Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated SEA connection time/logistics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated SEA connection time/logistics

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2011, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
The problem is that UA is the tail at SEA, not the dog (which would be AS, since they have about 50% of the flight traffic at SEA in conjunction with QX). AS isn't about to move some operations from N to B on a temporary basis when one of the major points of all the gate-swapping is to centralize AS entirely into the N terminal.

And it would appear that the checkin areas will be merged in 2012 prior to the gates. Yes, UA doesn't do well, but to be honest, if the Port COULD do things earlier without having to play Jenga and balance competing interest, they probably would.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I am looking forward to the move

That way they will move to a security screening other than the one where Elite/F are send down the right side which takes much longer than the kettle line (and hundreds of kettles are sent this way anyway) and you also get the nude-o-scan.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by SEABrad
No, they were not. I haven't taken said flight in a few weeks, but I can tell you I entered the RCC after 9PM and it was open. And whomever told me was a PC agent. Maybe they have since changed, but as of 3 weeks ago the RCC in N was open until 10 or 11.
If true, this is a change I like. Given three red-eye flights (2x ORD, 1x IAD) there is justification to keep it open. Plus we can use it when flying AS flights from N satellite

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
For me it's simply a question of which security checkpoints are using the stupid body scanners. I avoid them at all costs.
I think the scanners are present at all SEA checkpoints. They usually are only running 1 or 2 scanners at each checkpoint, and often you can self select into a line which is not using one (which kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?) The problem at the N checkpoint, if you go through the elite line on the corridor to the right, you can't see the status of the scanners before committing. That's one reason I usually flash my MVP Gold card and go through the C checkpoint even when flying UA-CO. (and the soup at BR)

Originally Posted by andyh64000
That way they will move to a security screening other than the one where Elite/F are send down the right side which takes much longer than the kettle line (and hundreds of kettles are sent this way anyway) and you also get the nude-o-scan.
I don't have a ton of experience with the South checkpoint, but it's the main one for all of A and S, so I imagine it gets quite congested. There's nothing like the small C checkpoint at the south end.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 31, 2011 at 7:01 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 8, 2011, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Connections at SEA - how much time needed?

I am on UA #327 DEN-SEA, then CO1789 SEA-ANC this Friday. I had heard that CO and UA were planning to co-locate gates there, but apparently that is not until next year sometime.

So, for no, it looks like I arrive at the N gates, and have to dash all the way across to the B gates for my connection. Anyone familiar with SEA know how much time one needs to allow for this? Does one have to go through security screening when going from N to B?

My scheduled connection is 68 minutes, but considering that UA #327 is at the absolute bottom of the on-time stats at flightstats.com, I am thinking this will be tighter than that, and may have to plead for an AS backfill once I get to SEA.

Any other recommendations on what to think about for such a connection?
Old Aug 8, 2011, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Welcome to FT! 68 minutes is plenty of time. You do not need to re-clear security to access any other terminal at SEA..everything is connected airside by train or walkway. To get to the B gates you can take the train from N to the main concourse and walk to B.

Or, for a bit less walking... take the train from N to the main terminal, walk across the platform and board the train from the north main terminal to the south main terminal.. At the south main terminal.. walk across the platform and board the train to the S and B gates... exit train at B gates.

The trains run every 2 minutes... taking 3 trains will probably not save you much time but it's less walking. It's a bit of a hike from the main terminal north side to the B gates.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 4:13 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
It's a bit of a hike from the main terminal north side to the B gates.
It is a bit of a walk, but if the flights are on-time, s/he might consider it. S/he'll be sitting for a while on SEA-ANC.

Last edited by dayone; Aug 11, 2011 at 12:15 pm Reason: Typo.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Confusing interim

Above response given by SEA1K4EVR is correct.

Just responding to comment that CO has been flying some SEA ORD flights which departs from N gates.

Jiburi
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:22 am

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks for the replies! I have been checking on UA327 all week, and it's been running on time, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that it continues that trend through Friday night. As long as time permits, I'll likely do the walk to terminal B, as it'll be a nice break between two medium-length flights. The triple train does sound like an entertaining option, though. Perhaps on the way back...Thanks again...
Old Aug 11, 2011, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold, UA 1MM
B gate train station currently closed

Welcome to FT! 68 minutes is plenty of time. You do not need to re-clear security to access any other terminal at SEA..everything is connected airside by train or walkway. To get to the B gates you can take the train from N to the main concourse and walk to B.

Or, for a bit less walking... take the train from N to the main terminal, walk across the platform and board the train from the north main terminal to the south main terminal.. At the south main terminal.. walk across the platform and board the train to the S and B gates... exit train at B gates.

The trains run every 2 minutes... taking 3 trains will probably not save you much time but it's less walking. It's a bit of a hike from the main terminal north side to the B gates.
Be aware that the B gate train station is currently closed so following the directions above you'll need to walk from either the north or south main terminal stations to the B gates. Walk time from north main terminal station to B gates is less than 10 minutes.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:05 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
More news on this recently from the TNT:
http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/1...positions.html

Late 2011: AirTran moves from the A Concourse to the B Concourse next to its merger partner Southwest Airlines. This move has already been accomplished.
Mid -2013: Frontier moves to the B Concourse from A. American and JetBlue change from A to D where Alaska has already vacated several gates.
Late 2013: Virgin America relocates from A to B as does Hawaiian.
Then the big move: United/Continental moves to A.
At the main terminal’s north end, Continental will integrate its ticketing operations with merger partner United by year’s end.
Not much new, but encouraging to see it's still happening
Old Nov 15, 2011, 5:37 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
More news on this recently from the TNT:
http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/1...positions.html

Not much new, but encouraging to see it's still happening
I don't see it as particularly encouraging. I read it as a 1-year delay. Originally UA was supposed to consolidate in A during 2012. Now it says "Late 2013". My understanding is that the delay has been due to negotiations over who will pay for the costs of the move, including construction of a sufficiently-sized United Club (the old Delta & AA Clubs in A are each too small.) UA doesn't care who pays, they just want someone else to pay. I believe the Port wants AS to pay since they benefit from getting all of N, and AS wants the Port to pay. I don't think that has been resolved yet.

Counter consolidation isn't really a big deal. There is plenty of space at the north end of the terminal. Keeping operations split between the B concourse and N satellite for the next 2 years is clearly a PITA for passengers especially if connecting to NRT or ANC or YVR and having to shuffle between B and N - or just not knowing when you arrive at the airport whether you should go to central security for B or north security for N.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 8:25 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by seacarl
I don't see it as particularly encouraging. I read it as a 1-year delay. Originally UA was supposed to consolidate in A during 2012. Now it says "Late 2013". My understanding is that the delay has been due to negotiations over who will pay for the costs of the move, including construction of a sufficiently-sized United Club (the old Delta & AA Clubs in A are each too small.) UA doesn't care who pays, they just want someone else to pay. I believe the Port wants AS to pay since they benefit from getting all of N, and AS wants the Port to pay. I don't think that has been resolved yet.

Counter consolidation isn't really a big deal. There is plenty of space at the north end of the terminal. Keeping operations split between the B concourse and N satellite for the next 2 years is clearly a PITA for passengers especially if connecting to NRT or ANC or YVR and having to shuffle between B and N - or just not knowing when you arrive at the airport whether you should go to central security for B or north security for N.
Ahhh that makes sense. Seems appropriate for AS to pay in that situation then.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
The article says CO & UA will consolidate ticketing by the end of this year at the far north end where UA is now, but it doesn't say where UA's ticketing area will be after the big move in 2013. I'm interested to know..
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:36 am

The article says CO & UA will consolidate ticketing by the end of this year at the far north end where UA is now, but it doesn't say where UA's ticketing area will be after the big move in 2013. I'm interested to know..
Wouldn't that be awesome if UA ticketing stayed at the north end, but the gates all moved to A?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:52 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Anyone know when the rebranding will officially occur at N? Yesterday I still boarded using old UA rules, red carpet, etc... not that I want that to end!!

Also noticed the Anchorage CO flight out of N uses their own gate display system while UA is using theirs at their gates. I guess that won't converge until the systems do...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.