Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:55 am

Quick question about awards:
Is it allowed to transit in a second region when your travel originates and ends in the same region? For example travelling inside Europe but transiting in the middle east.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:03 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by Kacee
Highest chance of success is probably book KRK-FRA-IAH online and call to add the last segment.

Cancel within 24 hours to avoid charge if it doesn't work.
Good idea!
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:39 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by golfingboy
One more question - ever since UA came up with the new so-claimed more flexible multi-city option I have been noticing some routings despite having availability will not show up in a straightforward search, but if we do multi-city it drives up the price of the award.

For example - Europe to US... Say both ZRH and VIE have availability to IAD. So when doing the search like this:

XXX-PIT - I can only see the ZRH connection option on LX via IAD but if I search XXX-IAD it shows both LX option via ZRH or OS option via VIE.

Why can't I get them to show the VIE option? I can't imagine PIT having a more stringent MPM limits than IAD for EU-US.
So I caved and went with a more simple routing. LIS-FRA-YYZ-PIT flying TAP to FRA then AC the rest. The timing is way better than the ZRH/VIE option and I get back in PIT at a sensible time of the day (before 3pm) and hotel options at FRA are much better than ZRH. TAP's nonstop flight to YYZ works great for those based in YYZ, but terrible for customers like me who needs to connect beyond YYZ.

At least from what I am hearing, AC has really improved their C product in the past few years and aside from fifth freedom flights it seems that they are probably one of the better US-EU carriers in J.

Last edited by golfingboy; Apr 5, 2017 at 9:47 am
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by golfingboy

At least from what I am hearing, AC has really improved their C product in the past few years and aside from fifth freedom flights it seems that they are probably one of the better US-EU carriers in J.
We had a great (at least as great as can be expected) 13-hour flight in an AC 787. Would take one again anytime.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Gold
I hope this is the right thread to post this in. If not, my apologies.

I'm trying to understand the process for using MileagePlus miles on Star Alliance Partners. I can see that some of them are visible via a search through United (for example, there are plenty of ANA IAD->NRT flights available) but many aren't. From doing some basic research, it sounds like you have to go to other airlines to search for their Star Alliance award flights, and that booking them requires a call to United.

I find it easier to work with examples. See the attached Star Alliance award flight I found from IAD->SYD RT with mostly ANA and one Air China leg. Through the ANA site, it's quoting 120k miles plus $323.24. Does that mean I can call United and get them to book that same itinerary for 120k MP miles? Does it vary by airline? Or am I getting it all wrong in terms of how it works? Must I have a certain amount of United legs/miles in order to book through them? Can I book directly through ANA and use MP?

Sorry - I know this is a broad question. It's probably already answered in bits and pieces but I would appreciate a coherent summary of how all of this works. Apologies for my lack of clue.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 5, 2017, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by saltydog75
I hope this is the right thread to post this in. If not, my apologies.

I'm trying to understand the process for using MileagePlus miles on Star Alliance Partners. I can see that some of them are visible via a search through United (for example, there are plenty of ANA IAD->NRT flights available) but many aren't. From doing some basic research, it sounds like you have to go to other airlines to search for their Star Alliance award flights, and that booking them requires a call to United.

I find it easier to work with examples. See the attached Star Alliance award flight I found from IAD->SYD RT with mostly ANA and one Air China leg. Through the ANA site, it's quoting 120k miles plus $323.24. Does that mean I can call United and get them to book that same itinerary for 120k MP miles? Does it vary by airline? Or am I getting it all wrong in terms of how it works? Must I have a certain amount of United legs/miles in order to book through them? Can I book directly through ANA and use MP?

Sorry - I know this is a broad question. It's probably already answered in bits and pieces but I would appreciate a coherent summary of how all of this works. Apologies for my lack of clue.
ANA mileage requirements are nt the same as UA requirements. UA has been pretty good about removing the rules and redemption rates. It also charges more for booking forward cabin space on on its partners than for booking forward cabin space on UA. I'd suggest trying to price this out on the UA site or simply calling and asking a UA representative.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
ANA mileage requirements are nt the same as UA requirements. UA has been pretty good about removing the rules and redemption rates. It also charges more for booking forward cabin space on on its partners than for booking forward cabin space on UA. I'd suggest trying to price this out on the UA site or simply calling and asking a UA representative.
Also, ANA offers more availability to its members than it does to partners (most airlines do, including UA). So, just because an NH flight is available on their website, that doesn't necessarily mean that you can book it with UA miles.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:11 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by 747FC
We had a great (at least as great as can be expected) 13-hour flight in an AC 787. Would take one again anytime.
^ Thank you for the vote of confidence

I am on the 77W so it has the new B/E super diamond seats. I would have probably avoided AC if it is on an A330 or B767 as it has the original coffin style herringbone seats.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
Also, ANA offers more availability to its members than it does to partners (most airlines do, including UA). So, just because an NH flight is available on their website, that doesn't necessarily mean that you can book it with UA miles.
In other words, if you are looking to redeem through UA, your starting point is to search for awards on the United website.

The sole exception is for flights operated by SQ, which are not visible on the United website.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:05 pm

Thanks, all.

I figured out what I was doing wrong. ANA's site does a good job of putting Star Alliance award fares together. United's doesn't. United won't show that itinerary, but I can book the same flights as long as I do it multi-city. So using ANA's site is a good way to discover itineraries.

It's a bit depressing how vast the gap between award cost seems to be. ANA wants 85k miles for an IAD->HKG RT. It's 230k miles via United. Is that difference fairly standard?

Edit: If I book it as two separate one ways, it's down to 160k miles. Narrowing the gap.

Last edited by saltydog75; Apr 5, 2017 at 3:11 pm
Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saltydog75
Thanks, all.

I figured out what I was doing wrong. ANA's site does a good job of putting Star Alliance award fares together. United's doesn't. United won't show that itinerary, but I can book the same flights as long as I do it multi-city. So using ANA's site is a good way to discover itineraries.

It's a bit depressing how vast the gap between award cost seems to be. ANA wants 85k miles for an IAD->HKG RT. It's 230k miles via United. Is that difference fairly standard?
Depends upon the class of service. However, if you're "doing it multi-city," it's probably pricing out each leg independently.

North America to South Asia, roundtrip, using ANA metal from IAD to NRT, and assuming saver availability on any UA segments, should be 80K in coach, 160K in business, and 260K in first.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:37 pm

Yep - just tried an IAD->SIN via NRT RT and it's 160k. I guess the difference is in copay. ANA wants 100k miles and $522.03. United wants 160k miles but only $74.56.

Thanks for the help, everyone. This site is awesome.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:09 pm

Question... if I book an economy saver award and business saver opens at a later date, can I "buy (point) up"?

Thanks!
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by vtbobf
Question... if I book an economy saver award and business saver opens at a later date, can I "buy (point) up"? ....
Yes, maybe.

The "maybe" is because the circumstances of the rest of the ticket might create problems. But a simple single segment award can be "up-cabined."
Old Apr 7, 2017, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This sort of issues have been reported by others in even simple OWs vs RTs. Multi-city is having worse issues.

Generally no but in the thread's link there is a link to a blogger's approach.
I eventually was able to book it by just calling again. Another agent was able to book the ticket for me without any charge.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.