Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Complimentary meals to Hawaii in economy...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, WN

So it appears DL and AA has brought back meals for the long haul Domestic flights (DFW, ATL, MSP, JFK)....UA will be the only widebody carrier that does not offer complimentary meals to Hawaii for economy pax....sad as CO was the last one to remove this benefit.

Is UA looking to add this back to Hawaii flights? With the 777HD complaints... nice to know UA is looking cheaper everyday.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
United already offers a morning meal of a Stroopwafel and an afternoon/evening meal of Bits & Bites.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Are you going to choose AA or DL (with connection, perhaps) because of the airline-quality economy meal included in the ticket price?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Halo117
So it appears DL and AA has brought back meals for the long haul Domestic flights (DFW, ATL, MSP, JFK)....UA will be the only widebody carrier that does not offer complimentary meals to Hawaii for economy pax....sad as CO was the last one to remove this benefit.

Is UA looking to add this back to Hawaii flights? With the 777HD complaints... nice to know UA is looking cheaper everyday.
Just for the record HA did not remove them.

Although it really is bs to not have a meal from EWR/IAD/ORD/IAH-HNL. There are a lot of reasons/chain of events that can lead to someone not being able to buy beforehand.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:57 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Are leisure pax to Hawaii going to be choosing DL/AA vs. UA and diverting their low yield business to those carriers because of the free meal? I doubt it, and UA shouldn't worry too much about this one aspect.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Taoyuan
Just for the record HA did not remove them.

Although it really is bs to not have a meal from EWR/IAD/ORD/IAH-HNL. There are a lot of reasons/chain of events that can lead to someone not being able to buy beforehand.

I totally agree. I loved going EWR-HNL but even with TSA approved snacks, man that was a tough ride.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by transportprof
United already offers a morning meal of a Stroopwafel and an afternoon/evening meal of Bits & Bites.
It's the "spa" menu.

They also offer the all liquid diet for those who interested in a cleanse.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just to be clear, AA offers a wrap for the DFW-HNL flight. So, maybe one bit less food to cart on with you. But, I can't imagine that a lot of people actually shift their business around a stale sandwich-like thing.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 12:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jetsetter777
I totally agree. I loved going EWR-HNL but even with TSA approved snacks, man that was a tough ride.
The reverse direction would be far worse IMHO
Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I disagree with those saying the Y meal does little to sway customers. True, the food is nothing to write home about.

But there's another element involved. When an airline serves a meal, it is offering a point of connection with its customers. It's another interaction. It's a way of saying they want to go another step. It's a way to fill time on a long flight.

I always enjoy food service, in any class. And it's not about the meal (though I actually think airline food is much better than people make it out to be). It's about something much more.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by zrs70
I disagree with those saying the Y meal does little to sway customers. True, the food is nothing to write home about.

But there's another element involved. When an airline serves a meal, it is offering a point of connection with its customers. It's another interaction. It's a way of saying they want to go another step. It's a way to fill time on a long flight.

I always enjoy food service, in any class. And it's not about the meal (though I actually think airline food is much better than people make it out to be). It's about something much more.
but if it doesn't drive your purchasing decision then it's not worth it. it costs $10 to buy a meal. just do that.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by zrs70

I don't disagree with the 2nd and 3rd paragraph and I don't disagree that the flights talked about here are long enough that UA *should* include a meal (why do they serve food from the east coast to Europe).

But I don't know that it makes a difference for the bulk of pax when choosing the airline for what might be a once-in-a-lifetime trip for many. Does Kayak show them that AA and Delta include a meal and UA doesn't?
Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I don't disagree with the 2nd and 3rd paragraph and I don't disagree that the flights talked about here are long enough that UA *should* include a meal (why do they serve food from the east coast to Europe).

But I don't know that it makes a difference for the bulk of pax when choosing the airline for what might be a once-in-a-lifetime trip for many. Does Kayak show them that AA and Delta include a meal and UA doesn't?
Sure, pax just choose the cheapest option for the most part, which is one of the reasons why there are no meals on those flights. But I'm in agreement with the above poster that being served a meal is not a trivial thing, and makes the experience more enjoyable. I used to live in HNL and the general public had a decent understanding that HA offered meals. How much that influences what airline they flew, I don't know, but it was definitely acknowledged and contributed to a better image and some loyalty.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
As the 'free' meals chez UA became entirely inedible (chicken, chicken, chicken), I wished they would revert to BOB on transpac and TATL services as well. Then one could at least get some food ....
Old Aug 26, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
The reverse direction would be far worse IMHO
HNL-EWR/IAD to me isn't quite as bad because it's sort of "overnight". If you eat beforehand or bring on board, then sleep, it's about the same as being at home.

Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
but if it doesn't drive your purchasing decision then it's not worth it. it costs $10 to buy a meal. just do that.
Two problems:

1) If you're connecting that's not always possible
2) Even if you can buy a meal, you can't keep the food fresh for hours. Yes, you can eat it at the beginning, but what about the next 8 hours? Airlines have food handling capabilities that individual pax do not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.