Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

FLL United Club Closed (temporary location in the meantime) - ARCHIVE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FLL United Club Closed (temporary location in the meantime) - ARCHIVE

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2018, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Any idea where the new lounge will be?
I will be at FLL next week and will be interested to visit the construction site.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, and a certain status at an unnamed airline
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Any idea where the new lounge will be?
I will be at FLL next week and will be interested to visit the construction site.
Back in January, one of the UC agents told me it would be where the old C security checkpoint was located.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Mike2K

Back in January, one of the UC agents told me it would be where the old C security checkpoint was located.
When I was there a few months ago you can see the actual construction ( just to the right of the escalator that goes up to the new modern area)
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mkrecek
No. United was not able to start building until the airport finished some other construction. I was also told by FLL Club agent that it should open in October.
Anytime the Broward County Aviation Dept is involved in a project, there are 4 stages

1. (mis)plan the project
2. triple the budget over the initial estimate
3. quadruple the time to completion over the original estimate
4. get half way done, cancel and start over after paying millions in bribes and penalties

So, I won't believe the new Club will open until I can actually walk through the front door.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Mike2K
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
When I was there a few months ago you can see the actual construction ( just to the right of the escalator that goes up to the new modern area)
IIRC, That location does not seem to have windows, so the new United Club won’t have natural light.

I will take a look when I pass through there next week.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
...the new United Club won’t have natural light...
If that is the case, it certainly sounds like something United would do, even in new construction. I have noticed a number of their clubs that seemed to be subterranean caves so I guess its customers are accustomed to that sort of facility.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:20 pm

IIRC, That location does not seem to have windows, so the new United Club won’t have natural light.

I will take a look when I pass through there next week.
I was through a few weeks ago and I could not exactly pinpoint the location as there was multiple construction areas where I think the Club will be.

A while back I was told that it would be in what was the News stand which was next to the old club, but I have also heard that it will be where the old checkpoint was, so who knows if I am right or not.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
This morning the FLL UC agents told me, "Now they're saying January 2019."
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:10 am

Lol, BCAD, my Dad was told February and maybe ever later than that.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:02 pm

Hello - going to FLL tomorrow. Will try to post a picture or two if I see anything interesting. Anything I should know?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
Was in there yesterday. UC staff said late Jan or early Feb opening of new UC. New club is located just to the left of the escalators as you come down from security (boarded up area).
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:57 pm
Suspended

And you actually believed them?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:11 am

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
And you actually believed them?
I asked for when they expected it to open, reported back my response. Whether one believes that is up to oneself
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by rolltribe
Was in there yesterday. UC staff said late Jan or early Feb opening of new UC. New club is located just to the left of the escalators as you come down from security (boarded up area).
This is sort of like saying "in dog years" - any project with the involvement of the Broward County Aviation Department will ultimately blow way past its project deadline, come in at quadruple the cost, include graft, bribes and other criminal mayhem, and ultimately end up as a disaster that finishes up so far beyond the original planned date, no one can even remember when the project started or how much it was suppose to cost, or who got bribed or paid off by who, or who owns the slush fund accounts in Panama.

So, in a nutshell, this could be late January or early February of 2019, 2020 or who knows when. Although the temporary UC can get crowded, it is very nice and has great staff - over the years, the FLL UC (and CO PC before it) always had among the best staff at any club location worldwide. At least they are keeping Air Canada over at the T2 Delta terminal, otherwise the UC in T1 would be overrun with AC *G thumbing through the cheese cubes and cookies with their bare hands, just like at a MLL.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bocastephen
...At least they are keeping Air Canada over at the T2 Delta terminal,...
IMO, when WestJet gears up according to plan and the partnership with DL goes full tilt, there is likely no longer to be any be room for AC in Terminal 2 until the complete terminal do-over, which could be five years or more out.

As to the other point made in that post, Phase 1 of DL SkyClub renovation was announced to take place over a finite period starting sometime in May and finishing Mid-October. This is exactly what happened since the project was managed by Delta instead of the BCAD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.