Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold
Can one change the dates on existing reservations?

I have this one booked, all in J:

I want to change the dates only, and the agent told me that the new rate is 145K. Didn't try to HUCA yet.

Is this pile for real?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tonykline1947

<snip>

I want to change the dates only, and the agent told me that the new rate is 145K. Didn't try to HUCA yet.

Is this pile for real?
Probably, since UA's search engine ain't gonna spit that out for AKL-IAH.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by tonykline1947

Is this pile for real?
Well, what United's FAQ says is

What if I need to change my existing award (and stopover) on or after October 6, 2016?

The fare rules for the ticket you purchased will apply. Any changes to the first flight will require a reissue of the ticket and new pricing may apply and the stopover will be lost if the first flight is changed.

What if I make multiple changes to my ticket?

The fare rules for the ticket you purchased will apply. Any changes to the first flight will require a reissue of the ticket and new pricing may apply.
During the last huge devaluation (when partner award prices went up by 2x or more), it was possible to change every sector of a trip and keep the old pricing.

However, in this case, United has not promised that you can make wholesale changes to a ticket, other than *suggesting* in an indirect fashion that if you make changes to the first sector, they *may* choose to refare at the new extortionately higher prices.

I guess I will share here that I booked the following pair of one-way trips before the October catastrophe:

* BOS-ORD-TPE-SIN-PER in UA 738 F, BR 77W J, BR 77W J (Hello Kitty plane!), SQ 330 J - priced at 80k RDM as a partner J award USA-Oz

* PER-SIN-NRT/HND-GMP/ICN-JFK in SQ 772 J, NH 77W F, NH 789 J, OZ 380 F - priced at 130k RDM as a partner F award Oz-USA; includes connections 18.5hr overnight in Tokyo and 23.5hr overnight in Seoul.

The first journey originally cost 80k but I'm expecting that if I change dates it will reprice to at least 110k because of the SQ add-on (that's assuming an agent can find the BOS-ORD-TPE-SIN solution).

The second journey originally cost 130k but I'm expecting that if I change dates it will reprice to at least 240k because I'm pretty sure that each segment will have to be priced individually.

I'm not expecting to be able to reprice my itins (with just date changes - same flight #s) onto any other dates at the same price. Thanks, United; it's been a fun few years, see you later.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
I know staring at a camera with a voice being piped in via a mic in the ear can be disconcerting, but I would have liked a little bit more engaging, dynamic delivery of how screwed up UA's latest devaluation is.
Live TV is a tough thing...cut me some slack! I had a lot more to say, but it was a short interview.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Live TV is a tough thing...cut me some slack! I had a lot more to say, but it was a short interview.
lol.. I know... and I do appreciate the good effort and certainly appreciate your advocacy! I've done it a few times too. First time I stuttered so much that they cut away early in the interview.

Good job! ^
Old Oct 13, 2016, 10:09 pm

I just booked an award ticket for August 2017 in coach. San Diego-Copenhagen-Gdnask returning Munich to San Diego. Booked the award on 10/11 so its under the new UA policy.

There is some business class award space that opened up and the dates and routing for the outbound to europe are different. Return dates will also be different.

Is it my understanding that there will be a $75 charge per ticket to change to this new award routing?

The additional booking fees are actually ~$75 less with the new award booking(albeit 80,000 more miles) Does that get refunded?

First award booking on United.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by thinthin
Wondering what's wrong here:

ORD-PVG X
HGH-TPE X
TPE-ORD I

It should be 35K+80K =115K miles which qualifies Excursionist Perk

However, United.com charges 35K+15k+80k = 130K.

Am I missing something?

Thanks
Is HGH and TPE in the same zone as defined by United? After reading the text, the Excursionist Perk must be in the same zone.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gachen
Is HGH and TPE in the same zone as defined by United? After reading the text, the Excursionist Perk must be in the same zone.
That was my first thought, but, yes, they are. China and Taiwan are both in North Asia.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 3:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
I had a lot more to say, but it was a short interview.
That is TYPICAL of Fox News (and most others): once it becomes interesting, they CUT YOU OFF!

I was actually quite impressed by the interview -both the interviewer and interviewee- and found it much better than expected, after having read some comment up-thread).

Kudos! ^

Conclusion:
And I now only have fond memories of last year's trip from NZ to USA, stopping over in both Osaka and Hokkaido with my son. I guess that will never happen again, at least not on those amount of miles.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
You did quite fine! Thanks for going on TV to tell everyone about this.

Lessons learned for the future: make SURE that the 3 key points that you want to make are made. These TV anchors have to keep moving to the next topic so will cut you off, no matter who you are.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by sapguy
You did quite fine! Thanks for going on TV to tell everyone about this.

Lessons learned for the future: make SURE that the 3 key points that you want to make are made. These TV anchors have to keep moving to the next topic so will cut you off, no matter who you are.
Sadly, every topic of any import gets appx. 90sec of "in-depth" discussion on cable "news" channels. One of many reasons I cancelled my cable TV subscription a few years ago. I mean, they only have 24hrs per day to fill.....
Old Oct 14, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by akcae
Sadly, every topic of any import gets appx. 90sec of "in-depth" discussion on cable "news" channels. One of many reasons I cancelled my cable TV subscription a few years ago. I mean, they only have 24hrs per day to fill.....
To be frank, the amount of time that MatthewLAX was given for his interview was more than sufficient
Old Oct 14, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
You did a good job in the interview. ^^
Old Oct 14, 2016, 5:20 pm

It also seems that UA ran into some "technical issues" (as quoted from MPSC) today and they're unable to issue award travel tickets. They have suggested to come back tomorrow.

Nice "upgrade", United....

Edit: just found out UA had a systemwide crash, guess that's probably why....

Last edited by eamond; Oct 14, 2016 at 9:26 pm
Old Oct 14, 2016, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
So with the Excursionist Perk change they've changed the "free one way" from being origin-somewhere in the same zone to being anywhere-somewhere in the same zone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.