FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Flight delays into Newark? [26 July 2016] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1780759-flight-delays-into-newark-26-july-2016-a.html)

Flying Kiwi Jul 26, 2016 10:57 am

Flight delays into Newark? [26 July 2016]

I'm stuck in SFO where we have three United flights to EWR all being repeatedly rescheduled - whoops, the earliest one, originally scheduled for 7:30 am, has now been cancelled. United says equipment issues on all three, but that doesn't appear to make sense. It looks like a lot of other flights into EWR have been delayed or canceled, too. Does anybody know what's really going on?

CPRich Jul 26, 2016 11:12 am

No general departure or arrival delays have been posted at fly.faa.gov.

7:30/8:30/9 are delayed/cancelled but 7:05a (577), 8:00a (233), 10:10a (994) are on-time, so it doesn't look to be systemic.

Non-NonRev Jul 26, 2016 11:15 am

Your thread title is missing the date.

Expert Flyer shows UA flights 2040 and 1961 cancelled, but three other UA flights as having taken off and currently en route. A VX flight is also en route.

JY1024 Jul 26, 2016 11:42 am

As the question seems to be more about United vs. Newark airport, we'll move this over to the UA forum for now. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator

milepig Jul 26, 2016 11:48 am

2040 shows as due to "severe weather disturbances in our route network" and the app doesn't show the "where is the aircraft coming from" info. 1961 shows a mechanical and also shows no coming from information.

Other flights are showing the where it's coming from info in the app. I know this isn't showing on the main site for anything, but is still showing in the app for other flights. I wonder if UA has now disabled this feature when flights are cancelled. Or maybe it was always that way??

EWR764 Jul 26, 2016 11:55 am

A number of flights to/from EWR yesterday evening, including p.s flights, were canceled, diverted or significantly delayed due to about 4 hours of severe thunderstorm activity in and around the NY/NJ area. I would bet this resulted in a lot of airplanes and crews out of position, and early morning operations today are downline disruptions from yesterday's weather.

Flying Kiwi Jul 26, 2016 11:59 am

Yes, some of the other flights have left so I guess it's just bad luck that several SFO-EWR flights are experiencing delays or cancellations.

clubord Jul 26, 2016 11:59 am

Sitting at EWR now. The storms that came through yesterday evening were really intense. Haven't seen that much lightning from weather here in NJ in a long, long time.

Right now its a bit windy but nothing out of the ordinary.

TJtv Jul 26, 2016 12:06 pm

The storms last night were pretty insane. Lots of downed trees and power outages. EWR must have been a total nightmare last night and probably continuing into this morning.

mduell Jul 26, 2016 12:06 pm

Living up to it's reputation as the worst hub in the system. Today's stats for on-time (14 minute standard) arrivals by origin/destination:

Code:

carrier | origin |  a14 
---------+--------+-------
 UAL    | KLAX  | 93.3%
 UAL    | KDEN  | 92.6%
 UAL    | KORD  | 84.7%
 UAL    | KSFO  | 84.2%
 UAL    | KIAD  | 83.3%
 UAL    | KIAH  | 83.0%
 UAL    | KEWR  | 75.4%

Code:

carrier | destination |  a14 
---------+-------------+-------
 UAL    | KDEN        | 94.0%
 UAL    | KORD        | 93.2%
 UAL    | KIAD        | 92.9%
 UAL    | KIAH        | 91.4%
 UAL    | KSFO        | 88.5%
 UAL    | KLAX        | 80.0%
 UAL    | KEWR        | 60.7%

sardonic Jul 26, 2016 12:35 pm

I was at EWR yesterday

And it was indeed a disaster. Rolling delays and cancels due to thunderstorms from about 3:30pm to 6pm. About 90% of the flights on the board were delayed or canceled, including UA 436 from EWR to SFO (my flight). Not surprised that the network hasn't totally recovered yet.

emcampbe Jul 26, 2016 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 26971292)
Other flights are showing the where it's coming from info in the app. I know this isn't showing on the main site for anything, but is still showing in the app for other flights. I wonder if UA has now disabled this feature when flights are cancelled. Or maybe it was always that way??

Its always been that way. Once a flight is canceled, the app stops showing the aircraft info, and as a result, no where is this aircraft coming from.

REPUBLIC757 Jul 26, 2016 12:50 pm

Damn I had no idea how intense those storms last night were. There was even an SFO-EWR which had "result unknown" and was in the air for 6hrs 23mins. Tons of diversions.

Look at UA 535 yesterday - They flew right into that s*it on the D to EWR. Wouldn't want to be on this flight: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...810Z/KSFO/KEWR

adambrau Jul 26, 2016 12:52 pm

I work at 1WTC on a pretty high floor and the storm yesterday afternoon and evening was really quite the electric show - at least the building didn't sway like it did around 10 days ago. We could see the storm approaching and as someone noted the amount of lightning strikes was unbelievable - sure the ramp was shut down for hours...

TA Jul 26, 2016 1:02 pm

There was this photo from Reddit yesterday with an example:

http://i.imgur.com/0atdfDv.jpg