Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reduction in mainline coach service for shorter flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE

I fly DEN-ABQ-DEN on a frequent basis, but this Tuesday only water was offered in coach. Didn't think too much of it, thinking the crew was expecting turbulence or something.

But I flew home this morning, same deal, except juice or water was offered. I asked for a coffee and was told no.

Is this the new norm for shorter domestic flights?
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Same thing on IAD - RDU last week. That being said the FAs did state they'd try and accommodate any special requests though I only wanted water so can't say whether they actually followed through or not.

This was a mainline 737 that was maybe 1/3 full in coach (there were maybe 10 total in E+ and only 1 other person in either exit row).
Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Hope it's just some lazy crews or weather that wasn't properly announced. I can see that on IAD-RDU, especially when it's full or near it. But DEN-ABQ is ridiculous. There's plenty of time to fully serve a full flight.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by minnyfly
Hope it's just some lazy crews or weather that wasn't properly announced. I can see that on IAD-RDU, especially when it's full or near it. But DEN-ABQ is ridiculous. There's plenty of time to fully serve a full flight.
Not sure what the policy is, but recent trips (even two weeks ago) had at least 1 round of normal drink service. I'll go back to picking UX flights between DEN-ABQ if mainline flights continue with this lack of service.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:05 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Isn't it amazing that on some other non-US airlines, they manage to do a full drink service, plus sandwich, on a flight of even 1 hour?
Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by TA
Isn't it amazing that on some other non-US airlines, they manage to do a full drink service, plus sandwich, on a flight of even 1 hour?
Yup, used to take a 50 minute flight on TAM frequently on a Fokker 100. Hot sandwich + full drink service..
Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Lazy crews aside, I am grateful to actually see mainline on short flights (like DEN-ABQ) again.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:30 pm

I flew on DL on two 40 minute A320 flights and "due to the short duration, there is no service." Note, these flights were blocked at 1 hr 8 min, although actual flying time is 40-45 min. No turbulence on either flight, yet not even water is provided. F/As said they would only respond to special requests. At least UA is making an effort to provide you with something.

Last edited by sltlyamusd; Jul 30, 2016 at 5:37 pm
Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I flew YYZ-ORD this week, and the crew was not too happy with another crew member on the ORD-YYZ. I heard them say, the seatbelt sign was off and it was very very light turbulence but "she was too lazy" to work. They were complaining about the other FA in the first class galley, fairly loud.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EWR764
Lazy crews aside, I am grateful to actually see mainline on short flights (like DEN-ABQ) again.
Agree, which is why I try to book the mainline flights to and from ABQ. Just odd that two different crews did this. At least the second crew offered OJ, but neither would give coffee.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 2:07 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I flew YYZ-ORD this week, and the crew was not too happy with another crew member on the ORD-YYZ. I heard them say, the seatbelt sign was off and it was very very light turbulence but "she was too lazy" to work. They were complaining about the other FA in the first class galley, fairly loud.
Why do airlines still have no mechanism for crews to provide useful (and actionable, as they say) feedback more frequently on their colleagues to improve services?
Old Jul 29, 2016, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by TA
Why do airlines still have no mechanism for crews to provide useful (and actionable, as they say) feedback more frequently on their colleagues to improve services?
Union.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Not sure what the policy is, but recent trips (even two weeks ago) had at least 1 round of normal drink service. I'll go back to picking UX flights between DEN-ABQ if mainline flights continue with this lack of service.
A free cup of coke (value maybe 0.50-0.75 USD), isn't the main reason for picking a mainline flight over UX. The mainline flights out of DEN can be more reliable and/or less likely to be cancelled.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
It can vary.

I get that if it's a short flight, and it's turbulent out there preventing the crew from doing a service, that's ok. But when it seems like lazy crews, that's an issue.

Most of my flights start or end with CVG-ORD or vv. There's been maybe twice where it's turbulent and good reason why a drink service wasn't done. But a couple of times several years ago, particularly on the late night flights when operated by Trans States, they just didn't bother doing a drink service. What bothers me is when they do the 'due to the short duration of this flight' announcement. I know it's short, but that doesn't mean it can't be done, considering when mainline served CVG (and coming back in the fall), I never saw a flight without a full drink service.

But even on some of the UAX flight these days, they don't even do the snack. Usually, I don't really care that much. But a few weeks ago, we were delayed 2 and a half hours - understandable because of the ground stop at ORD. Ok - that happens. FA came through with a water-only service. When I asked about a snack (since, like a good pax, I didn't leave the gate area in case the whether cleared and we boarded early), she had looked at me like she had no idea what I was referring to, and that she never served them. It also bugs me because it is supposed to be part of the basic service. Then on a return a couple of weeks later, they didn't do a snack service and did a water/Oj only in coach on YYZ-ORD (first time I've never seen a full drink service on that route, and I have flown it several times a year for about the last 10 years). Then on the connecting back to CVG, again, water-only, and I think no snack again if I remember correctly.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
I flew on DL on two 40 minute A320 flights and there was no service. Not even a glass of water. No turbulence on either flight. F/As said they would only respond to special requests. At least UA is making an effort to provide you with something.
Delta threshold is 250 mils.

It is 254 advertised miles from CHS to ATL, so they have to start service, but unless it is clear and they can start as soon as we takeoff, even on a MD88, they rarely finish all of economy

Back to United:

I am planning my next trip and this is biting me in the butt BIG TIME

There is NO, zero, none, zilch, nada first class service from CHS <-> IAH, everything is E145. I assume because it is over their threshold for when they would have to provide a meal if they used a real plane instead of the wright brothers special.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.