Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Heads up: The Billion Mile Giveaway starts August 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heads up: The Billion Mile Giveaway starts August 1

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by garykung
I wonder - is it discriminatory to include Guam (a UA hub and a major military location) but not Puerto Rico?
Look up the legal status of both.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I wonder - is it discriminatory to include Guam (a UA hub and a major military location) but not Puerto Rico?
Puerto Rico used to be commonly excluded due to their laws, but they changed in them 2009 to make them less hostile to giveaways. May still be it's too hostile for UA/Chase.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

...Every time you use your United MileagePlus Chase Credit Card between August 1 and September 30, 2016, you’ll receive an automatic entry for a chance to win....

-UA Insider
Every time you use your card to purchase from a merchant in the US, to be clear. Non US dollar purchases don't count.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by aacharya
Look up the legal status of both.
Originally Posted by mduell
Puerto Rico used to be commonly excluded due to their laws, but they changed in them 2009 to make them less hostile to giveaways. May still be it's too hostile for UA/Chase.
I am not criticizing why U.S. territories are always excluded in this kinds of promotion. My concern is why Guam is included.

As mduell said, it should not be law-related. UA has separate credit card partner in both GU (First Hawaiian) and PR (Santander), rather than Chase.

So is the inclusion of Guam simply because it is a UA hub and/or U.S. military's presence? In that case, then why is Japan not included as well, as Japan shares both characteristics except being a foreign country than a U.S. territory.

It simply does not sound right
Old Jul 22, 2016, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not criticizing why U.S. territories are always excluded in this kinds of promotion. My concern is why Guam is included.

As mduell said, it should not be law-related. UA has separate credit card partner in both GU (First Hawaiian) and PR (Santander), rather than Chase.
It is all about law. Guam is also included in the new McDonald monopoly stakes. As two of us noted...check the regs. Including the PR citation.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 6:42 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by channa
How many FTers are going to break down their grocery order at self-check into 1-item orders to maximize their chances?
And they are all going to be individual boxes of pudding mix.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 6:47 am

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
The link for the non-purchase entry goes to a page that says "coming soon" so I guess you have to wait to figure out what info they will want.

Last edited by dogloverjb; Jul 22, 2016 at 7:03 am
Old Jul 22, 2016, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dogloverjb
The link for the non-purchase entry goes to a page that says "coming soon".
Because the contest, as noted in the first post here and on the site, starts August 1st.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:27 am

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
So here's a question ...

Is the "legacy" Presidential Plus card (i.e. still MasterCard) considered an eligible MileagePlus credit card? I'd guess so but we all know what happens when we assume ...
The rules say MileagePlus credit cards issued by Chase that are either Visa or MasterCard.
That definitely includes the Presidential Plus card although they do have the "other exclusions may apply" wording in there.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by findark
From the small print:

Also looks like you don't technically need an MPE card either
Was wondering about this since it becomes an illegal lottery if purchase is required. Nothing at the link yet.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Kudos to UA & Chase for a great promotion! ^

(despite some cynical/less-favorable remarks above )
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I like that they are offering many smaller prizes as well. Maybe I'll get something... Ha, I know better!
Old Jul 23, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by clkc86
I like that they are offering many smaller prizes as well. Maybe I'll get something... Ha, I know better!
I did the calculations based on the prize value and the estimated odds, and the overall Expected Value for each charge is about $0.165, with over $0.10 of that coming from the smallest prizes.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 9:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
And then the winner can't find Saver space to any of their preferred destinations....
!
Buy the tickets and use miles as "choices".
Old Jul 23, 2016, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Interestingly enough, both wife and I got a glossy, full letter size mailer today with the billion mile giveaway on the outside of the envelope, and inside, it was the cover story on the 'Miles Ahead', described as 'The MileagePlus Chase Cardmemeber Newsletter". I have never received this before.

And to the poster wondering if legacy cards count, both my wife and I only have the Select card, so clearly those are eligible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.