Is United considering more hub closures?

Old Aug 4, 2016, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fragment54
I really hope they reduce IAH so we can get some competition going in this joint. IAH has been taken for granted by UA since the beginning of time and their pouting about Southwest getting some trivial international routes hasn't done enough to wake them up.
IAH is already down 180k seats this August compared to last. With oil at 40, expect further cuts.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 11:48 am

Location: Now:AUS (again); Previous: LGA/EWR (BLKYN, missing JFK), AUS, SAT
Programs: Current: UA-Silver, Former AA Plat, DL Silver
Originally Posted by seenitall
Again, for all of you who think UA could shut down IAD as a hub and just have everyone connect through EWR -- IT CAN'T HAPPEN. EWR doesn't have the physical capacity to accept more than a sliver of IAD's UA Pax. If UA dehubs IAD, it will only be with the expectation that UA intends to shrink greatly the total size of the airline.
Same thing goes for LAX and SFO. United is literally out of space to put planes between about 12pm-5pm at SFO. They're they couldn't add more flights there if they wanted to — much less anything the size of the current LAX operation, even in its diminished state.

The parking and gate shortage is why you see all these screwball 7pm-ish flights eastbound even though they land at like 1-2am in the morning.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ndhapple
Same thing goes for LAX and SFO. United is literally out of space to put planes between about 12pm-5pm at SFO. They're they couldn't add more flights there if they wanted to — much less anything the size of the current LAX operation, even in its diminished state.

The parking and gate shortage is why you see all these screwball 7pm-ish flights eastbound even though they land at like 1-2am in the morning.
I like those screwball evening flights eastbound. Much preferable to a red-eye overnight, and quite restful with a real bed in the Marriott EWR (or similar around IAD).
Old Aug 4, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof
I like those screwball evening flights eastbound. Much preferable to a red-eye overnight, and quite restful with a real bed in the Marriott EWR (or similar around IAD).
I think the screwball flights leave more like 4:30 or 5 oclock. A 7 pm flight out of SFO would get you in at 2 or 3am and I like them too. Sleeping in my own bed beats a red-eye any day.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 1:19 pm

Location: Now:AUS (again); Previous: LGA/EWR (BLKYN, missing JFK), AUS, SAT
Programs: Current: UA-Silver, Former AA Plat, DL Silver
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
I think the screwball flights leave more like 4:30 or 5 oclock. A 7 pm flight out of SFO would get you in at 2 or 3am and I like them too. Sleeping in my own bed beats a red-eye any day.
I'm typically doing it coming back to Austin, so the 7pm flight lands about 1:30 a.m. and you're just dead the next day. They're better than the "red eye" SFO-Texas flights, which aren't long enough to get any real sleep, but not by much. I'd kill for a 5pm departure, but that's never gonna happen unless UA manages to get some gates at SFO.

Worth noting, SFO's is looking at an airside T2/T3 connector in its plan to redo Terminal 3. Maybe that means UA could get some T2 gates when AA moves to T1 in the next several years? Maybe? http://www.sfoconstruction.com/viewD...umber=10071.66
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
I've noticed when comparing fares with DL to the south east, that UA is offering IAD routings more and more often. For a few years it was almost exclusively EWR, IIRC. I realize the above is anecdotal, but why would UA close a hub where there is little competition, room to grow, decent N/S connectivity, etc.?

As an aside, I have enjoyed the 1530ish SFO -> EWR flight. Good excuse to call it early in the day and get a nice lunch in SFO. That way, if the meal onboard is meh, can just put the foot rest up and enjoy some vino...
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ndhapple
Worth noting, SFO's is looking at an airside T2/T3 connector in its plan to redo Terminal 3. Maybe that means UA could get some T2 gates when AA moves to T1 in the next several years? Maybe? http://www.sfoconstruction.com/viewD...umber=10071.66
While anything is possible, I doubt that UA will gain space in T-2; AS will likely want to consolidate with its new airline VX in T-2.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.