Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 12:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by Evident
If the website isn't built to handle the backend of a simple change on an itinerary, then it's pretty much worthless and that option shouldn't be made available to customers.
I agree and that's why I never try and make any changes of any kind online. I now always make changes to a booking by phone (I'm 2MM).

I've learnt this lesson through many painful episodes.
Old May 8, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I'm finding the United website calendar showing days with premium saver award availability next March (LAX-LHR) but when I click on the date, it only shows standard awards available.

Am I doing something wrong?

Please point me to the right spot if this was discussed elsewhere.

Thanks in advance!
Old May 8, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by beachfan
I'm finding the United website calendar showing days with premium saver award availability next March (LAX-LHR) but when I click on the date, it only shows standard awards available.

Thanks in advance!
It's not you, it's United.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE

Thanks in advance!
A few days ago, I searched inventory SFO-LHR from now through the end of the published calendar. There were only five dates with I availability, and four were on AC. The only I on UA was for a date in mid-May. Absolutely no O space.
Old May 8, 2017, 11:05 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Thanks in advance!
Other than a false indication, always a possibility, there is
-- premium saver indicator is the sum of both business or 3-class F availability -- could be either.
-- the page is sorted based on travel (?) time, click on the Business saver column header to sort the lowest mileage options (note again it may be only 3-class F saver)

for March 2018, non-elite, LAX-LHR, I only see premium for the 25th and 31st on the calendar. And doing the above saver business show both days.
Logging in, the 7th shows elite availability (XN+I).
Old May 8, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Thanks! that sort worked.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:07 pm

Change to award possible?

Hi all,

I have an very complex UA partner award on a variety of carriers. I want to change the routing of a single leg. Is that something I can do without needing to rebook/ticket the whole thing? Its all so perfect but this one leg, and ill never get it back the way it was....
Old May 8, 2017, 3:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by danielm
I have an very complex UA partner award on a variety of carriers. I want to change the routing of a single leg. Is that something I can do without needing to rebook/ticket the whole thing? Its all so perfect but this one leg, and ill never get it back the way it was....
First, do not try online. Just don't.

Second, while possible, that there is a good chance you will be told no. Don't push it. Given the new system if the desired complete itin is not available for new booking, it will usually not be possible. Push the agent too hard could lead to messing up things (and this was also true in the old system).
Old May 9, 2017, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
First, do not try online. Just don't.

Second, while possible, that there is a good chance you will be told no. Don't push it. Given the new system if the desired complete itin is not available for new booking, it will usually not be possible. Push the agent too hard could lead to messing up things (and this was also true in the old system).
Thanks for the response and for putting this where it belongs. I guess I'll just re-deposit and try it all again.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by danielm
Thanks for the response and for putting this where it belongs. I guess I'll just re-deposit and try it all again.
i had run into a similar situation where I wanted to change one leg of a 3 leg award flight, but once that middle more-desirable leg appeared, there was no availability on the other legs. I decided to leave it alone until all 3 legs had my required availability. If you see availability, go ahead and try your luck. If not, be cautious about losing the availability on all legs after you redeposit your miles.
Old May 10, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Trying to book IAH-MUC-VCE in Business. Both legs are available in Saver Business. The combined itinerary is pricing at 70K miles. I thought that it is supposed to be 57,500 despite the fact that MUC-VCE is on Air Dolomiti (essentially Lufthansa). Anyone else experience this? I am not doing a multi-city search - just putting in IAH-VCE... Thanks.
Old May 10, 2017, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vdostoi1
Trying to book IAH-MUC-VCE in Business. Both legs are available in Saver Business. The combined itinerary is pricing at 70K miles. I thought that it is supposed to be 57,500 despite the fact that MUC-VCE is on Air Dolomiti (essentially Lufthansa). Anyone else experience this? I am not doing a multi-city search - just putting in IAH-VCE... Thanks.
I do see the same behavior, and I agree that it's incorrect. It seems to be limited to Air Dolomiti; itineraries that use other airlines in Europe price properly. I'm guessing that there's a misconfiguration in the pricing engine.

I'd call, point out that the price on the website is incorrect, and ask to be ticketed for the proper number of miles.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:16 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
I do see the same behavior, and I agree that it's incorrect. It seems to be limited to Air Dolomiti; itineraries that use other airlines in Europe price properly. I'm guessing that there's a misconfiguration in the pricing engine.

I'd call, point out that the price on the website is incorrect, and ask to be ticketed for the proper number of miles.
I figured this had something to do with Air Dolomiti being the carrier. Glad I am not the only one. Thanks for responding.
Old May 11, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
Originally Posted by kingkewl
Sorry if this has been asked and answered. I am currently waiting for my flight using the Excursionist Perk. I am flying Brussels Airlines from CDG to BRU. They said my economy award ticket from United doesn't include checked baggage. Does the Excursionist Perk flight include baggage? I ended up paying 35 euro baggage fee and I'm wondering if I can get United to reimburse me.
should be included

austrian baggage allowance ua award
Old May 11, 2017, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
i had run into a similar situation where I wanted to change one leg of a 3 leg award flight, but once that middle more-desirable leg appeared, there was no availability on the other legs. I decided to leave it alone until all 3 legs had my required availability. If you see availability, go ahead and try your luck. If not, be cautious about losing the availability on all legs after you redeposit your miles.
So I decided it was worth the risks. As it turned out, there were no problems at all though the earlier legs were definitely no longer available. After two fairly useless call-ins to the regular intnl line I called the web desk and got a fantastic agent who put it all the way I wanted it without messing up anything that was as I wanted it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.