Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
Any indication on whether there is a close-in booking fee for new award flights?
Not expressly stated. Given that the current booking fees are based on a 21 day close in booking model (vs. 60 for the new change fees), I wonder if that's the next change coming.

Originally Posted by wcalvert
Do they think we are idiots?
That is the basic premise of modern marketing.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Not expressly stated. Given that the current booking fees are based on a 21 day close in booking model (vs. 60 for the new change fees), I wonder if that's the next change coming.

That is the basic premise of modern marketing.
I was wondering about the close-in fees as well.
50$ for plats will not be so much fun. However, its not terrible if one splurges on an LH-F award T-14days.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
More obnoxious, anti-passenger behavior by United. I guess they thought people were "over entitled" again.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by dlman18
I don't think there's any change for routes with layovers. Layover is not the same as stopover. ORD-MUC-PRG is a ORD-PRG priced ticket, same with STL-ORD-MUC-PRG...that's a STL-PRG ticket. The route wont count against you.
Here's why I am worried. They don't seem to differentiate between layover and stopovers now:

How is the new Excursionist Perk different from the current stopover policy?

The Excursionist Perk is not defined by time, while the stopover policy is. For international itineraries, a break in the journey over 24 hours is considered a stopover; for domestic, the break must be over four hours. Additionally, the stopover policy is based on fare rules with region and routing restrictions that some customers found confusing.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
No one has asked the most important question about these booking and award fee changes.....

How would they fit with dynamic award pricing? In other words, is this a move that paves the way for dynamic award pricing in 2017? @:-)
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:43 am

This is definitely another devaluation, but at least the way I read the new rules OJ shouldn't be affected..and in one small case may be improved from current rules:

DEN-CDG-ORD allowable now and with new rules

DEN-LHR, CDG-ORD allowable now and with new rules

DEN-LHR(stopover)-CDG-ORD allowable now and with new rules

DEN-LHR(stopover)-CDG, FRA-ORD This is the questionable one, but according to what they've said, the "free one-way" must have the same origin and destination region. If you look at the above ticket as 3 one ways: DEN-LHR, LHR-CDG, FRA-ORD clearly LHR-CDG is in the same region

Using that logic: DEN-LHR, CDG-FRA, FCO-ORD should also be allowed with CDG-FRA being the free leg. This is actually BETTER than what is currently possible with an award ticket as this would be 3 open-jaws (you can't currently have an open jaws on your stopover)

There's of course a lot of negative in not being able to have a stopover in a third region and only being able to have a stopover at all if the first leg departs from the same region the last leg arrives in.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Using that logic: DEN-LHR, CDG-FRA, FCO-ORD should also be allowed with CDG-FRA being the free leg. This is actually BETTER than what is currently possible with an award ticket as this would be 3 open-jaws (you can't currently have an open jaws on your stopover)

There's of course a lot of negative in not being able to have a stopover in a third region and only being able to have a stopover at all if the first leg departs from the same region the last leg arrives in.
I believe this is correct, but it doesn't really make up for the loss of stopovers in different regions.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
ESPECIALLY the way UA defines regions within Asia...
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by ft4lyf
Sad day for Platinums.
(which is where I will end this year).
Yes, It is a SAD DAY for Platinums I wonder if they would claw back the redeposit fee for Platinums. Seems like its a major perk being lost and for $50 it seems petty not to provide that benefit.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
This is definitely another devaluation, but at least the way I read the new rules OJ shouldn't be affected..and in one small case may be improved from current rules:

DEN-CDG-ORD allowable now and with new rules

DEN-LHR, CDG-ORD allowable now and with new rules

DEN-LHR(stopover)-CDG-ORD allowable now and with new rules

DEN-LHR(stopover)-CDG, FRA-ORD This is the questionable one, but according to what they've said, the "free one-way" must have the same origin and destination region. If you look at the above ticket as 3 one ways: DEN-LHR, LHR-CDG, FRA-ORD clearly LHR-CDG is in the same region

As with all things UA the devil is in the details and more specifically in their ability to get .bomb/computer (when calling in) to actually support their stated rules / policies
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by artemis021
Here's why I am worried. They don't seem to differentiate between layover and stopovers now:

How is the new Excursionist Perk different from the current stopover policy?

The Excursionist Perk is not defined by time, while the stopover policy is. For international itineraries, a break in the journey over 24 hours is considered a stopover; for domestic, the break must be over four hours. Additionally, the stopover policy is based on fare rules with region and routing restrictions that some customers found confusing.
I see what you're saying and agree it's not 100% clear from their website, but I still find it unlikely that they will start charging for each segment. That would be an insane devaluation if true, so I'm just hoping it's not :-P

The Excursionist Perk is still a change from current stopover policy.
1. There is now no question of which region is actually the stopover vs the destination so pricing the award is easier. It's simply 3 one-ways with the leg that stays in the same region being no cost.
2. If you have a 25 hour layover technically that wouldn't be a stopover so long as it's meets other routing rules.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG+Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite
I see what you're saying and agree it's not 100% clear from their website, but I still find it unlikely that they will start charging for each segment. That would be an insane devaluation if true, so I'm just hoping it's not :-P

The Excursionist Perk is still a change from current stopover policy.
1. There is now no question of which region is actually the stopover vs the destination so pricing the award is easier. It's simply 3 one-ways with the leg that stays in the same region being no cost.
2. If you have a 25 hour layover technically that wouldn't be a stopover so long as it's meets other routing rules.
Sorry for noob Q: Is a layover <24h at same airport vs stopover being two different airports >24h?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
As with all things UA the devil is in the details and more specifically in their ability to get .bomb/computer (when calling in) to actually support their stated rules / policies
Agreed. Technically:

DEN-LHR, BKK-HKG, JNB-ORD meets their rules as well (with BKK-HKG being the free leg)

"Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates." DEN and ORD are same region

"The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region." BKK and HKG are in the same region south asia...

It'll be interesting to see what the new .bomb will allow
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by rockyb
Sorry for noob Q: Is a layover <24h at same airport vs stopover being two different airports >24h?
Under the current rules:
Layover is <24 hour connection typically as the same airport (there are exceptions in cities with two airports like NRT and HND where you may actually change airports in that 24 hours)

Stopover is any connection that's > 24 hours, current rules are you are not allowed an open-jaw so you must depart same airport (if you come in NRT you could depart NRT or HND but not KIX for example)

Last edited by dlman18; Aug 3, 2016 at 11:18 am Reason: fixed stopover explanation as open-jaws are not allowed on stopovers currently
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:06 am

HEre is my question. Does it say anywhere that the Free excursionist thing needs to eb in the middle of a trip? from this quote fromt he website I dont see anything.

The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:

The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.
Therefore would this work: EWR-LHR-EWR cdg-fra(free)

EDIT: NVM realized i Missed one tha said travel Must end where it originates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.