FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated UA Damaged Baggage Issues

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2016, 9:13 pm

Programs: AMX CENT
Originally Posted by garykung
I am not giving excuses for UA's non-service.

To me, it is simpler to deal with AMEX than UA for the difference.
I agree. Amex customer service (at least our experience) has been nothing short of exceptional. One of the main reasons I keep the card. When i had a catastrophic accident while on vacation- they arranged everything for me while i was in hospital and also kept in contact with my wife to make sure she was okay and if they could help her in anyway.

Again, its about calling out bad service and the principle. At the end its costing me more than $50 in my time calling them....
Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, Turkish
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Gold status has no impact on the Contract of Carriage terms relative to checked bags you agreed to when you purchased the ticket. Granted, most people don't bother to read it, but that certainly is not UA's fault:

"UA shall not be liable for loss of or damage to protruding parts such as wheels, feet, external pockets, pull and extending handles, hanger hooks, external locks, pull straps and security straps."

UA has the right to deny your claim as compensation is clearly not due, but you can try anyway.
DOT formally invalidated Uniteds exclusion on Nov 15 2015
https://www.transportation.gov/sites...v_11242015.pdf

The Enforcement Office considers categorical exclusions for damage to specific parts of the
checked baggage to be arbitrary limitations of liability in violation of Part 254.
Although carriers are not required to cover fair wear and tear, damage to handles, straps,
wheels and zippers often extends beyond what is appropriately categorized as fair wear and tear
resulting from ordinary handling of baggage. In such cases, carriers should be prepared to
reimburse the passenger appropriately.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 19, 2016 at 11:12 am Reason: repaired post
Old Apr 17, 2016, 9:21 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Advice regarding damaged luggage

Evening folks. I would appreciate any advice from UA veterans. We are flying YQR-YYZ-IAH-LIM, with AC for the first segment and UA the rest. We are currently overnighting in IAH and are scheduled to leave at 4pm ish tomorrow.

My wife's suitcase has been damaged at IAH so that it is unusable for the rest of the journey. It was caught under the edge of the belt. My big concern, however, is that it was open when it came out of the belt. I fail to understand how it could be unzipped on 3 sides by being caught. I suspect that it had been opened and searched for valuables/ drugs ( we had some medication or altitude sickness in a container that has gone). There was no TSA inspection card but given how it came out of the belt, where the contents were just held in by the internal straps that wouldn't be surprising. Although why would it be open all the way from YYZ to IAH without it being an issue. My bet is that it was possibly opened in IAH. It had Priority tags but was one of the last bags out. In addition all the interior zips / pouches were open and my wife believes that they were closed when we left home. ( she is a neat freak and it would be lie her to zip everything up).

All that said my questions are with respect to what I should reasonably expect from UA? It is an 18 month old Tumi 29" and we were offered a Samsonite as a replacement. I declined believing that accepting it would weaken our bargaining position. I'm not sure if it is repairable and even if so I would have to ship I to Tumi and pay for it shipping back to Canada. All to be organized tomorrow morning before we check in for our next flight. In the meantime we need to get a replacement bag.

If I buy a like for like replacement can I expect UA to reimburse me? Would I be reasonable keeping taxi receipts for the 30 mile trip each way to the store? Was I unreasonable declining the Samsonite. Nothing wrong with Samsonite. We own them ourselves but it's kind of like being asked to accept a Chevy as a replacement for a Lexus and expected to be happy about it.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Fizzer; Apr 17, 2016 at 9:28 pm
Old Apr 17, 2016, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Fizzer
...If I buy a like for like replacement can I expect UA to reimburse me? Would I be reasonable keeping taxi receipts for the 30 mile trip each way to the store? Was I unreasonable declining the Samsonite. Nothing wrong with Samsonite. We own them ourselves but it's kind of like being asked to accept a Chevy as a replacement for a Lexus and expected to be happy about it.
"No" will be the answer on the taxi rides.
The receipt for the Tumi should get you what you are due.
If you had been using a "Chevy" in the first place, you wouldn't in such a predicament - you could have taken the offered replacement and have been done with it. In 30 years of travel, I've never paid more than $100 for a bag I'm gonna check.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 10:54 pm

Ironically having been through several Samsonite, Delsey and Travelpro over the years we bought the Tumi at a Black Friday discount based upon it's reputation for durability.

I didn't really expect the taxi fares but thought I'd ask. Thanks anyway.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Wasn't even aware the airlines still paid for damages to bags. Learn something new every day! Cool beans!

And also makes me possibly reconsider my ongoing repairs to my hardshell case using duct-tape and hotmelt-glue!
Old Apr 18, 2016, 2:31 am
Used to be 'thiti'

Programs: UA-PP 1MM, Hyatt-Globalist, Bonvoy-LT Titanium, Hertz-Pres Cir
If United refuses to pay/replace, keep track of all documents and check with your credit card you used to buy your ticket. You may be eligible for baggage replacement benefit.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I'd buy a super cheap 29 inch...put the clothes inside and take care of it all when you return home.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/baggage
Old Apr 18, 2016, 8:00 am

Thanks to everyone. It's all a bit of a moot point at present as Houston is flooded and I'm not sure we could get to anywhere to buy a case anyway. I'll just see what we can find at the airport itself...... if our flight goes out.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by Sawasdee
If United refuses to pay/replace, keep track of all documents and check with your credit card you used to buy your ticket. You may be eligible for baggage replacement benefit.

^^

I've did this once in the past. More recently, I used annual trip insurance (for $180/year), which was very good about replacing a damaged suitcase. I highly recommend it, since it covers a lot of other stuff.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Fizzer
Thanks to everyone. It's all a bit of a moot point at present as Houston is flooded and I'm not sure we could get to anywhere to buy a case anyway. I'll just see what we can find at the airport itself...... if our flight goes out.
United has canceled all operations through 2pm. Best of luck for today!

Last edited by SPLITTERZ; Apr 18, 2016 at 8:30 am
Old Sep 10, 2016, 7:34 am

Help with damaged baggage process

3 days ago, I was on UA LHR-EWR flight and my checked in bag was damaged.
I got off in EWR, went to the airline services desk, was told there was no agent on duty in Term B until a few hours from then, and I should just do it over the phone.
UA Baggage service line says I should call EWR Baggage Service...the EWR desk says they don't take claims over the phone.

Going to EWR (1.5hrs away) and spend a day to try to collect compensation for $150 bag is ridiculous.
Is there an alternative?
Old Sep 10, 2016, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The relevant information can be found here: Damaged Baggage.

You can report this in writing within seven days of arrival.

You need to follow their rules precisely or they will deny your claim.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 10:54 am

Yes, that was the page I went to.
It's the "in-writing" part that's throwing me off.
There is no address for reporting it in writing.
The UA EWR baggage resolution office (973 681 1621) doesn't pick up their phone or return messages, and the recording states "claims must be filed at their airport".
The UA Baggage Resolution Service Center at 1-800-335-BAGS doesn't have any information either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.