Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2016, 4:43 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Welcome to FT!, future75k

incorrect -- status at time of change is what matters.

Pre Oct 6 rules will apply to pre Oct 6 bookings. UA will offer the lower of pre and post change fees. Suggest you don't wait and book now. There is no advantage to waiting.

10% short, little chance of a bump -- but a cash offer in January is a possibility. Don't forget the PQD requirement.

PQD isn't an issue. But for your first two answers I'm not sure you understood my situation.

1) I am gold status. I've flown over 75,000 PQM this year, but they haven't posted yet. With just a day left, I don't assume they will. So at the change, I will be gold status. Even though I will eventually get to platinum status as a result solely of miles flown prior to Oct 5th, they won't have posted before the rules change.

2) I don't see how that answers the question. There is nothing in the "post october 6" rules that discusses new bookings, only changes and cancellations.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 4:43 pm

I'm a noob at this: would the following itinerary change if booked after Oct 6?

EWR-SFO(layover)-SYD
MEL-BKK(layover)-HKG
HKG-EWR

simplified:
EWR-SYD-MEL-HKG-EWR

Currently pricing up at 80k
Old Oct 4, 2016, 4:45 pm

Welcome to FT!, future75k

incorrect -- status at time of change is what matters.
Is this documented somewhere? Obviously it makes a big difference to me. Would it be the same for someone who books as a 1K then becomes a gold - all of a sudden they will be assessed fees?

I assumed my status at time of booking under the old rules would be noted.

Pre Oct 6 rules will apply to pre Oct 6 bookings. UA will offer the lower of pre and post change fees. Suggest you don't wait and book now. There is no advantage to waiting.
Well, the advantage would be that if the old rules grandfather me in at gold status with change fees, vs. being able to just book when i want to with no fees as a platinum (Is this true? There doesn't seem to be anything in the rules post oct 6 about new bookings within 61 or 21 days)

10% short, little chance of a bump -- but a cash offer in January is a possibility. Don't forget the PQD requirement.
Thanks. I'm not worried about PQD - but no desire to strive for a cash offer. flight-based mileage or revenue challenges, fine. Paying cash for status alone is a bit silly to me.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 4, 2016 at 4:55 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 4, 2016, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by wche
I'm a noob at this: would the following itinerary change if booked after Oct 6?

EWR-SFO(layover)-SYD
MEL-BKK(layover)-HKG
HKG-EWR

simplified:
EWR-SYD-MEL-HKG-EWR

Currently pricing up at 80k
Yes, assuming HKG is a stopover. You will be charged an additional 17.5k miles (MEL-HKG award) for a total of 97.5k miles.

Originally Posted by future75k
Would it be the same for someone who books as a 1K then becomes a gold - all of a sudden they will be assessed fees?

I assumed my status at time of booking under the old rules would be noted.
Yes, if booked as a 1K and you drop to gold, the old reservation now carries award change fees. There's nowhere in the record where it says what status you were when you booked the ticket.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 5:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Is this documented somewhere? Obviously it makes a big difference to me. Would it be the same for someone who books as a 1K then becomes a gold - all of a sudden they will be assessed fees? ...
Fees based on status at time of change has been the rule for years. It is documented in the award fees rules.
... I assumed my status at time of booking under the old rules would be noted. ...
it is not and if you fall in status you pay higher fees.

Well, the advantage would be that if the old rules grandfather me in at gold status with change fees, vs. being able to just book when i want to with no fees as a platinum (Is this true? There doesn't seem to be anything in the rules post oct 6 about new bookings within 61 or 21 days) .....
You status will be back dated once the partner segments post.
The rules are status at time of change and rules based on time of purchase.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA PLAT FPC PLAT
Just spoke to United rep and they said the Plats should flood their Feedback page to get the new fee reversed!
Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:35 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by MLM JET
Just spoke to United rep and they said the Plats should flood their Feedback page to get the new fee reversed!
Don't tell me that; I've finally accepted my life as a future Gold!
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Plat here.

Just blew through all my miles booking multiple itineraries to multiple possible destinations, including some decent J saver awards to Europe, and even EWR-SFO BF! Also got a J saver award on the non-stop AC 787 flight EWR-YVR. 14,000 miles left. No idea how many of these flights I'll actually take. I'm disgusted that I felt compelled to do this because of a change in the middle of a program year, not to mention that I've now taken saver award space from others who might actually know they want to travel on one of those dates.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 5:37 pm

So will platinum's still be able to BOOK NEW award travel without fee after october 6th? I don't see where this has been answered

The new fare rules don't seem to address new bookings, just changes and cancellations?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
So will platinum's still be able to BOOK NEW award travel without fee after october 6th? I don't see where this has been answered

The new fare rules don't seem to address new bookings, just changes and cancellations?
Sounds like you've answered your own question.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 5:52 pm

Not really, because it says the "old fare rules" only apply to booking on or before October 5th.

As such, the guidance for new bookings after october 5th seems unclear
Old Oct 5, 2016, 6:02 pm

Fees based on status at time of change has been the rule for years. It is documented in the award fees rules.

The rules are status at time of change and rules based on time of purchase.
I don't see where this is documented, perhaps you could highlight it?

Here: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/default.aspx

I see:" After an award ticket is issued, a service charge may be imposed for each change requested by the member that necessitates the reissuance of the ticket. See award ticket fee chart for applicable fees. "

Following that link provides only this text:

"Fee level is based on the MileagePlus status of the member whose miles were used to book the award." Without any specific mention of whether it is the status level at time of booking, or time of change - but a general reference to the time of booking the award which doesn't make any more confident it is not that status that counts.

I know you are just trying to help, but I'm not going to risk hundreds of thousands of miles without any actual evidence from United to suggest they won't be wasted. If that has been the rule for years, then surely it must be documented somewhere?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
There is never a fee for booking an award, except if calling in or a close-in fee. To be fair, I haven't seen anything about the close-in fee changes.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
There is never a fee for booking an award, except if calling in or a close-in fee. To be fair, I haven't seen anything about the close-in fee changes.
Right, but the "Close-in" timeline used to be 21 days. They've now increased that timeline for changes and re-credits to 61 days in the new fee structure and added a fee to platinum members that used to have no fee for any of those things plus new bookings.

As the new fee structure makes no specific mention of close in new bookings, one would assume that either A) They follow the new change fee structure, whereby Platinums get screwed again or B) There will no longer be a close-in charge for any members on a new booking or C) the existing close-in fee structure remains - separate fees and a separate timeline than anything else. Which would be completed un-streamlined and make the new fees no more streamlined than the old ones.

Considering the whole thing is designed for them to make more money, I have a hard time believing it won't end up being A.

But if it is A, then I probably won't be booking any more award flights with United, so hopefully its not.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Clearly it's C.
None of this has anything to do with close-in fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.