Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Updates to UA MP Multi-City Award Travel & Award Fee Changes (Post Oct 2016){Archive}

Updates to UA MP Multi-City Award Travel & Award Fee Changes (Post Oct 2016){Archive}

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 4, 19, 4:25 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 22, 17, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kymiller View Post
Why can't I get the following itinerary to book?

SFO to AKL Feb 11
SYD to MEL Feb 20 (open jaw / excursionist perk)
MEL to SFO Feb 20

Thought this was within the rules but I get an error when I try to book the above using multi city...
Likely because there are no *A partners that fly between SYD and MEL according to the routing rules. Doing a dummy booking doesn't appear to be allowing me to transit New Zealand while on a SYD-MEL award.
Old Dec 22, 17, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton View Post
Likely because there are no *A partners that fly between SYD and MEL according to the routing rules. Doing a dummy booking doesn't appear to be allowing me to transit New Zealand while on a SYD-MEL award.
I believe that Australia and New Zealand have a full open skies agreement, so Iím somewhat surprised that you canít find SYD-AKL-MEL on an award ticket. Having said that, considering that the OP was asking about a same-day transfer, I donít think SYD-AKL-MEL-LAX-SFO was the intended route. :-)

So, yes, I think the root of the problem is the lack of MileagePlus redemption partners in Australia. UA can sell you that itinerary for cash, because they can sell a seat on Qantas or Jetstar. But they canít sell that ticket with miles, because neither of those airlines are MileagePlus partners.
Old Dec 22, 17, 11:56 am

Yes I think the answer to this question is "can you find SYD-MEL one-way award on any date?" If the answer is no, you certainly aren't going to find it as a leg of a multi-city / excursionist perk.

The good news is that a cash fare on that route is $38.
Old Dec 22, 17, 1:19 pm

Thanks everybody is right there is no SYD to MEL award tickets available. I thought because they were selling cash tickets this would be available but clearly its not.
Old Dec 26, 17, 8:51 am

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I have two options 3 options to choose from and am looking for some advice. Which route would you go with? We have never flown either LX or SAS

Option 1:
AUS-ORD-ZRH-FCO
- 7 hour layover in ORD (may leave to meet some buddies for lunch), 7 hour layover in ZRH (can go see the city)
- LX 777-300
- Allows us to hold out hope for LH First class
- Can change AUS - ORD to leave a 3 hour layover, but eliminates LH First class as an option
- Currently lands 7:15 PM but earlier flight may open up eliminating city visit of ZRH but landing at 2:15 PM
- ZRH - FCO is 1.5 hours

Option 2:
AUS-ORD-CPH- FCO
- 5 hour layover in ORD, 3 hour in CPH
- SAS A340-300
- Lands in FCO at 7:00 PM
- CPH - FCO is 2.5 hours

Option 3
AUS-ORD-ARN-FCO
- SAS A330-300
- 4 hour layover in ORD, 2.5 hours in ARN
- Lands in FCO is 6:10 PM
- ARN - FCO is 3:10 Hours

With the Polaris lounge the long layovers in ORD aren't an issue for us.
Old Dec 26, 17, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by NDtraveler View Post
I have two options 3 options to choose from and am looking for some advice. Which route would you go with? We have never flown either LX or SAS
[...]
With the Polaris lounge the long layovers in ORD aren't an issue for us.
The two things that matter for me most eastbound TATL are block time (> 8 hours, so I can sleep -- I hate the AAA-EWR-LHR-BBB itins), and a departure as late as possible in the day (I can never fall asleep on the 2pm departures, and my body wants to fall asleep just as I'm landing). I don't know what time you typically go to sleep, but with my cycle I'd choose the CPH flight with a 10pm departure. Eat dinner in the lounge and plan to be alseep by 10:30 at 10,000 feet, or eat on board and fall asleep around midnight Chicago time.

That said, the 8pm departures aren't so bad and all those flights have >8hr block time, so if the other connection times, airline, or opportunity to check out the city are appealing to you I think they're all reasonable.

The Polaris lounge closes at 9pm but that's just about perfect to head to your gate to board for the 10pm departure.
Old Dec 26, 17, 7:51 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks Threeoh!

I agree that sleeps matter. This is why I nixed the EWR and DUB connections. I wasn't sure if seat quality, lounge access, or intra Europe flight quality pushed an option above another. With that in mind, is one option superior to the to other? I do think LH first class wins out over other options, especially with 3 hours in the FCT.

Thanks!
Old Dec 26, 17, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by NDtraveler View Post
Thanks Threeoh!

I agree that sleeps matter. This is why I nixed the EWR and DUB connections. I wasn't sure if seat quality, lounge access, or intra Europe flight quality pushed an option above another. With that in mind, is one option superior to the to other? I do think LH first class wins out over other options, especially with 3 hours in the FCT.

Thanks!
I think your third option is strictly worse than the second one - similar timing but a longer trip in Eurobiz. I like the timing and routing of your LX option better, but SK has a nicer J product unless you luck into an LX throne (and even then it might be better). I would rule that a tossup based on your preference for convenience and less time in Eurobiz (actually I think SK is all Y), versus a superior overwater experience.
Old Dec 30, 17, 12:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Have archive the pre-2018 posts here, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...lems-help.html

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 4, 19 at 12:24 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: