Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

FLL United Club Closed (temporary location in the meantime) - ARCHIVE

FLL United Club Closed (temporary location in the meantime) - ARCHIVE

Old Dec 25, 2016, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
I see it as I am there now. What did they do to the ticket counter are. Looks much smaller.
all of the ticket counters were compressed because the middle area is undergoing construction of the new central screening area
Old Dec 25, 2016, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Hope UA will build a bigger lounge adter all the renovation to the terminal is done. It is always crowded (both and new), and not enough space for all the passenger.

It is also my wishful thinking that UA could expand FLL services.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Hope UA will build a bigger lounge adter all the renovation to the terminal is done. It is always crowded (both and new), and not enough space for all the passenger.

It is also my wishful thinking that UA could expand FLL services.
I think a new lounge closer to the upcoming central checkpoint is in the plans, and while it will probably be bigger than what was there before, I'm not sure how big it will be given the tight space that will still exist after the renovation.

The airport itself is tightly constrained for terminal and gate space and their only real option is to take some of the (highly lucrative) commercial through-the-fence ops on the opposite side of the field facing T1+2 and build a remote terminal area there accessible by underground tram, temporarily move Delta over there, and then rebuild T2 and join it with T1 and T3 to make one large continuous terminal space with the remote concourse for overflow and growth....that could be 15-20 years in the future given how slow the brains work at BCAD.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 7:01 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
In the temporary club now. The staff continues to be top-notch, explaining to all who enter that it is temporary, the rest rooms are outside, etc. The bartender is offering complimentary beer and wine (and it's 9am!). But it's jam-packed, with few empty seats at the high-top tables.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond
I think the renovated club is now open? If anyone's visited the new club, please report back. THanks!
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
all of the ticket counters were compressed because the middle area is undergoing construction of the new central screening area
Someone told me that during the construction, there are no kiosks in front of the counters, so there are longer lines, is that true, are there no kiosks in the temporary set-up? How about a Premier Access Lane?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis
Someone told me that during the construction, there are no kiosks in front of the counters, so there are longer lines, is that true, are there no kiosks in the temporary set-up? How about a Premier Access Lane?
There are kiosks, just not directly in front the counters - IIRC from my last arrival, they are lines perpendicular to the counter. There is still a Premier Access area for check-in.

Originally Posted by glu800
I think the renovated club is now open? If anyone's visited the new club, please report back. THanks!
The permanent club location is likely far from ready - it is unlikely to open until the new central concourse linking the B and C piers opens later this year.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 8:11 pm
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
Does anyone know when they change from the breakfast food items to afternoon snacks?

Thanks.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 9:20 pm

Around 10:30am/11:00am IME....but, YMMV.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
There are kiosks, just not directly in front the counters - IIRC from my last arrival, they are lines perpendicular to the counter. There is still a Premier Access area for check-in.

The permanent club location is likely far from ready - it is unlikely to open until the new central concourse linking the B and C piers opens later this year.
My Wife and I were visiting friends in Lauderdale and they took us to a brewery not to far away and I happened to sit next to a Gentleman who works for the construction firm doing Terminal 1 (apparently they are not using the same company for Terminal 4), he said that the permanent club is some time off, but that is should be a little larger than the temporary club currently in use.

He said figure maybe April/May at the earliest though he said it could be faster or slower depending on many factors, so don't hold him to it. He said they are making faster progress than originally thought, but complications can and do always arise.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 2MM
When I emailed 1KVoice to complain about their closing the old club before opening the temporary one many months ago, they said the new club would open end of 2017.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
What a complete cluster. No bathrooms and no wi-fi. has to be close to 80 degrees in there. They have a nice looking check in area and then no desks. I walked out. The public wi-fi doesn't work. I just sent an email to 1kVoice asking for $50 towards my next subscription since that is how much they value visits. I never thought the old club would be better than even a temp.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PushingTin
What a complete cluster. No bathrooms and no wi-fi. has to be close to 80 degrees in there. They have a nice looking check in area and then no desks. I walked out. The public wi-fi doesn't work. I just sent an email to 1kVoice asking for $50 towards my next subscription since that is how much they value visits. I never thought the old club would be better than even a temp.
1. the bathrooms are outside (public restrooms) - many people used the public restrooms when the old club was open because the club restrooms were often occupied with a line. There is simply no way to add the plumbing required to install restrooms in the temp club.

2. the old club did away with its own Wifi a couple years ago and uses the airport's own Wifi - the temp club is just continuing that arrangement

3. if the temperature is too high, just tell the desk and they can call airport facilities, although the airport may refuse to change the temperature. Any dealings with the incompetent buffoons at BCAD are unlikely to resolve as expected
Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:43 pm

The temperature in the club last time through was warm and the UNITED employees knew about and said that they and their manager have complained to BCAD about it, but nothing has been done to correct the issue.

They said that someone from HVAC did come, played around with something and then promptly left and whatever they did not seem to yield any results.

I would have asked my favorite agent but she was not there my last two times through, in fact, it was an entirely new group of employees (at least new to me).

I miss the days of Jim, he was the best and one of the last remnants of the days when even the bar tenders (he tended bar at the SFO President's Club outside of security) were direct employees of the airline. He later transferred to an agent position when the bar tenders were outsourced and he retired a few years ago. Truly an excellent employee.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kmersh

I miss the days of Jim, he was the best and one of the last remnants of the days when even the bar tenders (he tended bar at the SFO President's Club outside of security) were direct employees of the airline. He later transferred to an agent position when the bar tenders were outsourced and he retired a few years ago. Truly an excellent employee.
Unfortunately complaining to BCAD will likely result in the temperature being increased rather than decreased, with some obnoxious tool in the BCAD office snickering with glee.

Now you have me waxing nostalgic for all of the CO old-timers at the Club. I remember Jim too, and enjoyed our chats. He knew of Flyertalk and also many of us by our FT names. The station has a had a lot of turnover since the merger - there are many new faces and many familiar faces I miss, but the station team as a whole continues to be among the best in the system.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.