformly paid for, repaired or simply replaced any bag which is damaged.

The issue had been domestic flights where US carriers were exempting themselves by policy, not COC, from repairing wheels, handles, zippers and the like.

The DOT warning letter required the carriers to either treat that sort of damage like any other damage or require an individualized waiver (not practical), or not accept such bags for carriage (not practical).

At ORD, if you have a standard bag not a luxury brand, UA often stocks replacements and will swimply swap yours for theirs if you are willing to to so. E.g. 24" black roller for similar. You don't have to, but to be in and out in 5 minutes and not spend forever worrying about it means a lot to many people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.