Wiki Posts
Search

New "Budget Economy" fares

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2016, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Sure they do. Why else would they offer them?
They don't want the typical frequent flyer (ie, is going to fly because the pax has to fly for work and not flying is not an option) to willingly choose to pay a lower fare. Stripping out the features important to freq flyers (ie, ability to choose seat in advance, E+, F upgrades, ability to change ticket, etc) is a way to minimize cannibalization. Same reason that airlines used to require a Sat night stay on most cheap fares -- they got rid of that provision in most markets solely because new entrants not because the legacy carriers wanted to remove it.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by mduell
In another thread someone saw N>0 when a flight was L0 K0 G0; speculation it's some testing for these basic economy fares to use the N bucket.
if i understand this correctly, this wouldn't be too bad. going from N to G is often only a few bucks.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by riphamilton
if i understand this correctly, this wouldn't be too bad. going from N to G is often only a few bucks.
Assuming they match DL (which has been the case completely so far), then the new N fare will be a negative differential fare, so it is always a particular amount less than the lowest (G/K/L etc) fare, usually $15-50.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by riphamilton
Originally Posted by findark
Assuming they match DL (which has been the case completely so far), then the new N fare will be a negative differential fare, so it is always a particular amount less than the lowest (G/K/L etc) fare, usually $15-50.
Is this a discussion about upfaring? As I understand it, these fares are not changeable on DL. Except I guess within 24 hours of ticketing.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
Is this a discussion about upfaring? As I understand it, these fares are not changeable on DL. Except I guess within 24 hours of ticketing.
I was assuming just a discussion about what the price difference will be. DL uses differential faring for E fares (with a negative differential) so the "extra" amount to fly on a normal ticket is predictable. I agree it's doubtful whether you will be able to GG BUYUP from a Basic Economy fare, but it can be relevant to some of us what the difference is at booking when it comes to expense reports, etc.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:07 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by findark
DL uses differential faring for E fares (with a negative differential) so the "extra" amount to fly on a normal ticket is predictable. I agree it's doubtful whether you will be able to GG BUYUP from a Basic Economy fare, but it can be relevant to some of us what the difference is at booking when it comes to expense reports, etc.
For Delta, the differential is shown at booking. After the 24-hour cancellation period, there is no refund or ability to up-fare a Delta E fare. This annoys business travelers who are stuck with company-booked flights, and are then prevented from up-faring out of their own pockets.

On my very limited sample of routes where Delta added E fares, they raised the cost of the normal lowest ticket by about $20 and set the price of the E fare equal to the old low fare price.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by username
My concern is if the corporate booking engines will filter those things out. If not (because it picks the lowest fares), then we are in big trouble.
Yep - This is definitely my fear.

Based on our beancounter culture, I'm 100% sure I'll be required to book these fares.

What's interesting is that at least in my case, this will cost United business.

Today I go out of my way to try to steer business towards United. Aside from a smattering of Air Canada bookings, 100% of my travel since January 1st, 2015 has been on United. Once these fares are in place and I'm forced to book them there's no incentive for me to pick United. I'll just book whatever fare is cheapest and convenient - United, Delta, Alaska, whatever...
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Am I understanding correctly that the fare code is "N"? So if the code is other than N I would be OK?
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
Am I understanding correctly that the fare code is "N"? So if the code is other than N I would be OK?
At the moment nothing has been announced, and they don't seem to be selling any N fares. The latter observation along with other statements referenced earlier seems to have prompted this speculation.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:08 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by fumje
At the moment nothing has been announced, and they don't seem to be selling any N fares. The latter observation along with other statements referenced earlier seems to have prompted this speculation.
I have bought a few N fares in the past. Have always been able to upgrade and do SDC.

(ORD-LAS, -LGA IIRC)
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fumje
I do wonder who has a ticket with an N still around - maybe there's a cutoff date so that we know where our tickets may have some issues.

Say UA implements N fares as BE starting December 2016 - let's say I have something I ticketed February 2016 for January 2017....I would have issues.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I have bought a few N fares in the past. Have always been able to upgrade and do SDC.

(ORD-LAS, -LGA IIRC)
I suppose that wasn't clear---I have bought N fares as well, and presently the N bucket still has open inventory on many flights. But the lowest on offer for purchase that I can turn up seems to be G.

Originally Posted by aacharya
I do wonder who has a ticket with an N still around - maybe there's a cutoff date so that we know where our tickets may have some issues.

Say UA implements N fares as BE starting December 2016 - let's say I have something I ticketed February 2016 for January 2017....I would have issues.
I'd hope they won't impose whatever the BE restrictions are to already-purchased tickets; but I wouldn't have faith they don't inadvertently do so.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya

Don't know how the system exactly works for these new kinds of fares, but I suspect the restrictions will be part of the fare rules, and thus, no different than a fare basis in a given bucket having different rules from other fare basis' in that bucket. Examples of differentiation today within specific fare basis within the same bucket may include different routing restrictions, who can market/operate flights on a specific fare basis, or even different advance purchase requirements. Not to mention, rules on mileage earning can be different already today (i.e. bulk fares with say, a T basis, earning based on distance while a regular T bucket earns on fare, or a standard award booking, which goes into Y/YN, restricted from earning miles, and receiving CPUs). So it certainly can be, and is done already.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are no currently published N fares that I am aware of. Given the generally short travel window of the N fares when they were published in the past, I would guess that we are already close to the point where all itineraries ticketed in N will have been flown (if you currently hold an N class ticket, feel free to correct me).

This, combined with the fact that N inventory has been allowed to float up to about S or T level, seems to imply that UA is going to use N for Basic Economy, using the same negative differential faring strategy that DL is using.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
I don't think the "budget economy" fares have began yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.