Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Updates to UA MP Multi-City Award Travel & Award Fee Changes (Post Oct 2016){Archive}

Updates to UA MP Multi-City Award Travel & Award Fee Changes (Post Oct 2016){Archive}

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 4, 19, 4:25 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 12, 16, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
They killed the free stopover in Japan when headed anywhere else in Asia, because Japan is its own region.
Yes, I noticed that as well. It seems like all the good international stopovers are dead.

All you can still do that adds some value is to add on a free trip in the us. It works for other regions as well, but you'll get more value of a NYC>LAX trip than a LON>PRG trip.
Old Oct 12, 16, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA EP, SPG Plat
Can anyone confirm if the new "no changes/bookings within 24 hours of the flight" rule is actually in effect? Looking to book some close in F if possible.
Old Oct 12, 16, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by frudd38 View Post
Can anyone confirm if the new "no changes/bookings within 24 hours of the flight" rule is actually in effect? Looking to book some close in F if possible.
seems to be still possible judging by united.com
Old Oct 12, 16, 9:57 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Last weekend (after Oct 6), I booked an Y Standard (Saver wasn't available) and upgraded to F 45 minutes before a flight. Agent checked me in and I was good to go (I was already at the airport).

(Don't know if that's what you meant in your post.)
Old Oct 12, 16, 10:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
What "rule" are you referring to?

It's been published for quite some time that partner awards can't be changed within 24 hours of departure, but that has never been enforced.
Old Oct 12, 16, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA EP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
What "rule" are you referring to?

It's been published for quite some time that partner awards can't be changed within 24 hours of departure, but that has never been enforced.
Thanks I missed that as the bloggers were highlighting this as new. In light of the rest of the new changes, now wondering if it'll be enforced.
Old Oct 13, 16, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Further Devalue of MP?

What is this horrible interview all about?

http://video.foxnews.com/v/516861150...#sp=show-clips
Old Oct 13, 16, 2:34 pm

Is that MatthewLAX being interviewed?

edit: must be

Last edited by fumje; Oct 13, 16 at 3:00 pm
Old Oct 13, 16, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton View Post
If you price the whole thing in X or I does the ExPerk come up as 0 miles? I've been having issues with the perk when it comes to mixed itineraries so far.
Unfortunately no...

Still charging 35K+15K+35K instead of 35K+0K+35K...
Old Oct 13, 16, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM 1K; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Not sure if anyone's posted this link:

http://upgrd.com/matthew/united-awar...trictions.html

Fascinating read regarding workarounds to beat the system, as well as some inside dope on how UA's agents feel about the new system.
Old Oct 13, 16, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold
Maybe now that this devaluation has gotten more bad publicity for UA they will take a look at what they did and switch it back. The more people who know about this and who complain to UA the better.
Old Oct 13, 16, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
Not sure if anyone's posted this link:

http://upgrd.com/matthew/united-awar...trictions.html

Fascinating read regarding workarounds to beat the system, as well as some inside dope on how UA's agents feel about the new system.
He himself did, up-thread.
Old Oct 13, 16, 3:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
What is this horrible interview all about?

http://video.foxnews.com/v/516861150...#sp=show-clips
Not sure I follow. What's "horrible" about it in your view?

It was self-evident to me what it was "all about"; it was intended to introduce the issue to laypeople.
Old Oct 13, 16, 5:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hotels.com Gold, Pizza Hut Rewards Supreme
Wife and I are booked IAD-LAX-OGG and return OGG-ORD-DCA in just under 60 days on saver awards, but not ideal times of day.

I can't seem to find the right page on UA's site, so I'll ask here: under the new fee schedule, if a better-timed routing for the same origins/destinations on the same dates were to open up, what fee(s), if any, would apply to a General member 21-60 days out? I take it this is no redeposit as it's the same origin/destination, same names, same dates, and would just be a (hypothetical, at this point) routing change.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Oct 13, 16, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
I know staring at a camera with a voice being piped in via a mic in the ear can be disconcerting, but I would have liked a little bit more engaging, dynamic delivery of how screwed up UA's latest devaluation is.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: