Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO-SYD, book Business saver award , or purchase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2016, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM/Gold

Looking at 8/21-8/29. There is Business saver awards available. I could do SFO-NRT, HND-SYD on ANA, then same route back, for 160k total miles. I could also do the UA direct route SFO-SYD-SFO on 8/22-8/29 for 140k miles.

Or purchase UA direct SFO-SYD-SFO cash fare & use GPU that does have R space availability now for ~1700.

I would do the award Business ticket in a heartbeat, if not for the fact that I need the PQM and PQD to reaqualify for 1k. Hard decision.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Well, I personally would not do the ANA routing because of the NRT -> HND connection. That's a pain. If you really need the PQM and PQD, then go with the purchasing option. If you won't reach 1k without purchasing this flight, not really worth it to spend the miles and miss 1k.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
This is one that only you can answer.

Can you afford it? Do you have other uses planned for the miles?

If you are going to need the PQD and PQM for 1K anyway (and don't have other opportunities to get them either through spending your own money or OPMs) seems like a no brainer if you can confirm with R space.

Good use of GPUs for sure - not sure price will get any lower on a W or higher fare either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.