Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Bought TOD, then changes flights. Refund due?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2016, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Bought a TOD (well, $129). Got to gate and found earlier nonstop was delayed (original flight was connection). Changed to that flight. Am I eligible for a TOD refund for the flight I didn't take?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 6:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Not entitled, no. Those upgrades are expressly non-refundable.

There have been reports they will transfer on an SDC.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not entitled, no. Those upgrades are expressly non-refundable.

There have been reports they will transfer on an SDC.
How about if there is a sched change resulting is needing to cancel and refund? Does the ToD get refunded then?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yes, it is refundable for involuntary changes. Generally speaking, if a GM wouldn't have to pay a fee to make the change, then the upgrade can be refunded. In practice, in addition to SDC, I have been able to transfer the upgrade intact when reapplying but not reissuing a flight coupon (though an agent did this for me without asking - I was ready to have to eat the TOD and upfare to F).
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
A couple years ago I bought a ToD, wound up missing my flight due to my own fault, and was rebooked on another flight in Y. I filed a refund request with United since I flew in Y, not F, and they refunded it. It was all on the same PNR so it was easy for them to see. YMMV?
Old May 25, 2018, 9:07 am
CLG

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Circle
Does anyone have more recent experience with this? Interested in a buy-up via app since odds of clearing CPU is low, but I might have to modify my dates. Hate to toss out my own $$ on a company ticket (thus could not just buy F)!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.