FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United Gold access to clubs at NRT and SIN (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1787359-united-gold-access-clubs-nrt-sin.html)

nobodyherebutme Aug 27, 2016 6:03 pm

United Gold access to clubs at NRT and SIN

I am taking a short trip to NRT on UA metal and on to SIN on a UA flight operated by ANA. Does anyone whether there are clubs at those two airports that I can access as a Premier Gold and United Club member? I've searched for the information, but couldn't find anything beyond a vague "Premier Golds have access to clubs with have the *Alliance logo". Thanks.

transportprof Aug 27, 2016 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by nobodyherebutme (Post 27128347)
I am taking a short trip to NRT on UA metal and on to SIN on a UA flight operated by ANA. Does anyone whether there are clubs at those two airports that I can access as a Premier Gold and United Club member? I've searched for the information, but couldn't find anything beyond a vague "Premier Golds have access to clubs with have the *Alliance logo". Thanks.

If your Star Alliance Gold (not sure if that's the same as Premier Gold), you'd have access to a number of lounges at NRT. My favorite is the ANA lounge. At Singapore, SQ runs a second-tier lounge for Star Alliance Gold members traveling in coach. If you're in J, you'd have access to the SQ KrisFlyer lounge which is an order of magnitude better than the SQ Gold lounge.

blahmeh14 Aug 27, 2016 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof (Post 27128364)
If your Star Alliance Gold (not sure if that's the same as Premier Gold)

Premier gold and above on United gives you Star Alliance Gold. See here: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ralliance.aspx

nobodyherebutme, go to this link, enter your information, and it will tell you which lounges you have access to. Make sure to enter the departure airport as NRT and the arrival airport as SIN.

jeebus Aug 27, 2016 11:11 pm

On an international itinerary, you should have access at your home airport too.

clobber8 Aug 27, 2016 11:34 pm

United has their own lounge at NRT, so there for sure.

STS-134 Aug 28, 2016 1:21 am

Originally Posted by clobber8 (Post 27129076)
United has their own lounge at NRT, so there for sure.

Yeah, but why go to the UA lounge when there are NH lounges with much better food?

Silver Fox Aug 28, 2016 3:05 am

Originally Posted by transportprof (Post 27128364)
If your Star Alliance Gold (not sure if that's the same as Premier Gold), you'd have access to a number of lounges at NRT. My favorite is the ANA lounge. At Singapore, SQ runs a second-tier lounge for Star Alliance Gold members traveling in coach. If you're in J, you'd have access to the SQ KrisFlyer lounge which is an order of magnitude better than the SQ Gold lounge.

I think McDonalds is better than that "lounge" at SIN. It really is crap. Personally I would kick SIN out of participating in lounge access if they are going to have this two-tiered approach.

dsgtc0408 Aug 28, 2016 3:27 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox (Post 27129402)
I think McDonalds is better than that "lounge" at SIN. It really is crap. Personally I would kick SIN out of participating in lounge access if they are going to have this two-tiered approach.

This KrisGold lounge (the actual SQ Star Gold lounge) isn't great compared to the SQ SilverKris lounge (the SQ business class lounge plus separate first class area), but it's not quite crap. Please keep in mind the OP indicated he/she is a United Club member. The *A lounges I've been to in Asia and Europe (including the KrisGold) are overall far better than the domestic US UC's.

OTOH, your point on the SilverKris vs KrisGold lounge discrimination is a different matter and is well taken.

dsgtc0408 Aug 28, 2016 4:20 am

Just to consolidate everyone's replies, your lounges are:

NRT: UA and ANA
SIN: SQ KrisFlyer (not SilverKris)

I expect you can use your UC membership to get into the NRT UC, but presume will not be recognized by either ANA or SQ. You would use your Premier Gold card to enter instead.

(now, over and above what you originally asked... )

At NRT, what I've tended to do is to take the shower at UA, move to ANA for the udon/soba and massage chairs (ANA has showers too but somehow I like the UA ones more, don't know why). ANA has two lounges in T1 but they're qualitatively the same, the only difference is that the one around the 50's gates has windows overlooking the tarmac, the other does not. Note also that the distance between the United Club and either ANA lounge is a brisk 10 minute walk on travelators (in my experience ANA flights to/from SIN use the 50's gates). Arriving on UA, the bottom of the escalator after the security screening puts you right in front of the UC between gate 27 and 31.

At SIN, your lounge is the KrisFlyer at T2. The only downsides are no bathrooms (go outside) or showers, and that real/hot food only comes out at about 5AM (same at the SilverKris although you can't go in unless you're flying business). Otherwise it's pretty civilized - there will be no one unlike any domestic US UC!

FYI there are threads and posts on lounge access and experiences in both NRT and SIN.

cur Aug 28, 2016 7:49 am

Originally Posted by jeebus (Post 27129040)
On an international itinerary, you should have access at your home airport too.

assuming home airport is a united club airport in the usa

star gold gets you into any non ua star gold lounge domestically anywhere else

Kacee Aug 28, 2016 8:01 am

Does anyone whether there are clubs at those two airports that I can access as a Premier Gold and United Club member?

Those two (*G and UC membership) basically give you the same access to *A (non-UA lounges).

There are two NH lounges at NRT. One has windows and one does not. They both have the noodle bar, which is definitely worth checking out.

emcampbe Aug 28, 2016 8:26 am

NH and UA lounges at NRT should be available (for *G or UA club memebrs). At SIN, there is The lower tier SQ lounges (T3>T2, IME). If you're flying ANA from SIN, not sure how it works - but I believe for J class and *G flying UA, they also have a contract lounge - never used it so not sure what's it is, but I thought that was the case.

uastarflyer Aug 28, 2016 6:19 pm

At SIN check-in, UA Gold gets an invite to the SATS premier lounge. It is across from the KrisFlyer Gold lounge. There is a decent food (hot items of both western and Indian/SE Asia styles) and drink offering. Can't speak to alcohol as I only am in there at 6-8am and don't partake at that time.

Various breads, finger sandwiches as well. Not the SKL but a step up from what I used to see in the KF Gold lounge at Changi T3

The fact UA was tossed out of T3, back to the bowels of T2 is disappointing however.

rmannion Aug 28, 2016 6:27 pm

Are there showers at any of the SIN *G lounges (or other recommended paid options)? Will be at that airport overnight next week...

fumje Aug 28, 2016 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by rmannion (Post 27132112)
Are there showers at any of the SIN *G lounges (or other recommended paid options)? Will be at that airport overnight next week...

There are inexpensive transit hotels airside.

I think SATS has showers but don't recall clearly.