Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Premier Access" (for non-elites - purchased, credit card preq,..) Q&A [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Card
Priority boarding
The primary Cardmember and companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding.
Chase United MileagePlus Club Card & Chase United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card
Premier Access® travel services
Receive preferential treatment to ease your way through the airport with priority check-in, security screening (where available), boarding and baggage handling privileges.
The use of the credit card is not needed to receive benefits, just having a credit card linked to your account is sufficient (bag fee waiver does require use of the card)

Premier Access Benefits Premium Travel Services United Airlines
Originally Posted by UNITED.com
Customers who are not included in one of the groups above may have the option to purchase Premier Access for a particular flight. A Premier Access purchase includes priority check-in, security lane access (where available) and boarding, but it does not include priority baggage handling.
Print Wikipost

"Premier Access" (for non-elites - purchased, credit card preq,..) Q&A [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Both have Premier Access and earlier boarding (so no issue with overhead bin space) is part of the package even if some others have boarded earlier.
Thanks. So in today's chaotic environment, he would most likely board early?

(I've just been reading other FT posts about high status fliers not boarding first, so thought this might trickle down to Premier Access.)
Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Both have Premier Access and earlier boarding (so no issue with overhead bin space) is part of the package even if some others have boarded earlier.
MCO did not have premiere access when I flew out of there last June. They did in 2019, however
CaliforniaMom likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 6:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMom
Thanks. So in today's chaotic environment, he would most likely board early?

(I've just been reading other FT posts about high status fliers not boarding first, so thought this might trickle down to Premier Access.)
(simplified description)
Family's with under 2 age children, those needing more time and service members board early along then with GS and 1K elites. Next group is middle level elites, first class. Next is the remaining folks with premier access followed by those in economy without premier access and finally basic economy. So for SFO<>MCO, a leisure route, there will be many without premier access or had booked Basic Economy. So with Premier Access (only) your son with not be first, probably not in the first third but likely ahead of nearly a half of the plane. A reason for boarding early is Overhead storage space and premier access in regular economy will have no problems

All elites (and traveling companions), first class and chase UA MP credit card holders have premier {boarding} access. So premier access is not the first 10 on the plane but still ahead of most on a leisure route

Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
MCO did not have premiere access when I flew out of there last June. They did in 2019, however
OK, that fits my timeline of last visits-- mid-2019 and early (Feb) 2020
CaliforniaMom likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 29, 2022 at 11:48 am Reason: premier {boarding} access
Old Jul 1, 2022, 9:51 am

A reason for boarding early is Overhead storage space and premier access in regular economy will have no problems

All elites (and traveling companions), first class and chase UA MP credit card holders have premier access. So premier access is not the first 10 on the plane but still ahead of most on a leisure route
Yes, thank you! This is exactly the reason I'm looking at getting Premier Access for him. His seat is Economy, and they will all just be doing carryon, so wanted to make sure he and friends were able to board a little sooner than the rest.

Thank you, all!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold, WN A-List, Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle
How do I purchase Premier access for an existing reservation? All I see are options to do Award Accelerator, Upgrade Cabin, Economy Plus, but no premier access. Just need it for one segment TATL segment (AMS-ORD).
Old Jul 28, 2022, 9:36 am

Programs: UA Gold, WN A-List, Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by bluedog423
How do I purchase Premier access for an existing reservation? All I see are options to do Award Accelerator, Upgrade Cabin, Economy Plus, but no premier access. Just need it for one segment TATL segment (AMS-ORD).
Replying to myself in case anybody else has the same question. I called and after holding for 15 minutes, having the agent speak to a supervisor after I gave my KTN as requested (why was that necessary? I have no idea, but didn't feel like questioning it....), then holding for 10 more minutes, they told me it's not available for that segment....Sheesh, not sure why it was so complicated. They said it might be available at check-in/at the airport kiosk when there, but could not give me an approximate cost or anything. Not a very knowledgeable agent. Given the mess at AMS, certainly am willing to throw a few bucks at it if I can get the priority security line, which IS a premier access benefit at AMS according to United's site.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All elites (and traveling companions), first class and chase UA MP credit card holders have premier access. So premier access is not the first 10 on the plane but still ahead of most on a leisure route
I've got a MP Explorer card and never see Premier Access on my BP. I just board in group 2. Are they the same thing these days?
Old Jul 29, 2022, 11:44 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I've got a MP Explorer card and never see Premier Access on my BP. I just board in group 2. Are they the same thing these days?
Premier Access is available to the following customers:Customers who are not included in one of the groups above may have the option to purchase Premier Access for a particular flight. A Premier Access purchase includes priority check-in, security lane access (where available) and boarding, but it does not include priority baggage handling.
So Explore cardholders do not get the full Premier Access but do get BG2 premier boarding

Full Premier access benefits
  • Premier Access® check-in: designated airport check-in lines
  • Premier Access security lane: exclusive security lanes
  • Premier Access priority boarding: among the first customers to board
  • Premier Access priority baggage handling: among the first bags to be delivered
gfunkdave likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 10:55 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Premier Access is available to the following customers:
So, even for domestic flights, F/J passengers get the full Premier Access package? Somehow I thought that was only international. Good to know!
Old Jul 30, 2022, 10:57 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wpcoe
So, even for domestic flights, F/J passengers get the full Premier Access package? Somehow I thought that was only international. Good to know!
Assuming you’re at an airport that has it. SFO no longer has a premier access security line, despite selling premier access for flights departing out of SFO.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Connor Mason
Was this recently changed for Chase cards where you need to purchase the flight with the United Chase card to receive Premier Access? I've been in boarding group 3 the past couple flights. I asked the gate attendant and was told you've always needed to purchase the flight with the card to receive this benefit. Obviously not the case, but wondering if anyone is seeing this too.
I just ran into this issue over the weekend. Have the Business Club Card. Boarding pass says Premier Access, but boarding group 3. Gate agent let me board on Group 2, but I wonder if this is a downgrade United hasn't mentioned yet? Would be damn shame if so.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
So my parents are on the same itinerary as me tomorrow (DEN-BWI), and we all have Premier Access on our BPs.

My dad is old enough to qualify for TSA Pre-Check due to age; however, my mom is not. Does anyone have any first/second-hand experiences using the Premium security line at DEN without Pre-Check?
Old Aug 18, 2022, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
So my parents are on the same itinerary as me tomorrow (DEN-BWI), and we all have Premier Access on our BPs.

My dad is old enough to qualify for TSA Pre-Check due to age; however, my mom is not. Does anyone have any first/second-hand experiences using the Premium security line at DEN without Pre-Check?
The Premium/Premier checkpoint serves passengers with PreCheck and without in my experience, they just point you to the left or to the right after checking your documents. You just need to decide if you want to split up or all go through standard screening after doc check.
pseudoswede likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by GlobalServiced
The Premium/Premier checkpoint serves passengers with PreCheck and without in my experience, they just point you to the left or to the right after checking your documents. You just need to decide if you want to split up or all go through standard screening after doc check.
There was a brief moment earlier this year when the North Checkpoint was exclusively Pre-Check travelers. However, I guess since there is the possibility of premium cabin travelers who may not get Pre-Check, plus other demands, they opened up standard security in the North Checkpoint, and also put in a few Pre-Check lanes in the South Checkpoint.

I told my mom to pack all of her toiletries in my dad's carry-on.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pseudoswede (Post # 117)
"Passengers 75 and older can receive some form of expedited screening through risk-based intelligence-driven security that allows TSA to better focus resources on passengers who more likely pose a risk."

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-p...s-75-and-older

Good to know, though I have more than a decade to wait.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.