Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United and 2017 Government Contracts

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
United and 2017 Government Contracts

Building off a forum from last year entitled "United and the 2016 Government Contracts"

Looks like UA has won back some government contracts that it's lost over the last few years. In particular I note they got BWI/IAD-HNL and WAS-GUM. Still don't have the NRT contract which remains with AA. Looks like they're trying to do a better job of not losing those contracts out of IAD. As a frequent GUM flyer happy to see the YCA fares come back. They lost this contract awhile ago and it drove a lot of folks to Delta.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
They lost both of the ones I fly -- WAS-TLV and WAS-CDG -- to DL.

Sucks for me.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
And ONT-PHF/ORF are staying AA...
Old Aug 6, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Is there anything publicly published about these, or just information from those 'in-the-know'?
Old Aug 6, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Is there anything publicly published about these, or just information from those 'in-the-know'?
The list is published on the GSA website (or in easier format CP search website)

The FedTravel site shows the information in a better format (actual flights), but has not been updated to FY17 yet.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Has anyone on a -CA fare (say an SCA) been able to "buy up" to a W fare out of pocket, so as to be able to apply a GPU?

Last edited by sannmann; Aug 6, 2016 at 5:01 pm
Old Aug 6, 2016, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
They lost both of the ones I fly -- WAS-TLV and WAS-CDG -- to DL.

Sucks for me.
Although they got back IAD-BRU, from a contract that went to AA with a stop in LHR. Pretty unbelievable that the government wouldn't award a capital to capital non-stop flight for a year.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 8:48 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
really bummed AA got the IAH-COS route back from UA. I only fly it about once or twice a year for USAFA but the old DFW stops on AA are annoying compared to non-stop.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by drewguy
Although they got back IAD-BRU, from a contract that went to AA with a stop in LHR. Pretty unbelievable that the government wouldn't award a capital to capital non-stop flight for a year.
IIRC, "capital to capital" does not factor into the GSA's metrics for deciding which airline wins a route. They do weight availability of non-stop flights higher than connecting flights, but that weighting will not overcome a sizable difference in fares.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 9:41 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
So UA has the IAD-SMX city pair for 2017--but isn't UA dropping service to SMX shortly?
Old Aug 7, 2016, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Does anyone see the YCA fares loaded into the system yet? UA seems to be pricing higher than YCA fare on their online gov't booking tool.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
IIRC, "capital to capital" does not factor into the GSA's metrics for deciding which airline wins a route. They do weight availability of non-stop flights higher than connecting flights, but that weighting will not overcome a sizable difference in fares.
I realize that the algorithm doesn't change depending on the route . . . the comment was more an observation about how peculiar these things are (and how much government time was wasted making a stop in London, although apparently government employees' time is cheap!)
Old Aug 7, 2016, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA 1k
This was the case for IAD-VIE this past year as well. Now it's back to UA codeshare on OS. For my SIL who makes about 10 trips a year it's huge to get the direct flight back.

Originally Posted by drewguy
I realize that the algorithm doesn't change depending on the route . . . the comment was more an observation about how peculiar these things are (and how much government time was wasted making a stop in London, although apparently government employees' time is cheap!)
Old Aug 7, 2016, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, UA 1P, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
UA is back to IAD-DEL and IAD-SIN (formerly AA in FY16)
Old Aug 7, 2016, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by geoman244
UA is back to IAD-DEL and IAD-SIN (formerly AA in FY16)
Assuming this just means they will route via existing network and won't introduce a new route (e.g. IAD-DEL non-stop)? Sorry for the dumb questions...just know that some of the routes previously flown (like IAD-DXB) were solely because of the government contracts...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.