Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by RobUAIntl
What's the email address to write Oscar?
Chief Executive
Oscar Munoz
Chief executive officer
233 S. Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL 60606
(847) 700-4000
[email protected]
Old Aug 4, 2016, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by be001
One final question. If I have a stash of united miles, can we now speculatively book travel with stop overs/change fees in the current structure? Like book them all in economy class, and then change them and change them and change them until we finally use them (of course change to a higher class last second as well)? Can you just change them for years? This way we I can lock in the sweet rules United has now?
I'm in the same boat, and my understanding (someone else, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) is that this is true if you book before Oct 5th. I was already planning to burn most of my miles on a business TPAC award sometime next spring, thinking I might go ahead and book it soon for that exact reason.

Also, I just noticed that the website says the new fees are for EACH traveler, ugh. I'm very new to the mileage game (just really got into it this year) and was actually impressed when I learned the award policy a few months ago (that even as a lowly Silver, I could rebook award travel dates more than 21 days out free of charge). I should've known that wouldn't last.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 1:48 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
So how would the award change fees affect me as a Gold in this situation....

I'm currently booked BOS-EWR-SFO in saver Y on November 28th and waitlisted for saver Y on the 6pm nonstop BOS-SFO as well for the same day

If the waitlist clears after the new changes go into effect in October, would that be considered a change with the new change fee applying as it's going to be within 60 days or is it simply a waitlist clearing with removing the BOS-EWR-SFO segments and replacing it with BOS-SFO?

I see this on the website and I'm already booked and ticketed but I'm still confused

These changes are effective for all awards booked on or after October 6, 2016.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Being able to change or cancel reward tickets without fees has been a big perk for me. This is a sad one to lose as a plat.

I've been toying with the idea of pushing for 1k this year, and now it seems more important than ever, but that is balanced with being a little tired of UA's devaluation and wanting to take my money elsewhere.

But hey, I'm in Houston, not like I'm going to start connecting in Dallas or Atlanta just to stick it to UA.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
You would think the world was ending. All in all, it might add some inconvenience and cost for those who were taking heavy advantage of the "free" benefits, but for the vast majority of us (not platinum), the changes won't mean much.

I do think that the idea of going to another airline where they have better award benefits is kind of a joke, as United tends to follow others in the devaluations, and it's doubtful you'll find greener pastures.

At this point regardless of the devaluation, I generally see much better availability on United than the other major carriers. I've booked a few nice international trips in the past, but I've never used the stopover option, so no big deal there for me.

My biggest question is for mixed cabin tickets. I have a trip booked for September that started with global first on the international segments, but coach on the domestic. These were waitlisted for first, and eventually were changed. Would this kind of change be considered a change incurring a fee?
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Sequel to MM "enhancement"

This is the second act to the "enhancement" of legacy UA benefits. A few years ago we experienced the removal of benefits from Premier Exec and 1MM. Now the impact is on PP. I experienced the unexpected slap in the face back then having just crossed the MM mark expecting the Prem Exec treatment and we know what happened there.

Now the next act in the smack down to loyal flyers without mega resources for unlimited travel spend is at hand.

I am somewhat relieved to have shifted my flying for this year to OLA. Now I must reconsider my FF program.

Good job United. Thanks for nothing.

V/r,

-Cyborg
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by flybit
same here I am 75k away from 2MM and now this. UGH Platinum is really no better than GOLD!
MileagePlus Premi​er Platinum members and higher enjoy advance complimentary access to Economy Plus for themselves and up to eight companions,

Gold is only 1 additional.

This matters to some folks.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:49 pm

Just wrote an email to Oscar. I think every platinum should express disappointment in being targeted with new fees. If enough feedback, they might, just might change
Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:23 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
The new fees change actually makes one thing less clear --

In the old chart (you can see both now side by side here, https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ticketing.aspx ):
there are categories for:

-- Fee to book award travel
-- Fee to change award travel
-- Fee to re-credit miles for award travel or a MileagePlus Upgrade Award

And in the new table, it only has to do with "making a change <x> days prior to original travel date".

So does this mean that a Platinum could simply cancel a ticket still with no fee and recredit, instead of changing it for a fee?

Last edited by TA; Aug 4, 2016 at 4:41 pm
Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
Clearly OT, and while there may have been or is a tiny, tiny subset of members using that benefit, I've heard that the policy change was also to address club usage by commuting employees, pass riders and airport standby pilots/FAs.
How would this impact commuting employees and pass riders? Presumably, if they are commuting or traveling on a pass, they likely have a standby boarding pass. And then, the only legal way to get into the club would be to have a membership, which many employees do, or be a guest of a member.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TA
The new fees change actually makes one thing less clear --

In the old chart (you can see both now side by side here, https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ticketing.aspx
there are categories for:

-- Fee to book award travel
-- Fee to change award travel
-- Fee to re-credit miles for award travel or a MileagePlus Upgrade Award

And in the new table, it only has to do with "making a change <x> days prior to original travel date".

So does this mean that a Platinum could simply cancel a ticket still with no fee and recredit, instead of changing it for a fee?
Your link doesn't work, goes to a message that says don't have permission to view. If I click on the link in the email UA sent, it says the fee is to change or cancel with redeposit.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 4, 2016 at 5:50 pm Reason: repaired link
Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:42 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Baze
Your link doesn't work, goes to a message that says don't have permission to view. If I click on the link in the email UA sent, it says the fee is to change or cancel with redeposit.
Sorry, fixed the link, I had embedded the link inside the parentheses and it got typo'd. You should be able to see it now.

and if you edit the text link in your post, people will be able to click it and work correctly too.

Last edited by TA; Aug 4, 2016 at 4:53 pm
Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sbm12
But if they reissue the ticket to make the change it is then covered under the new rules.
What makes you think that? Based on my mental model, the behavior after departure of itineraries sounds like a clause in the old award fare rules that "AFTER DEPARTURE, PRICE USING HISTORICAL FARES." So one would be able to make any changes they want after departure using the old fare rules.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TA
Sorry, fixed the link, I had embedded the link inside the parentheses and it got typo'd. You should be able to see it now.
Yes, works now.

Interesting that the chart in you link only mentions changes. But if you click on the link at the top where it takes you to the changes details then select fee structure it says changes or cancel with redeposit. UA being consistently inconsistent yet again. But I would believe it is changes or cancel with redeposit is the correct one
Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:53 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Chief Executive
Oscar Munoz
Chief executive officer
233 S. Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL 60606
(847) 700-4000
[email protected]
Thanks for the email; just sent something to Mr. Munoz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.