Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Premier Access" (for non-elites - purchased, credit card preq,..) Q&A [consolidated]

Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Card
Priority boarding
The primary Cardmember and companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding.
Chase United MileagePlus Club Card & Chase United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card
Premier Access® travel services
Receive preferential treatment to ease your way through the airport with priority check-in, security screening (where available), boarding and baggage handling privileges.
The use of the credit card is not needed to receive benefits, just having a credit card linked to your account is sufficient (bag fee waiver does require use of the card)

Premier Access Benefits Premium Travel Services United Airlines
Originally Posted by UNITED.com
Customers who are not included in one of the groups above may have the option to purchase Premier Access for a particular flight. A Premier Access purchase includes priority check-in, security lane access (where available) and boarding, but it does not include priority baggage handling.
Print Wikipost

"Premier Access" (for non-elites - purchased, credit card preq,..) Q&A [consolidated]

Old Feb 10, 2018, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
No. The priority boarding is based on the account flag for having a Chase card, which will be cleared if the account is closed.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by wcj1
From my experience, no, it will not be honored. Back when I was a Silver last year, I got my second bag free from my Presidential Plus card. But then I had to get a new credit card number because of fraud and all my existing reservations with the old card number lost the 2nd bag benefit. (I didn't need it, so it didn't matter, but it clearly changed when I viewed the reservation online.)
That's ridiculous - was it still a PPlus card (number changed due to fraud presumably)?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:44 pm

Purchasing Premier Access and Oddball Pricing

I have a round-trip coach ticket on United to Europe (non-stop), identical fare class in each direction.

If I go to manage my reservation, I have the option of purchasing Premier Access. The cost is $61 for the eastbound flight, and $19 for the Westbound flight.

Any ideas as to why there is such a price difference?

As it turns out, I have TSA Pre and CLEAR for the eastbound flight, and was only thinking of buying it for the Westbound flight. Seems like might be useful for the Westbound flight, given that there are probably two security checks (general airport and questioning at the gate.)

Seems like you actually get more for your money westbound, which makes the price differential even stranger.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:29 pm

Just as an uninformed guess, maybe the airport you are flying out of Stateside has more congestion in the Premier lanes so they charge more, whereas the European airport may have less of a crowding issue.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
Just as an uninformed guess, maybe the airport you are flying out of Stateside has more congestion in the Premier lanes so they charge more, whereas the European airport may have less of a crowding issue.
Flying from SFO to AMS (round-trip.)
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Flying from SFO to AMS (round-trip.)
Im guessing there’s Premier check-in and Group 2 boarding at AMS, but no Premier Access security line. Just an uninformed guess.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

Im guessing there’s Premier check-in and Group 2 boarding at AMS, but no Premier Access security line. Just an uninformed guess.
Not sure what Premier Access Security is - but, I do know at AMS there is as elite/priority centralized security screening (not UA branded in any way.)
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure what Premier Access Security is - but, I do know at AMS there is as elite/priority centralized security screening (not UA branded in any way.)
At hub airports, UA has (with TSA) set up designated Premier Access lines that seevice UA Premiers (and those who buy a Premier Access). At a non-hub like AMS, there is no Premier Access line. I am not sure UA has deal to sell access to elite/priority lines there.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:30 pm

At hub airports, UA has (with TSA) set up designated Premier Access lines that seevice UA Premiers (and those who buy a Premier Access). At a non-hub like AMS, there is no Premier Access line. I am not sure UA has deal to sell access to elite/priority lines there.
Well, if they didn't have a deal to sell priority access - they are misrepresenting the product. The page that offers the Premier Access for sale specifies that one of the benefits is "priority security line."
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, if they didn't have a deal to sell priority access - they are misrepresenting the product. The page that offers the Premier Access for sale specifies that one of the benefits is "priority security line."
Does the fine print say something like “where available”?

Edit: No, they are not representing the product. I looked and it says “exclusive security lanes at select airports”. My guess is AMS is not a “select airport”, hence the cheaper price.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 15, 2019 at 10:10 pm
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:11 pm

Does the fine print say something like “where available”?
Surprisingly, it doesn't:
  • This Premier Access offer is nonrefundable and non-transferable. Voluntary changes to your itinerary may forfeit your Premier Access purchase and any associated fees. In the event of a flight cancellation or involuntary schedule change, we will refund the fees paid for the unused Premier Access product upon request.
  • Premier Access is offered only on flights operated by United and United Express, based on availability.
  • Premier Access benefits only apply to flights for which they are purchased.
  • Premier Access does not exempt passengers from check-in time limits.
  • When available, you can purchase Premier Access for multiple people on your reservation. Premier Access must be purchased for each individual traveler in order for them to receive the benefits of Premier Access.
  • “Premier Access” must be displayed on your boarding pass in order to receive benefits.
  • This offer is made at United’s discretion and is subject to change or termination at any time with or without notice to the customer.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
I use the First Class/Business/Elite lines at many airports that are not United Hubs.

Anymore with so many with precheck I find the non prechek elite lines quicker.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by bhunt
I use the First Class/Business/Elite lines at many airports that are not United Hubs.
There are elite lines for multiple airlines at AMS, I assume UA in included. The mystery is why the huge cost differential between eastbound and westbound.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are elite lines for multiple airlines at AMS, I assume UA in included. The mystery is why the huge cost differential between eastbound and westbound.
A lot of airports have elite or priority lanes. Often they are reserved for front-cabin passengers and (in some cases) airline elite passengers. United does not provide priority lane access at some airports to its elites, nor can it sell access to those lanes. Las Vegas comes to mind. You can buy Premier Access from United for a flight departing Las Vegas. You get Premier Access at check-in and Group 2 boarding, but no priority security line. You really need to read all the words and/or the fine print. At Amsterdam, a front cabin ticket gets you into a priority line. The question remains if UA actually can sell access to that line to a non-elite traveling in coach.

Since UA has a Premier Access counter at AMS and provides Group 2 boarding, the price differential can be explained by lack of access to a priority security line. Seems simple to me.

I could be wrong.

What you posted aren’t the benefits. If you look at the benefits, you see this “From check-in to baggage claim, we provide premium travel services for eligible customers and offer the following where available:”

”where available” are two key words.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 15, 2019 at 11:32 pm
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
You are flying UA to AMS? The key players are KL and DL. I would guess the difference east to west is taxes? Call UA and find out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.