Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Odd / Uncomfortable experience on United flight - should I be upset?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Odd / Uncomfortable experience on United flight - should I be upset?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2016, 9:45 pm

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Uncouth behaviour rules ... people are completely clueless and if they even 'get it' they don't care. They don't know you, they'll never see you again, they don't care what you think. I would have gotten up to go find a different seat. Failing that, you bring your book and music along on flights for a reason ... and this is one of them.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by teeceedee
Completely agree with all your points re: addressing the behavior, but there are multiple cultures out there that emphasize suffering in silence / avoiding conflict.

Personally, I try to avoid conflict where possible - and given my own personal preferences, chose to grin and bear it. I fully recognize this may not be what you would've done, but to each their own.
There are times when it's common sense to speak up before involving an authority. IMO, this was not one of those times. Best case, it would have been an awkward moment that lasted for the rest of the flight. And talking to a FA may have resulted in the FA not taking action against a fellow employee.

I wouldn't have confronted them either in this situation. Not sure what I would have done. All I can think of is that I would have talked to a FA and asked to be reseated if it bothered me. And that's not usually a great outcome either, even if there is an open seat.

I think the best course of action, as others have said, is to write a complaint. Identify the flight, date, and seats and ask for the behavior to be addressed.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA GS/MM, MR PPE/LTG, ‎TSA Pre✓, NEXUS, APEC BTC, UKBF RT, CLEAR, DXB E-GATE
I would have fired up the cell phone and made a cute little video of the make-out session...hehehehe (I jest, I jest)
Old Aug 6, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I had a similar situation recently, but it was with non employees. The guy's hand was on the woman's thigh as high as he could possibly go. She was curling up all over him. I was uncomfortable but didn't say anything, because if you say something, people can make things even uglier to retaliate.

I understand why folks might say to say something to the couple, but when I've asked men not to encroach on my space, they often encroach even further.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 5:02 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Even demanding to see a revenue passenger's boarding pass and then commenting to the effect that they're disappointed to find a customer in their row is at least borderline inappropriate. In fact, I'm not sure nonrevs are supposed to display their airline IDs in public after getting past airport security.

I know that on DL, nonrevs aren't allowed to ask revenue passengers to swap seats and they're also not supposed to criticize their own seating assignments.

The overriding most important principle is not to disturb, annoy, or inconvenience the airline's paying passengers.
I would agree with MSPeconomist (and the others) that share this sentiment. I don't think it's appropriate for an off-duty, non-flight crew United employee to ask to see my boarding pass because they felt I shouldn't be in that seat and then make a comment such as he did. While I doubt his intentions were to make the OP uncomfortable with his statement I think the employee should be more self aware at a minimum.

As for the PDA issue I would say this is more subjective. It certainly doesn't sound like what they were doing was appropriate behavior for a public setting; his employment status notwithstanding.

Just remember that if you report this to UA they will be able to immediately identify the employee. The consequences for him could be very severe so I would just suggest that you really gauge how upsetting this was and if it is worth the potential outcome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.