Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F Seat Poaching

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2016, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
I fully agree just plopping in a seat that isn't yours is totally wrong. On the rare occasion I have asked to change to sit next to my son or daughter, I have stood out of the way and waited for the passenger to arrive at their seat. Then before they sit and get settled in, I make my request. Fair or foul?
Not only fair -- but the preferred method IMH. I also don't ask anyone to trade for a worse seat (ie offer an aisle for a middle seat, etc.)
Old Aug 10, 2016, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
My wife and I usually book aisle seats in front of one another so at least one of us doesn't get reclined on during long haul.
Boarded the other day to find lady sitting in the 'front' seat. Said she wanted to be next to her husband across the aisle. Hers was a few rows down so I agreed on the condition she didn't recline.
But soon after take off she did.
My wife told her she had broken the 'agreement' and would have to move back to her old seat.
There was a slight kerfuffle but the husband intervened and told his wife to behave herself and stay upright.
He is probably still sleeping on the sofa at home.
I wont be moving ever again unless instructed by FA
Old Aug 10, 2016, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
8D on a 738 is too close to the lav for me. I'll sit 7F or 8F, but not the aisle. If I want an aisle, I'll choose 9C or 9D (or further back).
How is 8D close to the lav on a 738!!!???
Old Aug 10, 2016, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Citi Prestige, AMEX Platinum, SPG Gold
I don't understand why people think that taking your assigned seat risks letting the other person settle in.

When I want to trade seats--usually because there are zero flights with two seats together the entire day, which often happens 3 weeks in advance with all this E+ monetization--everyone sits in their assigned seats. When our neighbors board, we ask if they wouldn't mind moving to the other seat. If you sit in both places, you have twice the chances of finding a neighbor who is willing to switch.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Bruin1K
How is 8D close to the lav on a 738!!!???
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni..._737-800_D.php

(I can't keep up with all the different configs; life was easier with PMUA's fleet)
Old Aug 10, 2016, 11:13 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni..._737-800_D.php

(I can't keep up with all the different configs; life was easier with PMUA's fleet)
Does that config even exist (anymore?)? united.com certainly doesn't list it:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...0/default.aspx
Old Aug 10, 2016, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm just a typo machine today. I meant 739, not 738. My apologies.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by televisor
Does that config even exist (anymore?)? united.com certainly doesn't list it:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...0/default.aspx
No idea. My first thought was that the poster meant the 739 (which turned out to be correct), but then as I was going through the collection of 738 I came across that one. Seatguru may very well be out of date.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:12 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
I am just saying in some very specific circumstances it makes sense to sit in the seat and then ask, as it is easier and more convenient for all involved. If the person says no, and the poacher immediately complies, I am not offended.
Personally, no--I would never do this. It conveys entitlement rather than a request.

My approach:
1. I only ask if the seats are equivalent. In rare cases, involving a young child or a disability issue, I might ask if the other person would actually prefer a window over aisle or vice versa--to acknowledge that it is their choice. Also, if there is a real need like this the FA will usually help.
2. I ALWAYS tell the person I am asking about a potential seat change that it is a request and they should feel free to stay put if that is their preference. And I mean it.
3. I have learned the hard way not to assume someone is intentionally sitting in the wrong seat. People do get confused, and many are not as experienced travelers as we are. I have a couple of times been on flights where multiple people had boarding passes listing the same seat number--many years ago, but still. Politely say perhaps there is a mistake and ask the person to check the boarding pass. Makes everyone feel better, which is a good thing.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:34 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by UTex09
In a sick way I've always been astounded at the cojones on some folks who try to pull this off. My favorite was a few years ago IAH-LHR in J I found an elderly woman who pretended to not speak English to get me to take her middle E- seat for my J seat. Yeah no thanks. After it was clear she wasn't going to go easily I had the FA resolve it quickly

Keep an eye on those elderly seat mates ! Lol
Old Aug 11, 2016, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
Just remember to be polite when you find someone else in your seat. I sat in my E+ seat on a TPAC once to have someone chase me off. My seat was in fact one row behind. I was confused by the number overhead. (Sometimes the numbers don't line up well) Sometimes people make legitimate mistakes.
Agreed, but here's the most boring FT story ever:

I boarded and found a man in my seat. I pointed out the error. The man apologized and moved immediately.

I always start by pleasantly pointing out it is the wrong seat. I'm sure the vast majority of FT'ers do the same. People aren't always precisely alert when flying; there can be language barriers; et cetera and so on... But if the poacher balks, summon lighting and bring the pain!
Old Aug 11, 2016, 5:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Fleck
Agreed, but here's the most boring FT story ever:

I boarded and found a man in my seat. I pointed out the error. The man apologized and moved immediately.

I always start by pleasantly pointing out it is the wrong seat. I'm sure the vast majority of FT'ers do the same. People aren't always precisely alert when flying; there can be language barriers; et cetera and so on... But if the poacher balks, summon lighting and bring the pain!
I do the same. And 9 out of 10 times, the passenger realizes their mistake, and quickly moves. But when they are poachers, they become the embodiment of all evil.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 6:13 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764
No doubt that it is the courteous thing do to, but the issue here is exactly this... it was at the request of the SA.

Asking revenue pax to switch seats is one of the NRSA mortal sins. You take your assigned seat and that's it, unless moved by GA/crew or a revenue pax asks you to switch. Even in that case, the NRSA should think twice. If that person was an employee, they absolutely should have known better, and if the person was on someone else's pass, the sponsoring employee is wrong, and should have been explicitly clear as to the "dos and don'ts" of nonrevving.

If I were in the same situation, I probably would be willing to switch, but that's really beside the point.
"mortal sins"
Old Aug 11, 2016, 6:57 am

I was in J on NRT-GUM once, and it was on the old Micronesia 14J 738 so the left side had the closet in row 1, and the first row was row 2. I had 3A, which was the second row, but the gentleman in 2A (very reasonably) assumed his seat would be the second row back. Pointed it out to him, everyone changed seats, all was well... until 3B would not stop projectile vomiting throughout the entire flight. Should've just sat in 2A instead...
Old Aug 11, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I think this issue is pretty clear. Take your assigned seat and then ask to switch later IF:

- you want to sit next to your wife on your honeymoon
- you want to sit next to your minor children
- AND the airline caused the seat split, not your own ineptness

In any other case (you simply made an error / were not paying attention / kids are adults / colleagues did not coordinate seats with you at booking) just suck it up and fly in separated seats. It won'y kill you.

That said, I have been on flights with my toddler children where the airline made seat changes close to departure without recourse for us, and we ended up having to ask folks to change seats so that our 5 year old wouldn't sit next to them all alone. Usually, that was never a problem because NOBODY wants to deal with a 5 year old they don't know for 10 hours without the parents present.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.