Wiki Posts
Search

Gifts for flight attendants

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2016, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Gifts for flight attendants

After reading on this forum, and then talking with some of the FAs on when the clock starts running for them on getting paid, I have started taking a box of chocolates that I buy in duty free and giving them to the FAs for sharing.

I have always given them my (new) magazines once I have finished reading them - this is on domestic flights.

They really appreciate the small gestures and wanted to thank FT for the wonderful idea of the chocolates/biscuits. I have been impressed with the improvement in service lately, the FAs seem so much happier and it shows, but the small gesture of a box of chocolates for them to share makes them feel appreciated, and don't we all want to feel appreciated in our jobs?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
I carry $15 starbucks gift cards. If a FA has gone above and beyond, I put it in a small thank you note and hand it to them as I exit the plane.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I have given cash, gift cards, chocolates, and other stuff. I always give them something during the holiday period.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
When I'm in YYZ, I often bring a box of Timbits for the FAs - give it to the one at the door as I board and let them know its for the crew for the work they do. They are always really appreciative - I think especially on those runs since unless they are overnighting there, typically, the crews fly onward with the plane as they don't have to do customs, etc, if they don't leave the aircraft.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Maybe I've been thinking about this sort of thing all wrong, or maybe I'm just a jerk, but I have to ask why this isn't incredibly awkward for the giver and the recipient?

You're approaching someone whom you've (almost certainly) never met who will be providing you service and giving them a gift, or apparently even a cash equivalent, presumably with the expectation that they're going to give you better service in return?

In what other context would you do that? Even in situations where tipping is expected and customary, what do you do? Do you ask the maitre d' to point out your waiter/waitress as they're seating you, so that you can palm them a $20 before you receive your menu?

Are do you guys just go around handing people gifts because you're nice people?

I get doing it at the end of the flight - I also offer up my magazines. I've even been known to save up copies of "Aviation Week & Space Technology" to give to the cockpit crew after the flight. But bribing somebody at the beginning of the flight just seems crass.

Greg
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: VS, BA, C, C++, IoT
@greg99 - it can be a rewarding job to be cabin crew...but it can also be miserable, and trying. I do like to give cabin crew chocs at the start of the trip, as I've mentioned in other threads, and it's never been an awkward experience. It's not particularly costly, it brightens their day and makes them more tolerant of the idiots, and that means everyone gets a more enjoyable trip. So, I suppose you'd call it "qualified altruism".

Let's face it, unless you're travelling on a really cheap package holiday or a low-cost nickel-and-diming carrier, a nice $20 box of chox falls into the noise, in comparison with the cost of your flight and what you're going to do whilst you're there, and it makes people happy. And if they won't accept it, you've got some very nice sweeties to munch when you arrive. Win-win!
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by jonsg
@greg99 - it can be a rewarding job to be cabin crew...but it can also be miserable, and trying. I do like to give cabin crew chocs at the start of the trip, as I've mentioned in other threads, and it's never been an awkward experience. It's not particularly costly, it brightens their day and makes them more tolerant of the idiots, and that means everyone gets a more enjoyable trip. So, I suppose you'd call it "qualified altruism".
I hear you, but it's just a strange concept to me, since custom and practice isn't to tip flight attendants, and even in environments where tips are customary like a meal, you would normally do so after services are delivered.

Where do you draw the line?

Coincidentally I'm sitting in a doctor's waiting room right now. Should I have handed the receptionist a box of chocolates to get a room sooner?

Where do you draw the line? Baksheesh is a continuum that ultimately encompasses outright bribery.

Greg
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I recently bought 3x$5 Starbucks cards for the F/As on an DEN-SFO flight on an A320. I was sitting in F and had no expectations of anything in return.

I do things like this because I get enjoyment from making other people happy. The gratitude was worth way more than the $15.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I was flying a red-eye some months ago. During boarding one of the F/As brought up two Red Bulls that were gifts from a FC passenger. Not sure if it was intended as a joke or if he thought we really needed them...
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by SFO28L
I recently bought 3x$5 Starbucks cards for the F/As on an DEN-SFO flight on an A320. I was sitting in F and had no expectations of anything in return.

I do things like this because I get enjoyment from making other people happy. The gratitude was worth way more than the $15.
I'm genuinely pleased that you've found something that gives you joy. I share that feeling when I have the opportunity to drop off gift cards for a nearby cupcake shop for families at our local Ronald McDonald House.

I still wonder, though, in what other contexts you do this? F/A's aren't people typically be considered as recipients of charitable donations just because they are F/A's, I would have thought. Are the gift cards just for F/A's or others whom you meet in passing in life?

Greg
Old Aug 11, 2016, 2:03 pm

Programs: United 1k, Hawaiian Premier
I do this all the time. Based in HNL, I usually bring small gifts like boxes of chocolate covered macadamia nuts or Hawaiian cookies to clients when I travel. I just get a couple of extra ones for the FAs.

It's never awkward or uncomfortable (@greg99) - I just sat Mahalo and thank them for the work they do. Nothing is expected in return, and reactions have ranged from thanks and a smile to treating me like the Sultan of Brunei (a slight exaggeration, but amazing treatment nonetheless).
Old Aug 11, 2016, 2:06 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
As many of you folks know, I give out Tootsie-PopsŪ to not only United flight crews but also to any agent I come in contact with (and have been for many many years) and it's simply to put a smile on their face and to "make up for the pax they had either before me or the one after me" - and anyone who has worked in a service industry knows exactly what type of pax/customer I'm referring to .
Old Aug 11, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Smile

Originally Posted by greg99
I hear you, but it's just a strange concept to me, since custom and practice isn't to tip flight attendants, and even in environments where tips are customary like a meal, you would normally do so after services are delivered.

Where do you draw the line?

Coincidentally I'm sitting in a doctor's waiting room right now. Should I have handed the receptionist a box of chocolates to get a room sooner?

Where do you draw the line? Baksheesh is a continuum that ultimately encompasses outright bribery.

Greg
It's funny you say this. I save the chocolates from my crew meals and usually give just them to the kids.

Was on the way home from the airport and stopped by the doctor to attempt a reschedule of my annual physical I can't make because I'm flying later in the month. Was told, "No spots available at the present moment" but left the chocolates with the receptionist anyway.

Low and behold someone canceled next Tuesday, she called me and I slid in that spot this afternoon.

Power of the cocoa!
Old Aug 11, 2016, 2:15 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
I've done this for years as well, usually a small Ghirardelli assortment when departing SF and something local, if possible, for the return. It's always well appreciated and 90% of the time results in spectacular service, which is just a bonus in my book.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I try to do similar things for our support staff and graduate students at work. Its not usually a gift card but I will pickup the tab for coffees or beers if I have the chance. If I have workers at my house to fix/build something I offer to buy lunch or coffee. I don't want to make the impression that I do this on every flight. Last week I had some time to kill during a long ATC delay and I know some passengers can take delays out on the crew.

I think its pretty clear that the perks of being an F/A have significantly eroded over the last 10-20 years along with many other careers that don't require a college education. I can't change or reverse this but I can make a small gesture once in awhile that conveys my appreciation that someone is doing a job that makes my day easier or better.

Originally Posted by greg99
I'm genuinely pleased that you've found something that gives you joy. I share that feeling when I have the opportunity to drop off gift cards for a nearby cupcake shop for families at our local Ronald McDonald House.

I still wonder, though, in what other contexts you do this? F/A's aren't people typically be considered as recipients of charitable donations just because they are F/A's, I would have thought. Are the gift cards just for F/A's or others whom you meet in passing in life?

Greg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.