Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jmanirish
To update and help others - dates finally came within the 337 day window. Called at 12:00am CST. Agent had no problem adding my 'excursionist' segment and return flight. She didn't mention any issues about having to revalidate my existing segments, or anything about them no longer being available. Quite pleased.
Nice! I imagine this will run into problems on the new system so good to hear it went smoothly.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:37 am

Question Award Ticket Business class MCO to DEL

Seniors could you guys please tell me how many award miles I would need to buy business class award ticket from MCO to DEL during any date between Oct to Feb next year roundtrip?

Normally, other airlines require 140k but United rep wasn't able to tell me. Could you guys chime in with your expertise please. Thanks.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:00 am

140,000 miles for Business Class Saver Award on United or 160,000 miles for Business Class Saver Award on a Star Alliance partner.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...ardTravel.aspx
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by jamesbondc
Seniors could you guys please tell me how many award miles I would need to buy business class award ticket from MCO to DEL during any date between Oct to Feb next year roundtrip?

Normally, other airlines require 140k but United rep wasn't able to tell me. Could you guys chime in with your expertise please. Thanks.
And since you mentioned dates, I should add that there isn't any low- or high-season award pricing on UA: either there's saver availability or there isn't. Note also that int'l saver J awards on UA metal have become rare. If you're going to DEL on a saver J award, you'll almost certainly be paying 160K miles to fly a *A partner -- hopefully not AI.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UA Apologist
140,000 miles for Business Class Saver Award on United or 160,000 miles for Business Class Saver Award on a Star Alliance partner.
Assuming you find the saver inventory. If not the cost on UA metal goes up significantly. Presumably that's one reason the agent couldn't provide a generic answer to the number of points required.

Last edited by sbm12; Jun 29, 2017 at 6:53 am
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: UA: Silver
multi segment MUA

I live in Denver, so usually I have to have a stopover to go overseas.
I would like to go business using MUA's. With some searching, I can find R space available on the overseas segment, for example SFO->AKL.
But when I attempt to do DEN->AKL, then the DEN->SFO segment is R0 and the UA website will waitlist for the the whole flight.
I don't want to take the waitlist chance. I don't mind being in Y for the domestic segment but want J for the long haul.
I suppose I could book the SFO/AKL roundtrip independently of the DEN/SFO roundtrip, but I'm guessing there's no way to combine them after the fact into a single PNR?
Can you book the whole trip and then call and get the overseas segment instantly upgrade as there is clearly R available?

What is the best way to handle multisegment MUA's?
Old Jul 2, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by colopaul
With some searching, I can find R space available on the overseas segment, for example SFO->AKL.
But when I attempt to do DEN->AKL, then the DEN->SFO segment is R0 and the UA website will waitlist for the the whole flight.
That's just a display error. If there is R on SFO-AKL, it will clear when you apply the upgrade. If it doesn't, call and they will clear it for you.

Lengthy thread on this topic. R Availability Changes Depending on How You Search Flights.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 10:02 am

A question about changing award tickets:

I booked round trip economy saver award tickets for my husband and I, IAH-LAX-MEL, leaving in August. It turns out that my husband, but not me, will need to be in the Baltimore/Washington area both shortly before we leave and shortly after we arrive.

Is it feasible to change just his ticket and not mine to be Washington-LAX-MEL round trip, keeping the dates the same and keeping him on the same LAX-MEL and MEL-LAX flights as me? Would we just have to pay one change fee?
Old Jul 2, 2017, 11:41 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, Sariellet

Originally Posted by Sariellet
... Is it feasible to change just his ticket and not mine to be Washington-LAX-MEL round trip, keeping the dates the same and keeping him on the same LAX-MEL and MEL-LAX flights as me? Would we just have to pay one change fee?
Yes this is possible
-- you will have to "split" the tickets into twp separate PNRs, agents can do this easily (and you can do online also)
-- Once split, you can change the tickets

Yes there will be a change fee (depending on the elite status of the source of the miles used)

Additionally there will be the issue of award space availability for the new flights

Also since these will be a new origin, the tickets will need to be re-issued and space on the MEL flights may be a problem. Understand you already hold space but the new origin / ticket creates some complexities that could block this.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Welcome to FT!, Sariellet

Yes this is possible
-- you will have to "split" the tickets into twp separate PNRs, agents can do this easily (and you can do online also)
-- Once split, you can change the tickets

Yes there will be a change fee (depending on the elite status of the source of the miles used)

Additionally there will be the issue of award space availability for the new flights

Also since these will be a new origin, the tickets will need to be re-issued and space on the MEL flights may be a problem. Understand you already hold space but the new origin / ticket creates some complexities that could block this.
Thanks. I did this and it worked just as you described. I was able to get tickets for him on the same Melbourne flight.

As this is an international flight so checked bags aren't an issue, it seems that the main disadvantages to the split PNR are that he will no longer get priority boarding and we will have to keep checking to see if we are seated together.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA Global Services / Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador / Lifetime Titanium
Trying to find saver Y PDX-FCO on a specific date in My '18 (so just under the 330 day window). I have found PDX-SFO-MUC-FCO, but really want to avoid West Coast to Europe in Y. So, I've been looking at options through EWR, IAD, etc.

I did find ORD-FCO non-stop available, and booked it. The PDX-ORD segment is not available yet as saver award. I know there have been changes since last October that could impact this... But will I be able to simply add on that segment to the full itinerary when it becomes available in XY, keeping it as one 30K ticket? Or will it be dependent on available space on all segments at that time, even though I've got ORD-FCO supposedly all booked?

Thank you in advance.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by u2vox
Trying to find saver Y PDX-FCO on a specific date in My '18 (so just under the 330 day window). I have found PDX-SFO-MUC-FCO, but really want to avoid West Coast to Europe in Y. So, I've been looking at options through EWR, IAD, etc.

I did find ORD-FCO non-stop available, and booked it. The PDX-ORD segment is not available yet as saver award. I know there have been changes since last October that could impact this... But will I be able to simply add on that segment to the full itinerary when it becomes available in XY, keeping it as one 30K ticket? Or will it be dependent on available space on all segments at that time, even though I've got ORD-FCO supposedly all booked?

Thank you in advance.
Don't have good news for you here. There are plenty of reports that to add the domestic segment (when it becomes available), there will have to be new inventory on the longhaul.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by u2vox
But will I be able to simply add on that segment to the full itinerary when it becomes available in XY, keeping it as one 30K ticket? Or will it be dependent on available space on all segments at that time, even though I've got ORD-FCO supposedly all booked?
Reports are mixed. They should theoretically be able to add a segment since ORD-FCO is UA metal rather than partner operated. YMMV.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:03 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Seeking advise on partner award booking

Well, I turn to the experts again here at flyertalk!! Thanks as always.

Been saving up lot of miles with a number of programs and am piecing together quite a trip. Finally was ready to book an award with my UA miles and am running into a snag, of course.

Trying to book DPS > BKK > SYD
DPS > BKK in Business(I) TG 432
BKK > SYD in First(F) TG 475

This is a one way ticket with a 23h connection in BKK

When I search the segments individually there is saver award for both flights. If you search for award ticket as one trip only Business class available, and the TG 475 no longer an option. Now only shows TG 471 with business saver availability.

Thought I would try my luck and call agents to see if they could bypass or make the routing work...
I have now tried 3 times and keep getting same answer. That they are unable to book my itinerary because their computers don't show the mixed class ticket when searching as a single trip.
Is it futile to continue calling back, or are the rumors true that it just depends on the agent you speak with.

Thanks for the help.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: United Premier
Hi everyone, I'm looking to book an award ticket for the family. This might be a noob question but I can't seem to find a definitive answer following the rules changes.

The flight path for the departure flight is PEK-ICN-LAX-YVR, which is the routing BOMB gives me when searching for PEK-YVR.
in the last leg, although I find space on Award Nexus, but can't quite pull it off on BOMB (only economy is showing on BOMB).

My question is, how difficult would it be to book the ticket first (with the last leg in economy) and call United to have that leg adjusted to business?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.