Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
My fear is that .bomb will become like delta.com in which you can search multi-city itineraries but each leg will price cumulatively even if your search is just intended to specify a connecting city (for e.g., LAX-FRA on 08/03, FRA-IST on 08/04 currently prices as one one-way award since the stop would be less than 24 hours in FRA. I suspect that will be gone/disabled...).
I've managed to get the equivalent of such itineraries (22 hour overnight connection on international tickets) easily on DL, for both award tickets and regular paid fares, by calling. No problem and no phone booking fees.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by dlman18
Correct or even: USA-Japan, China-Thailand, Japan-USA
or: USA-Japan, China-Thailand, Johannesburg-USA (obviously you'd pay africa-usa mileage rate for the return).

The only real restriction they've placed on the ExPerk is that it has to start and end in the same region and your total ticket must start and end in the same region.

They didn't say if ExPerk needs to have anything else to do with your other flights.
Confused. How would this work for a vacation award trip I took 2 years ago;
flew MCI-SFO on UA-Seoul-RGN on Asiana all the way through.
stayed 2 weeks in Myanmar
flew RGN-NRT on ANA. Had 5 day stopover. Flew NRT-DEN-MCI on UA.
Booked as a round trip award with a stopover in one direction. So now this would be 3 awards? Going to Myanmar one award, return 2 awards if I want to stopover in Japan?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
two or more one-way awards can be combined to form round-trip
what does this mean? can we have a single PNR round trip or not? if we need to make time change on both out- and in-bound, do we get charged change fee twice?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by susiesan
Confused. How would this work for a vacation award trip I took 2 years ago;
flew MCI-SFO on UA-Seoul-RGN on Asiana all the way through.
stayed 2 weeks in Myanmar
flew RGN-NRT on ANA. Had 5 day stopover. Flew NRT-DEN-MCI on UA.
Booked as a round trip award with a stopover in one direction. So now this would be 3 awards? Going to Myanmar one award, return 2 awards if I want to stopover in Japan?
Let's take the layovers out of the equation since they don't matter. You had these flights:
MCI-RGN
RGN-NRT
NRT-MCI

With current rules this is allowed. RGN was your destination, NRT was a stopover on the way home.

With the new rules since the ExPerk segment has to be in the same region and RGN and NRT are not in the same region, this would be ticketed as 3 separate tickets, you would not get RGN-NRT for free

In the below example RGN-BKK would be free since they are in the same region:

MCI-RGN
RGN-BKK
BKK-MCI
Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
two or more one-way awards can be combined to form round-trip
Originally Posted by mingw
what does this mean? can we have a single PNR round trip or not? if we need to make time change on both out- and in-bound, do we get charged change fee twice?
It sounds like if you combine two one-way awards; you would only have one change or re-deposit fee for the total itinerary.

If true this is a benefit for those who book the outbound as a one-way at T-330 to capture that availability, and book the return portion later.

SL
Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by jigri2003
ETA 2: Who the .... came up with this ExPerk name? Confusing, unwelcoming, elitist sounding. What a winner.
And calling it a Perk makes it that much easier to take away in the future...
Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by SunLover
It sounds like if you combine two one-way awards; you would only have one change or re-deposit fee for the total itinerary.

If true this is a benefit for those who book the outbound as a one-way at T-330 to capture that availability, and book the return portion later.

SL
That is highly unlikely, at least not without a fee. It would be considered a change to an existing reservation.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by wcalvert
Also, just had a realization that this kills stopovers when doing a RT within a single region that is non US. You can only do the ExPerk if you are changing regions.
This is a BIG loss as well. Right now so long as you don't start from NA you get a free stopover on any ticket even if you stay fully in the region.

It doesn't even have to be a real round trip: BKK-RGN(stopover) RGN-SGN(destination) SGN-SIN. This is no longer the case, that's a big devaluation.

Last edited by dlman18; Aug 3, 2016 at 2:27 pm Reason: added example
Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Let's take the layovers out of the equation since they don't matter. You had these flights:
MCI-RGN
RGN-NRT
NRT-MCI

With current rules this is allowed. RGN was your destination, NRT was a stopover on the way home.

With the new rules since the ExPerk segment has to be in the same region and RGN and NRT are not in the same region, this would be ticketed as 3 separate tickets, you would not get RGN-NRT for free

In the below example RGN-BKK would be free since they are in the same region:

MCI-RGN
RGN-BKK
BKK-MCI
I had these flights:
MCI-RGN outbound
RGN-MCI return with stopover in Japan while passing through
80K miles each way in J

The confusion is about how many tickets one has. My original trip was ticketed as a RT award. It had 6 tickets in it as there were multiple flights. Seat was in business class and the whole trip took 160K miles.

Are you saying this would be 3 awards now, one MCI-RGN one RGN-NRT and one NRT-MCI? That would take a lot more miles than the way it was before 195K vs 160K.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:35 pm

Agree it's likely you wont be able to hand feed segments to make a one-way. It'll either be you need to accept the options that .bomb gives you for LAX-IST or call and hopefully they'd be able to create any valid routing one-way.
Originally Posted by findark
I doubt this will change, actually, if only because it requires more backend changes than I expect them to be capable of. The pricing engine is the same for all tickets (paid and award) and will always attempt to re-price a ticket (even retroactively) using any search method after another segment is added.
Well that depends on if this is a completely new booking engine or more bandaids on the current engine. I don't see how they can even come close to their stated rules with how the current engine operates. If it's a totally new engine...yikes...there's going to be some pain either way
Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nycityny
The problem is where are you going to go? The grass is always greener and United knows it.
I may not go anywhere, but I may change my behavior. For example, United just killed my motivation to keep the Pres Plus card since I no longer have any reason to be Plat over Gold.

It's also now easier for me to give money to other airlines.

More importantly, they just killed a lot of the good will they'd gotten with the switch to Oscar by making a negative change and calling it an "enhancement".

I mean, really, don't treat me like I'm stupid.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:39 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by SunLover

But that has ALWAYS been the case, you just lost ability to do stopover @:-)

This is a MAJOR downgrade.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:41 pm

I had these flights:
MCI-RGN outbound
80K miles each way in J

The confusion is about how many tickets one has. My original trip was ticketed as a RT award. It had 6 tickets in it as there were multiple flights. Seat was in business class and the whole trip took 160K miles.

Are you saying this would be 3 awards now, one MCI-RGN one RGN-NRT and one NRT-MCI? That would take a lot more miles than the way it was before 195K vs 160K.
It would be 190k:
Everything is one way tickets now so it's easiest to look at it as one ways rather than a round trip with a stopover.

MCI-RGN 80K (assuming not flying united metal)
RGN-NRT 35k
NRT-MCI 75k (assuming not flying united metal)

The reason why you have to pay for the RGN-NRT is because those two cities are not in the same region (NRT is in japan region, RGN is in south asia region)

Last edited by dlman18; Aug 3, 2016 at 2:44 pm Reason: clarification
Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anybody have some Alka Seltzer? Looks like the Munoz party is coming to a close. Lots of downgrades in this new announcement.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: Free Agent
You had 6 segments/flights (not tickets). It was one RT award at 160K, and one ticket.

Under the Oct 6 changes and logic, it would still be the 6 segments/flights assuming those set of flights were options the computer/agent offered when you said you wanted to go MCI-RGN, then RGN-NRT, then NRT-MCI. Supposedly, they would price as 3 one way awards totaling 190K (1 North America-Southeast Asia, 1 Southeast Asia-Japan, 1 Japan-North America). These could be all included in one ticket and PNR, or up to 3 tickets and PNRs with combinations of each origination and destination as you wished.

No more stopovers, just destinations. Layovers at connection points would supposedly be allowed if the computer/agent offers a routing that includes them. And the new "Excursionary Perk" that offers a free one way intra-region award outside your starting region if you are on a roundtrip award with the same starting and ending region. This ExPerk doesn't work for your itinerary as dlman18 indicated because RGN and NRT are in different MileagePlus regions. Of course, that's the theory, the implemented logic could be quite different.

I had these flights:
MCI-RGN outbound
80K miles each way in J

Last edited by jigri2003; Aug 3, 2016 at 2:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.