Too many United Kiosks?

Old Aug 19, 2016, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by entropy
Well, some of us like to collect our BP's... I used to but don't anymore within north america; at least on UA the stub doesn't contain the same info it used to.
I do keep them on new airlines, and transoceanic trips.

I've had plenty of instances where the mobile app blinks out, re-orients, or you're low on battery.. it is easier to use a home-printed BP rather than have your phone out for agents and TSA people to handle...
I print a BP for collecting purposes and then board with my mobile BP so I still have the intact BP. I prefer cardstock, but flying out of IAD has beaten the resistance out of me (AFAIK you can't get a cardstock BP at IAD checkin). At SFO I'm thus reduced to running it off a kiosk instead of waiting in line for a real BP - it does save five minutes as there is always someone doing something messy with the one agent manning the full-service line.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ronlap
In SFO you use a kiosk then wait and wait and wait for someone to come tag your bag. It's better with the remodel, but because I have Clear, the longest wait is between the time the kiosk finishes and someone wanders over to grab your bag.

My other pet peeve is a line of people standing in the queue while there are a handful of empty kiosks. I never figured that one out.
At the 1K area I have never waited more than about 1 minute for someone to come put the tag on my bag if I used a kiosk. It is my home airport so go there a lot.

Originally Posted by Seby12
IIRC, the process at SFO is you print your bag tag at the kiosk. Shuffle over to the bag drop. Then they check your ID and slap on the priority tag. Then you drop your bag.

Of course, I haven't been to SFO in a month and half and they may have changed where everyone checks in.
That process went away a LONG time ago even before they moved the 1K/Premier area back to where it is now. Probably a year ago that they moved back. Don't remember exactly when but was definitely last year sometime.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 11:42 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis
1) I like cardstock boarding passes, which are only available through the agent or a PMUA kiosk (none at EWR)

2) I don’t like having my information being displayed on a 16 inch screen in front of everyone else. It would take nothing for someone to snap a photo of the conf # and change my itinerary. Same reason why I don’t like ATM’s.

So, the question is, how can I convince the agent at the Premier counter that I want to check-in the old fashioned way?
I don't want to sound flip, bu the answer is that agents are expensive, and maintaining old cardstock printers is expensive. If you want personal service, you need to fly private, gain GS, or perhaps pay extra for United's Signature airport assistance service https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro...e-Service.aspx

If you want to see the future, look at the fee schedule charged by RyanAir -- an LCC in Europe https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful...lp-centre/fees 15 pounds or euros to reprint a BP at the airport -- and 45 pounds or euros to check in at the airport.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Using the EWR Premier International departure area for my two most recent international departures (April and May 16) saw a horde of agents (well actually 2) descend upon me. My bag drop off experience for EWR domestic flights at the 1K/Platinum Premier desk has been tougher with only one or two agents staffing the entire Premier bag drop area. This resulted in longer waits than I have been accustomed to. That said, it was only a few extra minutes.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I hate when they try to MAKE me use the kiosk when I know perfectly well I'll need an agent (checking a bag thru on separate tickets). Last time in IAH she wouldn't even listen to me -- just kept saying use the kiosk, use the kiosk, like I was some newbie who never flew before. So I did and when she gave me the (incorrect) luggage tags she said "Oh, I need to do that for you". I had to bite my lip not to scream <edited by moderator per rules>

Last edited by l etoile; Aug 19, 2016 at 5:47 pm Reason: language
Old Aug 19, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
The only times I use the kiosks is when I need a visa-check prior to being issued a boarding pass.

Not sure how it works at SFO, but EWR was dreadful in this regard.

I recall multiple times waiting and waiting with the yellow '!' on the screen so an agent can verify.

There must be a better way...
Old Aug 19, 2016, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seenitall
I don't want to sound flip, bu the answer is that agents are expensive, and maintaining old cardstock printers is expensive. If you want personal service, you need to fly private, gain GS, or perhaps pay extra for United's Signature airport assistance service https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro...e-Service.aspx

If you want to see the future, look at the fee schedule charged by RyanAir -- an LCC in Europe https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful...lp-centre/fees 15 pounds or euros to reprint a BP at the airport -- and 45 pounds or euros to check in at the airport.
Or I could fly AA, DL, AC or pretty much any other airline in the world that's not a low cost carrier, and go through the traditional channels whenever I please.

It costs very little to keep a cardstock machine, they use the thinnest card stock imaginable, and I'll always be able to get it through the United Clubs, a post-security customer service desk, or asking a gate agent for a re-print.

Kiosks have a purpose, but a customer does not have to use them, no matter how much the passenger insists.

My problem is that if a customer wants to go through newer easy channels, he or she will do so, but if one doesn't agents should be glad to help, it's the process on pretty much every other airline.

I understand if an agent is overwhelmed, and he says could you just use the kiosk or wait on the side until I have time, but I don't like it when there are 4-5 AirServ employees doing nothing, and I get a "use the kiosk and don't bother me".
Old Aug 19, 2016, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
The kiosk approach works better for UA, IMO, due to the poor training at post merger UA. I literally had 3 different agents refuse to fix an issue earlier this week, and I had to stand in front of an agent while on the phone with res in order to get it resolved. Then I was able to check in on the phone and print at a kiosk.

I literally would have been better served if United had fired all the agents at LAX. I wouldn't have wasted my time with them and would have called sooner.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Seby12
IIRC, the process at SFO is you print your bag tag at the kiosk. Shuffle over to the bag drop. Then they check your ID and slap on the priority tag. Then you drop your bag.

Of course, I haven't been to SFO in a month and half and they may have changed where everyone checks in.
That was before the remodel. There were at least 2 dozen Premier kiosks in an open area. You printed your tag then you shuffled over to the bag drop where 20 other people were waiting ahead of you.

After the remodel, the Premier kiosks are all lined up at a counter. Now people stand in line even though there are plenty of open kiosks.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
The only times I use the kiosks is when I need a visa-check prior to being issued a boarding pass.

Not sure how it works at SFO, but EWR was dreadful in this regard.

I recall multiple times waiting and waiting with the yellow '!' on the screen so an agent can verify.

There must be a better way...
When I have this same situation (destination requiring a visa), I approach the agent before starting at the kiosk and say, "Hi, I'm going to need a visa check in just a moment." That way, when I do get the yellow (!) and waive at them, they know I'm experienced and don't think I'm using the kiosk for the first time. Seems to work.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 6:12 pm

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by kklems
I always come up when someone needs to change an international flight for 43 people and a flock of goats.
I also find those situations frustrating, but it hasn't been as bad since they added GG INTERNATIONAL GOAT FLOCK to SHARES.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:39 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by Ronlap
That was before the remodel. There were at least 2 dozen Premier kiosks in an open area. You printed your tag then you shuffled over to the bag drop where 20 other people were waiting ahead of you.

After the remodel, the Premier kiosks are all lined up at a counter. Now people stand in line even though there are plenty of open kiosks.
I walked past the domestic non-premier section recently, and it seemed to have portions with self-tagging, other parts of the economy checkin were similar to premier though.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis
When I go to the United Premier Access Check-In at EWR,
I think EWR probably sums it up.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: UA GS
Remember the phones?

I only had this happen to me once, but I remember going to the premier checkin at ORD on PMUA (I was Premier Exec - this was either one year or one week before the shares cutover..can't remember since I took the same trip 2 years in a row). Had to use a kiosk to check in.

I was going to Sydney and there was a problem with the e-visa. The kiosk said I had to pick up the phone next to it to talk to someone for help. This sent me to a call center where I was put on hold, for at least 5 minutes before I gave up. There were only contract agents who said they couldn't do anything. My 1K friend, who I was traveling with, called me over to get help from an agent.

So...it could be worse.

Last edited by villox; Aug 20, 2016 at 10:12 am
Old Aug 20, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by entropy
Its really a CO thing, they were one of the first major adopters of the kiosks and literally would punish agents for dealing with customers.

I never had that issue with UA.
Funny, I had the opposite experience. My first ever kiosk encounters was UA at LAX maybe 2002-2003ish and the agent told me she "wasn't allowed to" check me in unless the kiosk was broken.

Post-merger my experience was CO agents were always happy to help (though I usually used the kiosk unless I had something weird) while UA agents would snap "Use the Kiosk". One particular entertaining memory was visiting the UA baggage service office in (I think) MCO, the agent telling me I had to use the kiosk -- then walking out and punching the kiosk for me. The kiosk's response "Please see a United Airlines employee for assistance with this issue". The two had a staring contest that felt almost eternal before she threw her hands up and said "go see Continental"

Another one was asking for a UA supervisor at CLE and the agent responding "I don't have a supervisor, it's me or the kiosk, pick who you want to talk to."

To the original poster's point, I like and prefer dealing with a human most of the time -- I was thrilled this morning at SFO to see that a kiosk wasn't eve an option for premier, but there's a certain efficiency to UA's configuration in EWR where I can just walk up, punch in my details and then spend mere minutes trying to stare down a AirServ employee to tag my bag and get on with my day. I just wish the passenger could choose "full service" versus "self serv" -- Though I prefer humans when I'm in a hurry (or there's a line) the last thing I want is another rate limiter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.