Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2016, 12:11 pm

Under current policy, Hawaii awards were still allowed a free stopover. For the purpose of mileage redemption, I do hope North America continues to be defined as CONUS+Alaska+Canada in this new scheme.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 12:12 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Platinums lose out here. Whats the diffrence between Plat and Gold now? A few more upgrades?
Zone 1 vs. zone 2 boarding
8 E+ companions vs. 1
3 vs. 2 free checked luggage
10% discount for duty free purchases

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Isn't it amazing how organized and thorough UA is when announcing cuts like this (they have an entire website up and running!) but the program to roll out enhancements - like a free drink or snack for their best customers - is a bloody disaster! Shows what UA really focuses on doesn't it???!
One is managed by computers, which are easily reprogrammable. The other is rolled out by people, who are not easily reprogrammable.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, BA & UA Gold
Gonna convince the other Mr. Enhancements to jump off the UA train after reaching 1MM. The changes to Plat seem awfully punitive.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I am not happy. One of the things I loved was the ability to change international award tickets at the last minute when better routings became available. UGH. Now it will cost me. There's not way I can make 1K being retired.

I keep thinking one more thing and I'm gone.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold, LANPASS Gold, AerolineasPlus Gold
What about booking EZE-SFO-HNL-EZE? Will SFO-HNL be valid for the Excursionist Perk?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
The way I read this now is that I'll have to cough up an additional 10,000 miles/person (X4) to do it this way? 40,000 extra miles for what we used to get for nothing?

...Or, tell me I'm reading it wrong.
The current domestic connection cap is 4 hours, so that's not changing.

Traditionally if the next connecting flight is the following day, the required overnight doesn't count as a stopover. So in your example, no, I would not expect it to price as two separate awards.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by JMRL
What about booking EZE-SFO-HNL-EZE? Will SFO-HNL be valid for the Excursionist Perk?
No: "The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region." SFO and HNL are different regions
Old Aug 3, 2016, 12:45 pm

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Stupid question - are these fees per ticket or per reservation/transaction?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by eagle92
Stupid question - are these fees per ticket or per reservation/transaction?
Per person.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by manneca

I keep thinking one more thing and I'm gone.
The problem is where are you going to go? The grass is always greener and United knows it.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
I'm concerned about the following: Booking a one-way award for LAX-NRT-CGK, with a 2-hour layover at NRT under the current policy this prices out at 80K.

Under the new rules would they treat the two segments individually since I am transiting through two different regions, ie, LAX-NRT (75K) and NRT-CGK (40K)?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gpeso8
I'm concerned about the following: Booking a one-way award for LAX-NRT-CGK, with a 2-hour layover at NRT under the current policy this prices out at 80K.

Under the new rules would they treat the two segments individually since I am transiting through two different regions, ie, LAX-NRT (75K) and NRT-CGK (40K)?
No changes there based on what has been announced, still 80k.

That's not to say they won't make new, opaque changes to the secret routing rules later this year.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by gpeso8

My understanding is that, as long as the system gives you LAX-NRT-CGK as a permissible routing (instead of inputting multi-city LAX-NRT/NRT-CGK separately), it should price at the current 80k level. After October, it will no longer be permissible to force the system to price a single award by feeding a segment-by-segment itinerary.

Married segment logic/journey control rules the day here, unfortunately.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 1:07 pm

Terrible deal for Platinum. Now what is the incentive to fly 25k more PQM and spend $3k more PQD over Gold? A $10-$25 fee reduction? Free change and deposit for award is the only reason that I try to reach Platinum.

The key difference is not just $50 for the change fee within 61 days. Award trips can get tweaked many times free of charge as a Platinum now, but after Oct 6 it will be $50 EACH TIME! The fees add up quickly if you are tweaking a family trip. For changing a family trip of 4 people twice, it will be $50 x 4 x 2 = $400, vs $0 now.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
My fear is that .bomb will become like delta.com in which you can search multi-city itineraries but each leg will price cumulatively even if your search is just intended to specify a connecting city (for e.g., LAX-FRA on 08/03, FRA-IST on 08/04 currently prices as one one-way award since the stop would be less than 24 hours in FRA. I suspect that will be gone/disabled...).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.