Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Old May 18, 2017, 3:23 pm

Is this a legal routing?

Is the following a legal routing on an award ticket?

YYZ-EWR-LAX-MEL (I know this is legal) outbound

SYD-LAX-SFO (stopover) SFO-EWR, then a 3 hr airport transfer to LGA-IAD-YYZ.
Old May 18, 2017, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eric.chen3742
Is the following a legal routing on an award ticket?

YYZ-EWR-LAX-MEL (I know this is legal) outbound

SYD-LAX-SFO (stopover) SFO-EWR, then a 3 hr airport transfer to LGA-IAD-YYZ.
Is it legal? Most likely; I'm not sure if the routing rules for a SFO-YYZ award include two transfers, but they probably do.
Is it advisable? I wouldn't try a 3-hour cross-town transfer in NYC personally, but that's up to you.

However -- and I suspect this is what you're really asking -- can you get it for the same price as a single Canada-Australia roundtrip? No. This doesn't qualify for the excursionist perk, because the standalone segment (SFO -> YYZ) is in the same region as the start and end of travel.

This would have priced out favorably under the old "free stopover" system, but that ended last October. (Edit: if this is a change to a pre-October ticket, you might be able to get it to price by calling).

Last edited by jsloan; May 18, 2017 at 3:31 pm Reason: Added pre-October caveat
Old May 18, 2017, 3:52 pm

I know that this excursionist perk isn't as good as the old stopover rules and I will pay extra, but the segment giving me the most trouble is SFO-YYZ via EWR/LGA and IAD. The GS agent is telling me I can't do a transfer in New York City from one airport to another. Should I HUCA or is this agent right? Frankly if I miss the flight at LGA I'm not concerned. There's lots of flights between the 2 cities and it's a relatively short hop.
Old May 18, 2017, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eric.chen3742
I know that this excursionist perk isn't as good as the old stopover rules and I will pay extra, but the segment giving me the most trouble is SFO-YYZ via EWR/LGA and IAD. The GS agent is telling me I can't do a transfer in New York City from one airport to another. Should I HUCA or is this agent right? Frankly if I miss the flight at LGA I'm not concerned. There's lots of flights between the 2 cities and it's a relatively short hop.
The agent is incorrect, but I can't currently prove it. Here's the relevant information from the fare rules for a SFO-YYZ award:

FARE BY RULE TEXT UNLIMITED TRANSFERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT FARE BREAK AND EMBEDDED SURFACE SECTORS NOT PERMITTED ON THE FARE COMPONENT.
THE CITY PAIRS BELOW ARE CONSIDERED THE SAME POINT- FLL-MIA LAX-ONT LAX-SNA LAX-LGB BUR-LAX ONT-SNA LGB-ONT BUR-ONT LGB-SNA BUR-SNA BUR-LGB EWR-NYC EWR-LGA OAK-SFO SFO-SMF OAK-SJC SJC-SMF OAK-SMF HRL-MFE EWR-ISP ISP-NYC HDN-SBS BRO-HRL BRO-MFE HOU-IAH BWI-WAS EFD-HOU EFD-IAH EWR-JFK ISP-JFK JFK-NYC SFO-SJC
EWR-LGA is not considered an "embedded surface sector" because they "are considered the same point." So, for the purposes of the fare rules, your itinerary is SFO-NYC-IAD-YYZ.

Now, with their newer system, UA seems to be going to a "the rules are whatever the computer says they are" policy, which is sad -- especially so for a GS. But I can't find anything in the fare rules that disallow that routing. The actual routing rules, whatever they are, aren't published. I suppose it's possible that it doesn't like connecting in NYC before WAS, but I can't prove that one way or the other.
Old May 18, 2017, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
The agent is incorrect, but I can't currently prove it. Here's the relevant information from the fare rules for a SFO-YYZ award:

EWR-LGA is not considered an "embedded surface sector" because they "are considered the same point." So, for the purposes of the fare rules, your itinerary is SFO-NYC-IAD-YYZ.

Now, with their newer system, UA seems to be going to a "the rules are whatever the computer says they are" policy, which is sad -- especially so for a GS. But I can't find anything in the fare rules that disallow that routing. The actual routing rules, whatever they are, aren't published. I suppose it's possible that it doesn't like connecting in NYC before WAS, but I can't prove that one way or the other.
HUCA'd and it went all the way up to a GS support desk supervisor who told me that this couldn't be combined because it's one 12.5k segment + 10k segment which I had to pay for separately. That's what the computer said and that's all that he's willing to do. Disappointed but whatever, it's a 80 mile drive and I'll live. ��
Old May 18, 2017, 7:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
There have been quite a few reports that the system sometimes does not treat the NYC airports as co-terminals for purposes of award routing.

Although curiously I will sometimes be offered an "airport change" itinerary from EWR-JFK when searching for TATL awards, i.e., SFO-EWR/JFK-FRA.

Go figure.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
There have been quite a few reports that the system sometimes does not treat the NYC airports as co-terminals for purposes of award routing.

Although curiously I will sometimes be offered an "airport change" itinerary from EWR-JFK when searching for TATL awards, i.e., SFO-EWR/JFK-FRA.

Go figure.
Indeed, I can't figure it. :-( Today I could get IAD/DCA transfers but it didn't want to show EWR-JFK or EWR-LGA. I've definitely seen the EWR-JFK transfer come up on TATL, as you say. And, of course, NRT/HND transfers are almost de rigueur.

Eric -- sorry to hear that the GS desk seems bound by the same ridiculous award restrictions that UA has foisted on everyone else in the ExPerk era. Ceding control to the computer is bad customer service for a general member, but it's unfathomable for GS. :-(
Old May 22, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ga8riel
Hi all,

I'm trying to put together an excursionist perk trip with UA. I had the brilliant idea of actually booking two trips (each with 3 flights) and instead of flying all 3 flights in trip #1 and then flying all of trip #2 , I figured I could alternate between flight 1 trip 1, flight 1 trip 2, flight 2 trip 2 and so on...

I did this because of the rules UA has towards this perk. In order to get the 2nd flight of the 3 flights free, one must obey the following:
-the second flight from/to must occur in same region
-the third flight must end where the first flight started

I included my example below– I know it may sound a little complicated. my question is: does United require me to complete all of trip #1 before I start trip #2 ? I dont see why not, afterall, I will be attending all flights. They'll just be in alternate itineraries.

Thanks for all your help!

This should work without having to complete all of trip 1. It's actually a really good idea in order to take advantage of the ExPerk rule.

Similarly I've booked:

I think this is a pretty good value overall.

One more important point: Despite my success with booking SQ awards using the old system, you cannot have any SQ awards when taking advantage of the ExPerk, simply because they do not show up in the 'new' system which allows the perk.
Old May 23, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: UA, Latam, Delta, AA
Great to hear; thanks for the feedback

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
This should work without having to complete all of trip 1. It's actually a really good idea in order to take advantage of the ExPerk rule.

Similarly I've booked:

I think this is a pretty good value overall.

One more important point: Despite my success with booking SQ awards using the old system, you cannot have any SQ awards when taking advantage of the ExPerk, simply because they do not show up in the 'new' system which allows the perk.
Old May 24, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: OZ *G
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I've managed to book a SQ award again using my own routing without much fuss or pricing as two separate awards.

Had to call it in, definitely the codeword is "old system" in order to get things to price. But assuming you have one SQ segment, you HAVE to use the old system, and anything that was legal in the old system seems to still be ok routing-wise.

It IS possible.
Thanks for the tip! I was also able to book a similar itinerary with 2 SQ segments. However, it took more than an hour on the phone as the agent had to manually price it. I also managed to get the $25 phone booking fee waived by saying that the itinerary wasn't bookable online.
Old May 24, 2017, 9:59 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
So here is something frustrating. I am trying to book SFO-HND.
I entered SFO-HND and a plethora of options come up. One of them that comes up is an itinerary all on LH in J. However in other searches I had seen there was F space on FRA-HND, but the multi-cabin option didn't show up in the search.

This morning I called and tried to get the FRA-HND and reprice the award and after 25 minutes on the phone the agent was unable to do it, even though she saw the O space on FRA-HND.

Of course if i use the multi-city option with SFO-FRA/FRA-HND the O space shows up on United.com but at a higher cost.

Last edited by kluau88; May 24, 2017 at 10:07 pm
Old May 25, 2017, 1:08 am

I was trying to book an award ticket (EWR-RNO) a few days out and wanted to avoid the $75 fee. In the past, booking a ticket for more than 21 days out and then changing it to be the correct date worked and avoided the $75 fee; however when I tried it the system charged me the $75 close-in booking fee. I'm guessing something changed on United's system. Does anyone know of a way to avoid the fee?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:30 pm

Is it possible to get a United agent to book me a certain routing if it's only available on one specific date, and I want it on a different date? I would be booking it on the wrong date and then having them change it to the correct date.

There is availability on the date I want but the only way I can pull it up online is by doing multi-city, and then it becomes twice the mileage.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:25 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by mjstallion
Is it possible to get a United agent to book me a certain routing if it's only available on one specific date, and I want it on a different date? I would be booking it on the wrong date and then having them change it to the correct date.

There is availability on the date I want but the only way I can pull it up online is by doing multi-city, and then it becomes twice the mileage.
This community is consistently reporting that UA agents cannot book anything differently than what you see online. This is a major change from pre-October 2016.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 6:41 pm
Community Director Emerita

If you want to make a change to an existing award booking, start with the web support desk.

I booked SAN-SFO-IST-yyy yesterday with a 6 hour connection in SFO. Today, a later SAN-SFO flight became available. The first agent worked diligently, but with SFO-IST-yyy no longer available, she could not make the change. I was forwarded to the web support team. That agent knew exactly how to hold the space manually for the flights I already booked and rebooked SAN-SFO. It wasn't fast, but she got it done without losing the key flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.