Wiki Posts
Search

PQD Credit for NH Buyup (016 Ticket)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
PQD Credit for NH Buyup (016 Ticket)

Was traveling on NH in Y MNL-NRT as part of MNL-NRT-SFO-DEN-SAT and I have two questions:

1. I bought up to C on the NH segment for a pretty reasonable price (cheaper that nearly every UA TOD offer I've received this year); assuming that the additional PQDs don't post, what is the appropriate mechanism to request adjustment for the buyup?

2. The direct SFO-SAT flight was late, so I was able to jump on that rather than fly SFO-DEN-SAT and buy myself 7+ hours at home; will I still receive the same PQD amount as I would have for SFO-DEN and DEN-SAT segments? I don't care about the PQM/PQS differential, but I didn't go through the SDC process so I'm unsure how this works.

Thanks!

tt
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:57 am
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
Not sure on 1, but for 2, you'll need to contact MP to get the original routing credit.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:44 am

For 2, IME if you did a SDC, you'll get the same PQD as originally paid, and PQM based on the actual flights flown. If you only care about PQD, you shouldn't have to do anything.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
1) None, there's no adjustment to be had.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mduell
Can you explain the rationale behind that? I'm guessing it has to do with the buyup being on a partner carrier outside the UA ticketing process, but I just want to confirm.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by timezone_trooper
Can you explain the rationale behind that? I'm guessing it has to do with the buyup being on a partner carrier outside the UA ticketing process, but I just want to confirm.
If it didn't reissue the ticket, you essentially just paid a fee directly to NH to be reseated in a higher cabin. UA doesn't see that money so they wouldn't award PQD.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
PQD are for airfare purchases on 016 stock and E+ buy ups.

Nothing you buy from NH is ever either of those.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mduell
Agree with the others but will try a different approach.

Not all buy-ups on UA earn PQDs, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ome-don-t.html

Only when buy-up is a true up-fare (when the new fare class is a true premium cabin fare) on UA does it earn PQDs, Buy-ups into an upgrade fare-class do not earn PQDs.

One thing that happens on a true up-fare is the ticket is re-issued with the new fare class. This includes changing the fare construction from which the PQDs is calculated.

In the case of a partner on an 016 ticket, the partner can not re-issue the ticket, change the fare class and still stay on 016 ticket. If they re-issue, it will need to be on their ticket stock (and no PQDs). I have had this happen in IRROPS.

So your buy-up was likely a "fee", not an "up-fare" and therefore ineligible for PQDs. A further indicator will be the fare class after the "buy-up."

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 31, 2016 at 10:37 am
Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, this is helpful; will report back on actuals when they post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.