Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Updates to UA MP Multi-City Award Travel & Award Fee Changes (Post Oct 2016){Archive}

Updates to UA MP Multi-City Award Travel & Award Fee Changes (Post Oct 2016){Archive}

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 4, 19, 4:25 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 3, 16, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
There is no such thing at "combine into the same PNR." To do that means making a change on the first booking to add the flights for the second, not making two separate bookings and combining them later.
They are just using the words UA Insider used in bullet 1 of the first post of this thread. 2 one ways can be combined into one itinerary.
Old Aug 3, 16, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by miniliq View Post

No mention of original reward booking fees or whether they also change from T-21 to T-61.
"These changes are effective for all awards booked on or after October 6, 2016."

If first ticketed before Oct6 your under the old system, if first ticketed on or after 6th your under the new system

However...
"the ticket cannot be preserved if the first coupon is changed" which means if you change the first flight it means a re-issue and then your under the new rules for all change after that

IMHO downgrade on all fronts and I remain unimpressed

I sense that this is going to cause a rush of MP purchases and award bookings over the next 6 weeks
Old Aug 3, 16, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Baze View Post
They are just using the words UA Insider used in bullet 1 of the first post of this thread. 2 one ways can be combined into one itinerary.
Book one one-way, book second, etc, in same session, ticket. One PNR.

UA is not letting you book one one-way, ticket, then come back and book another, and then combine. That's 2 PNRs.

If I read it right. But I'm often wrong.
Old Aug 3, 16, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
I cant work out if the fee for "Booking a MileagePlus award ticket through any channel, less than 21 days before departure" is going away, changing or staying though...
Old Aug 3, 16, 4:32 pm

Wrote MileagePlus a note to express my disappointment on this change, beginning with "I am so disappointed...". Got a response like this:

We sincerely appreciate you for taking the time to share your positive thoughts with us. Your comments have been forwarded to our management team to recognize the representative for the wonderful customer service you received. We always welcome your feedback at http://unitedairtime.com

We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 4, 16 at 5:15 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Aug 3, 16, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Thumbs down No reason to try to stay platinum

Originally Posted by RobUAIntl View Post
Just amazed that raising change fee from $0 to $50 for Platinum's like me is called Streamlining Fees. This was my last reason to keep earning United miles and use their awards.
+1
Rarely upgraded; get to watch 1Ks get free drinks and snacks around me. The use of award tickets without a fee was really all that was left. I may end up 1K for next year but I will hit MM in Sept so lifetime gold will be good enough. No more extra trips to maintain status. I'll be buying business on whatever airline is cheapest - and it's always my own money.
Old Aug 3, 16, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by jasonp622 View Post
Well Platinums best benefit is now gone. Nice work

Yup.

Since I'm only one flight away from Gold status this year, I've just lost any motivation to fly united the rest of the year.

The fact that they use wording all over the page that says "We're doing this to streamline the process" instead of "We're doing this to screw you" only makes it worse. I'd rather they just be up front about it instead of somehow trying to spin it to make it sound like tripling the close-in booking timeline and adding fees across the board somehow benefits us.

Screw You United. Of all the changes you've ever made, this one pisses me off the most. You suck for this and this is the first change you've made that impacts my desire to fly with you. Now I have no reason to shoot for platinum status whatsoever.
Old Aug 3, 16, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
Just got the email...kind of sucks. Loaded on Novacaine right now so didn't read all the details, but the award booking thing kinda sucks - seems to negate the ability to do closer changes, which is a pretty good benefit.

I do wish UA would just say they are changing the program instead of trying to market it as an enhancement. That word is toxic after Smisek's abuse of it.
Old Aug 3, 16, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by mherdeg View Post

But I am a little upset to see them position this change as a positive change for travelers. If you're going to behave oligopolistically and use your strong market position to cut services because you can, you should at least have the guts to admit that what you're doing is a bad thing.

I just wish someone would tell the truth and say -- yes, we're making it worse. We know we're making it worse.
Exactly. The fact that they are trying to screw platinum members is a business decision. The fact that in doing so, they are actually so callus as to try to spin it as an enhancement is personal. The are trying to slide something horrible under the rug and spin it as a positive. They are turning to deceptive tactics now and its pitiful and makes me want to specifically fly someone else out of spite for the deceit opposed to just picking the least-bad carrier because they are all reducing benefits.
Old Aug 3, 16, 4:52 pm

There is currently no change fee with at least 21 days out and no change in origin and destination, so that we can try for better routing. Under the new fee structure, any change will be subject to a fee, even with no change to origin and destination?
Old Aug 3, 16, 4:55 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sfvoyage View Post
There is currently no change fee with at least 21 days out and no change in origin and destination, so that we can try for better routing.
or fish for LH F seats . The T-14 change game just got expensive.
Old Aug 3, 16, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by sfvoyage View Post
There is currently no change fee with at least 21 days out and no change in origin and destination, so that we can try for better routing. Under the new fee structure, any change will be subject to a fee, even with no change to origin and destination?
It's "Streamlined"

which means more opportunities to take money from you
Old Aug 3, 16, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by c2cflyer View Post

Screw You United. Of all the changes you've ever made, this one pisses me off the most. You suck for this and this is the first change you've made that impacts my desire to fly with you. Now I have no reason to shoot for platinum status whatsoever.
This. You've just eliminated my desire to do a MR for Plat. When I could justify with all the money I was saving in change fees, and as a result significantly improved ability to get the best possible award ticket, Platinum was worth it. Now it is worth much less to me. Zone 1 boarding and bringing my family in E+ -- great. Upgrades I rarely get? Sorry, my motivation is gone.

On top of that, to make this change in the middle of the year, I actually appreciate -- now I know that going for Platinum isn't worth it for me. Thanks United.
Old Aug 3, 16, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver View Post
+1
Rarely upgraded; get to watch 1Ks get free drinks and snacks around me. The use of award tickets without a fee was really all that was left. I may end up 1K for next year but I will hit MM in Sept so lifetime gold will be good enough. No more extra trips to maintain status. I'll be buying business on whatever airline is cheapest - and it's always my own money.
I've said for a while now that Platinum doesn't really provide many benefits over Gold. I was 1K/Plat for several years, dropped to Gold the last couple and haven't missed a whole lot.

Off topic, but I never really understand why someone would take "extra trips" for years and then when they finally reach that lifetime status say they'll fly whoever they want now. For me, when I am flying less, it will be incentive for me to choose UA over others where I don't have status. But to each his own. I certainly understand that reaction to another negative change.

Originally Posted by c2cflyer View Post
Exactly. The fact that they are trying to screw platinum members is a business decision. The fact that in doing so, they are actually so callus as to try to spin it as an enhancement is personal. The are trying to slide something horrible under the rug and spin it as a positive. They are turning to deceptive tactics now and its pitiful and makes me want to specifically fly someone else out of spite for the deceit opposed to just picking the least-bad carrier because they are all reducing benefits.
Yeah, as others have said too, this is what really bothers me. I thought we were done with that crap. I rarely book award flights, so this doesn't impact me much, but it was the spin that bothered me when I read it. The gall to call a fee increase a benefit and state that members have been asking for it is unbelievable to me. Sure, they probably asked for some simplification, but not to raise everyone's fees!

They don't have to paint it as negative either. Just state they're making changes that they feel are more in line with the rest of the industry and point out the changes. No need to make it positive or negative. More than anything, UA really needs a new marketing department. Announcements like this and slogans like "flier friendly" (in the middle of some of their most unfriendly years ever) just make the company appear dishonest and untrustworthy.
Old Aug 3, 16, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Ag, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Spire, Hyatt Glob, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
Just got the email...kind of sucks. Loaded on Novacaine right now so didn't read all the details, but the award booking thing kinda sucks - seems to negate the ability to do closer changes, which is a pretty good benefit.

I do wish UA would just say they are changing the program instead of trying to market it as an enhancement. That word is toxic after Smisek's abuse of it.
Did you happen to be on Nocavaine when you got the e-mail, or do you shoot up in between receiving an e-mail from Mileage Plus with the word "Enhancement" in the subject line and opening it?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: