Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA & TSA to Modernize Airport Screening Experience for Customers at Hub Cities

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA & TSA to Modernize Airport Screening Experience for Customers at Hub Cities

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2016, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
This is the first I've heard of a 'centralized' checkpoint at EWR - sounds like they are combining C1, C2 and C3 into one. .
Nothing says "security" like consolidating all the riders into a single location where they are easy targets for airport terrorists.

As for the automating, for those of you not familiar with the system, this is what they mean:

AA and Delta committed to installing these earlier this year. United is playing catch up, like usual.

Last edited by jamesinclair; Jul 22, 2016 at 8:38 am
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Why does the airline have to buy this? Shouldn't this be up to the TSA to build it? Don't we pay TSA fees on airline tickets?
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by tods27
In DEN, the airport wants to move all the screening to the check-in level and use the current screening space for shops. I hope UA doesn't get behind that crazy plan.

Link to Denver post article about the redevelopment project

Edited to add: They are looking for redevelopment proposals at this time, so it might not include moving the security lines, but they have stated an intent to get more shopping in the great hall in the past.
I talk to Kim quite a bit, and she just did a presentation last week. The propsals all require the checkpoint to be moved to the check-in level. This is due to BRU and IST. This will be interesting how this works, but UA already said they will consolidate check in space for this, part of the recently new signed lease to 2030
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Why does the airline have to buy this? Shouldn't this be up to the TSA to build it? Don't we pay TSA fees on airline tickets?
Because the TSA serves the TSA. The airlines finally realized they have to step up themselves to improve the situation.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
'Innovation Lanes' set to open at LAX (T7)

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...nap-story.html

According to the article, UA in T7 will be opening some 'innovation lanes' similar to what Delta has opened in ATL to help screen passengers at TSA checkpoints faster. Supposed to open at the end of this week. Does anyone have any idea which checkpoint(s) will be getting it first? Here's for hoping its the TSA Precheck one.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plt, Marriott Gold, National Exec
I am flying out of LAX tomorrow so I will report if it is open yet or not. Thanks for the heads up!
Old Oct 12, 2016, 2:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Innovation lanes, first introduced this summer by Delta Air Lines at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, use multiple conveyor belts to allow five passengers to simultaneously unload bags, shoes and clothes into bins to be screened by the TSA.
Huh. IME, the two biggest security line hold-ups are (1) BP checkers who just stare at your BP for 30 seconds before waving you through, and (2) bag scanner operators running the machine slow as molasses. This won't help with either of those.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:51 pm

I hate to admit it, but these lanes are faster. When I flew through the UK, they used these lanes and there was very little wait in the early AM in the security line. Most people were waiting for secondary

Originally Posted by Kacee
Huh. IME, the two biggest security line hold-ups are (1) BP checkers who just stare at your BP for 30 seconds before waving you through
100% Agree. I don't think I've flown through any other country that does an ID check after check-in. It's a bit frivolous since there are secure, automated systems that could easily reduce the cost of the TSA and only grant access to appropriate pax.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by ginoa724
I hate to admit it, but these lanes are faster. When I flew through the UK, they used these lanes and there was very little wait in the early AM in the security line. Most people were waiting for secondary

100% Agree. I don't think I've flown through any other country that does an ID check after check-in. It's a bit frivolous since there are secure, automated systems that could easily reduce the cost of the TSA and only grant access to appropriate pax.
Israel does a sort-of ID check at security. They are really scanning the security sticker you got at check-in, and are confirming that number of BPs matches passports and travelers, but they do do some type of check, though it's exceedingly brief.

In many countries in Europe, it's been automated, but I have seen some limited (but rare) cases of ID check. Not that I can remember in CDG or BRU (maybe once in ZRH?)
Old Oct 13, 2016, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ginoa724
Oh, there are a LOT of countries/airports that do ID check after check in. And again at the gate. And many countries require a immigration officer to look at your passport rather than a low level agent or security guard. In some places it depends on the layout of the airport. Some airports have a central security checkpoint, and others do security at the gate. Others do Schengen and non-Schengen security.

And while I will not make any apologies for the TSA, this check is a lightweight prevention against people from entering airside if they are not supposed to be there. That can't block anyone strongly motivated from entering, but at least it keeps out a lot of the non-traveling public.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
Oh, there are a LOT of countries/airports that do ID check after check in. And again at the gate. And many countries require a immigration officer to look at your passport rather than a low level agent or security guard. In some places it depends on the layout of the airport. Some airports have a central security checkpoint, and others do security at the gate. Others do Schengen and non-Schengen security.

And while I will not make any apologies for the TSA, this check is a lightweight prevention against people from entering airside if they are not supposed to be there. That can't block anyone strongly motivated from entering, but at least it keeps out a lot of the non-traveling public.
I've seen ID checks after check-in, but more so at the gate and/or passport control. Very few (outside of Israel) at entrance to security
Old Oct 13, 2016, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joshwex90
I've seen ID checks after check-in, but more so at the gate and/or passport control. Very few (outside of Israel) at entrance to security
Many airports do the ID/passport check just a few steps before you go through security. HKG, BKK, & NBO to name a few. Some do it even before you can enter the airport! India used to be like that, but I'm not sure if it still is? And tactically BRU was like that after the recent bombing. I'll be there in a few days to see if they are still doing that.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many airports do the ID/passport check just a few steps before you go through security. HKG, BKK, & NBO to name a few. Some do it even before you can enter the airport! India used to be like that, but I'm not sure if it still is? And tactically BRU was like that after the recent bombing. I'll be there in a few days to see if they are still doing that.
CNX does the ID before entering the airport but not BKK. I don't recal an ID check at BKK minus passport control but it was late and I was tired the last time I flew out of there.

In India, mixed results at BOM of checking before entering the airport
Old Oct 13, 2016, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joshwex90
I don't recal an ID check at BKK minus passport control but it was late and I was tired the last time I flew out of there.
Passport control encompasses an ID check. Now that I think about it, HKG does it like I mentioned above, a few steps before security. BKK, at least in the Premium section, does general security and then you proceed to passport control. And then you do more security at the gate and another ID check. It's hard to keep up as I go to a lot of airports and things change over the years.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Passport control encompasses an ID check. Now that I think about it, HKG does it like I mentioned above, a few steps before security. BKK, at least in the Premium section, does general security and then you proceed to passport control. And then you do more security at the gate and another ID check. It's hard to keep up as I go to a lot of airports and things change over the years.
Of course it does. I simply meant in the context that was meant above of an ID check at entrance to the security line

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.