Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Updates to UA MP Multi-City Award Travel & Award Fee Changes (Post Oct 2016){Archive}

Updates to UA MP Multi-City Award Travel & Award Fee Changes (Post Oct 2016){Archive}

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 4, 19, 4:25 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 3, 16, 2:51 pm

Steamlining Fees........I guess that maens charging more faster.
Hugh downgrade for Plat's. It is the reason I kept my Pres Plus Card. As a lifetime Gold there is no longer a reason to spend a bundle on United.
I sent in a complaint and can't wait for the BS canned response.
This along with the Clubs requiring a boarding pass starting in two weeks kills all my incentive. So sad. So new United.
I really miss Continental .........
Old Aug 3, 16, 2:52 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
I've seen far worse cuts. Some of these changes are actually improvements. GMs make out well. Cancelling a ticket became a lot more palatable (except for Plats). Simple changes took a hit though. That sucks.

I guess I won't be too sympathetic for those that lose out on some stopovers. That's a game I wouldn't want to offer anymore if I was the airline.

Overall, it's not a big deal to me. You knew it was coming.
Old Aug 3, 16, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dlman18 View Post
It would be 190k:
Everything is one way tickets now so it's easiest to look at it as one ways rather than a round trip with a stopover.

MCI-RGN 80K (assuming not flying united metal)
RGN-NRT 35k
NRT-MCI 75k (assuming not flying united metal)

The reason why you have to pay for the RGN-NRT is because those two cities are not in the same region (NRT is in japan region, RGN is in south asia region)
Exactly. 30K more miles now. I would probably just buy a cheap discount ticket to get from RGN to NRT instead of using the extra miles. I was able to do 3 award vacation trips involving multi day stopovers in the past. It was good while it lasted. Sigh.
Old Aug 3, 16, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I'm no apologist - I took my business to AA for a few years and am only now just dipping my toes in the water with UA again. As I mentioned upthread this is a deval and it certainly sucks (and will impact me directly and my planned stopover in Asia en route to Australia in 2018 which is off the table since I won't be able to book it in time).

However, after going out and exploring the other options it's sad to say but even with this deval, MP is still better than DL and AA - so there's nowhere else to really go. No stopovers at all on DL/AA, weaker (and smaller) alliances which leads to fewer reward opportunities, higher redemption costs at the saver level (DL), and fuel surcharges ex-Europe for DL (price out a OW for Europe to US on DL vs. UA - the difference is in the hundreds).

I'm not apologist but the sky isn't completely falling on MP (yet). This is just further proof that the best approach is to use flexible currencies for all non-travel mileage earning (UR, TYP, MR, or SPG) and not commit them anywhere until you have a specific booking in mind.
Old Aug 3, 16, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by tods27 View Post
I think that this is a mixed bag for Golds. On the plus side, cancelling award flights will only cost $25 if you are 2 months out and only $60 inside 2 months (down from $100 anytime). On the minus side, inside 2 months you need to pay more for changes and all changes incur a fee. On balance, more downside than upside IMO
I think it's worse for Gold than you've said. Change fees go from 0 at T+21 to $25 at T+61. Change fees go from $25 at T-21 to $75 at T-61 (200% increase). Cancellation fees are less, but flexibility to change is what I valued more. UA has certainly figured out how to punish their Plat and Gold members.

No mention of original reward booking fees or whether they also change from T-21 to T-61.

And the wonderful new multibooking plan seems to have done away with OJs and meaningful stopovers USA-Europe-Asia.

This is the World's Most Rewarding Loyalty Program? After over 50 years of loyalty to CO/UA I'm certainly disappointed that it's not reciprocated.
Old Aug 3, 16, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
New Streamlined fees.....

Just amazed that raising change fee from $0 to $50 for Platinum's like me is called Streamlining Fees. This was my last reason to keep earning United miles and use their awards. I often change in last week as better routings open up. Now it will cost.

Hell of an recognition of over two million miles flown.

You're better than this Oscar.
Old Aug 3, 16, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by villox View Post
That is highly unlikely, at least not without a fee. It would be considered a change to an existing reservation.
Correct. The way I imagine it working:

Book a one-way first
Book another one-way later
Combine them into the same PNR

At that point any change/cancel/redeposit to the reservation would be on a single PNR; so only one fee would apply instead of two.

SL
Old Aug 3, 16, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM 1K; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by RobUAIntl View Post
Just amazed that raising change fee from $0 to $50 for Platinum's like me is called Streamlining Fees. This was my last reason to keep earning United miles and use their awards. I often change in last week as better routings open up. Now it will cost.

Hell of an recognition of over two million miles flown.

You're better than this Oscar.
Yes, this is a major problem for me, as I may only make Plat this year. I've already started booking more on AA and Delta (i.e., whoever gets me where I want to go at the best price as long as the connections aren't too inconvenient). This change will likely accelerate that behavior. I'm not happy.
Old Aug 3, 16, 3:20 pm

This is a BIG loss as well. Right now so long as you don't start from NA you get a free stopover on any ticket even if you stay fully in the region.

It doesn't even have to be a real round trip: BKK-RGN(stopover) RGN-SGN(destination) SGN-SIN. This is no longer the case, that's a big devaluation.
Yep, this was 35k and would now price at 17.5+17.5+17.5 (52.5k).

Of course, for 40k you could do HKG-RGN(stopover) RGN-SGN, SGN-HKG.

So now it costs more to stay in the same region instead of switching regions.

It's just completely insane.

AUS/NZ to South Asia is 35k roundtrip with an extra stopover in Asia.
Japan to South Asia is 45k w/ stopover.
Oceania to South Asia is 45k w/ stopover.
China/Korea to South Asia is 40k w/ stopover.

South Asia to South Asia with a stopover?!!? *BLOWS WHISTLE LOUDLY* That's a penalty! 52,500 miles please.
Old Aug 3, 16, 4:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by artemis021 View Post
What about an ORD-MUC-PRG roundtrip, where there's no direct Prague? Is that now the price of a Europe r/t and and intraEurope flight?

Right now, STL-ORD-MUC-PRG is 60K in E. How much would it be under the new program?

I'm worried this devaluation is even worse than it seems at first glance.
I don't think there's any change for routes with layovers. Layover is not the same as stopover. ORD-MUC-PRG is a ORD-PRG priced ticket, same with STL-ORD-MUC-PRG...that's a STL-PRG ticket. The route wont count against you.
Yes, but...and it is a HUGE "but" to consider...

My read is that if you search "STL-PRG" and it gives you the routing then you're fine. But if it doesn't and you have to search "STL-MUC" + "MUC-PRG" then the MUC-PRG is your "Excursionist Perk" segment, even if the connection in MUC is less than 24 hours. And if you have to break it as STL-ORD + ORD-PRG in the search then you have to pay for the extra positioning segment as you cannot have the EP in the same zone as the origin.

There are a whole lot of ways this change has the potential to screw normal customers, not the folks maximizing/gaming the award chart.

Originally Posted by susiesan View Post
Are you saying this would be 3 awards now, one MCI-RGN one RGN-NRT and one NRT-MCI? That would take a lot more miles than the way it was before 195K vs 160K.
Yes, it would price at the higher rate under the new rules. US-Europe-Asia is even worse in terms of increase with the new MileagePlus rules killing stopovers. That goes from 160->235K in partner biz or 260->355K in F.

Also, new fee structure as shown on my website.
Old Aug 3, 16, 4:12 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
UA Insider Thanks for helping me decide if I should maintain a minimum of Platinum on UA this year . Hello UA Silver and hello free agent for 2017.
Old Aug 3, 16, 4:14 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Yes, but...and it is a HUGE "but" to consider...

My read is that if you search "STL-PRG" and it gives you the routing then you're fine. But if it doesn't and you have to search "STL-MUC" + "MUC-PRG" then the MUC-PRG is your "Excursionist Perk" segment, even if the connection in MUC is less than 24 hours. And if you have to break it as STL-ORD + ORD-PRG in the search then you have to pay for the extra positioning segment as you cannot have the EP in the same zone as the origin.

There are a whole lot of ways this change has the potential to screw normal customers, not the folks maximizing/gaming the award chart.
Great point. I wonder if they will consider any SQ segment to be an EP since they don't appear online or if UA will start letting SQ space show again.
Old Aug 3, 16, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
I was debating doing a vacation/MR at some point later in the year to qualify for platinum in 2017.

I might still go, but I'll just burn miles instead. Thanks for making the decision easy UA!
Old Aug 3, 16, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EP, SPG Plat
So for a ticket booked before 10/6, but with a cabin change post 10/6, would that incur the new fees as it requires a re-ticket for cabin change?
Old Aug 3, 16, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SunLover View Post
Correct. The way I imagine it working:

Book a one-way first
Book another one-way later
Combine them into the same PNR
There is no such thing at "combine into the same PNR." To do that means making a change on the first booking to add the flights for the second, not making two separate bookings and combining them later.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: