Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What routes out of Chicago do you get CPU'd on most frequently?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Hilton Mariott United Hertz

Long time, first time. I usually fly southwest, but have recently obtained status on UA due to some international travel. Is there a route that you frequently get upgraded on. Golds and Platinums, I'm looking at you in particular.

If there's a better thread for this already open, let me know.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by NomadicHawkeye1972
Long time, first time. I usually fly southwest, but have recently obtained status on UA due to some international travel. Is there a route that you frequently get upgraded on. Golds and Platinums, I'm looking at you in particular.

If there's a better thread for this already open, let me know.
Traveling to leisure destinations such as Las Vegas offer good chances for an upgrade.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 3:27 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
Traveling to leisure destinations such as Las Vegas offer good chances for an upgrade.
I'm not sure I've ever gotten a CPU from ORD-LAS, even as a 1k. But I agree conceptually. Florida usually seems easier.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:05 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Even as a gold I don't think I've ever missed an upgrade to ALB.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:15 am

Programs: UA-gld HH-gld Marriot-gld Hertz-Pres Circle
Gold currently

ORD-FLL, TPA, MCO, GSP

These seem to be my best four odds... I go mostly SE with some Midwest sprinkled in.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:16 am

Programs: UA 1MM/GS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
As a Platinum, I'm 10-for-13 so far this year on getting CPUs on the ORD-MSP leg. Not glamorous, but since I fly it a lot it's a useful perk to me!
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:19 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
Originally Posted by JBord
I'm not sure I've ever gotten a CPU from ORD-LAS, even as a 1k. But I agree conceptually. Florida usually seems easier.
LAS has been a tough, tough upgrade. I fly ORD-LAS-ORD 4-5X a year. Twice this year, I've had RPUs fail (RPUs applied 3-4 months ahead). Last month, on a 20-seat 737-900, I was the only person upgraded, and that was because of an RPU. Was sort of weird seeing only my name and seat with a checkmark on the upgrade list. Went out with about 25 people on the list.

They tend to sell F seats to/from LAS very inexpensively. I've been buying more and more of them...Usually just a $120-ish premium each way over the lowest economy, 3-4 month ahead.

The only 'easy' one is the very late ORD-LAS departure--usually leaves around 10:30PM.

That being said, I was checking the United app for anecdotal evidence, and this week seems a little more of an anomaly--lots of people upgraded on today's and tomorrow's ORD-LAS flights.

---

The easier upgrades seem to be the smaller-market short hops like GRR, BNA, OMA, STL, etc. And, as mentioned, Florida runs.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:44 am

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
Platinum here, I always get one going to Canada, we're talking YYC, YVR, YEG (when we had it), and even YUL and YYZ. The ones to the east coast cities don't matter much but the flights out west can get pretty long.

I've also had really good luck with LAX for some reason, El Paso, and Dallas. Florida can be good too, my friend got upgraded as a silver to FLL.

Ones not so good: Any UA hub! I also got one on my way back from Beijing but I think that was just ridiculous luck since its not a CPU route.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
1K here. I connect via ORD frequently. PDX, PHL, and DFW are pretty easy.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:20 am

Programs: UA: Plat, Marriott: Annual Ambassador, Lifetime Grandfather
So far this year, I'm 19-for-66 in getting CPU'd doing mostly ORD-IAD and back. Sometimes, since I'm a leg-runner, I might do a quick layover on the return in CMH or DAY or something like that, and I've sometimes been upgraded on those regional jets...
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
i used to get upgraded all the time ORD-PHL back in the premier exec days.

conceptually, destinations such as Florida and smaller southeast cities where DL is the stronger player are probably the most likely bets.

ORD-STL used to be pretty kind to me as well

if you expect ORD-west coast upgrades, you're gonna be disappointed.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
COS and MSP are easy upgrades for me, but DEN is a very rare upgrade.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by aacharya
1K here. I connect via ORD frequently. PDX, PHL, and DFW are pretty easy.
It's been almost a year since I flew PHL-ORD and more than that since I flew it weekly so I thought I would look at today's flights for kicks. Obviously CPUs depend on travel patterns because today's 5pm PHL-ORD flight has 3 people upgraded with F full and 73 on the wait list. Same for the 815pm PHL-ORD with 4 people upgraded and 28 on the wait list.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, Global Entry, Citi Prestige, Chase MileagePlus Club
1K here. I fly ORD to SFO/SEA/LAX/PDX quite a bit. PDX is the most likely, followed by LAX. SFO almost never happens.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
LAS has been a tough, tough upgrade.

They tend to sell F seats to/from LAS very inexpensively.
TED would like to point out that there is no premium market for ORD-LAS, or for Florida. Drink your lemonade. RAR!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.