Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA & TSA to Modernize Airport Screening Experience for Customers at Hub Cities

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA & TSA to Modernize Airport Screening Experience for Customers at Hub Cities

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:30 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Baze
Guess SFO doesn't rate.
SFO has never seemed as bad as elsewhere, but could just be a case of familiarity (the devil you know).

What gets potentially confusing are having three different types of security lines. TSA-PRE, normal, and now a shorter line for preferred customers that still requires the same screening.

I guess if we can have 6 boarding groups...
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I will be interested to see how much this helps. The automated security lanes in Norway that I went through this summer were quite efficient. My only worry is that given how inept kettles are at efficiently getting their bags off the belt, it could lead to folks getting their stuff sent through the machines twice...

I also do wonder where this centralized checkpoint will be, and if they will apply it at all to the PreCheck/GS lines between C2 and C3. I also wonder if the construction at the C3 security checkpoint is due to this system getting implemented?...
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Guess SFO doesn't rate.
This deal seems to be between UA and TSA. Screening at SFO isn't done by TSA and is down by a private company I believe. So in that sense, makes sense SFO isn't part of this.

And although in generally only through SFO a few times per year, seems checkpoints there don't have the issues with lines that others like EWR do.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
This deal seems to be between UA and TSA. Screening at SFO isn't done by TSA and is down by a private company I believe. So in that sense, makes sense SFO isn't part of this.

And although in generally only through SFO a few times per year, seems checkpoints there don't have the issues with lines that others like EWR do.
Yeah, it is CSA at SFO. I have Pre and Clear so lines are never a problem for me at SFO.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Guess SFO doesn't rate.
SFO checkin/security areas have already been redesigned a few times in the last decade, so maybe they want to give it a breather. And to be fair, the current setup is probably the best it has been in recent memory, with precheck and Clear well marked and available at most checkpoints.

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
I want this for re-entry from International flights. The IAD TSA checkpoint is horrible when coming back to the U.S.
+1 Horrific. The only thing worse is TBIT @LAX, but there is an easy workaround there (hint: use T4 and walk across)

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
SFO has never seemed as bad as elsewhere, but could just be a case of familiarity (the devil you know).

What gets potentially confusing are having three different types of security lines. TSA-PRE, normal, and now a shorter line for preferred customers that still requires the same screening.

I guess if we can have 6 boarding groups...
Don't forget my fav, Clear! ^
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:45 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
I really hope they don't do this for any pre- lanes, having to use a separate bin per bag will massively slow things down (plus you have to wait for bins to arrive, pick them out, place them on the rollers, put your bag in, push it along - at the other end take your bag out, carry the bin to the end, etc).

They might be OK for normal screening, but I don't really understand how they make things any faster than the normal bins. The main difference is that suspicious bins get automatically removed after the X-ray instead of being pulled by person. The scanners also take up a lot more room than normal scanners (and plenty of airports don't seem to have much space around the scanners).
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nobodyherebutme
I flew through several airports in Europe and several of them had automated screening lanes. While not as fast as TSA Pre, they are a lot more efficient than what we've been living with in the US.

Of course, that system requires a lot more space. So airports who can't even string three tables end to end to make it easy for people to prepare their luggage while moving towards the conveyor belt (I'm looking at you DCA) aren't going to adopt these any time soon.
This. Experienced it for the first time earlier this month at LHR (both connection and then departure a few days later) and EDI.

Seemed much more efficient and effective compared to our regular, non-PreCheck approach. However space is definitely an issue - at both places the sheer amount of space security takes up is enormous.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Haven't seen automated lanes before. Are they really faster or do they just allow TSA to open more lanes by spreading their people out more? There are always closed lanes at ORD while maybe 3 agents man each line.

I could see automated lanes causing confusion and holding up lines due to malfunction.

I'm actually pretty ok with the current precheck process so as long as things don't get slower or more cumbersome, I'm cool with any changes.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:38 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by JBord
Haven't seen automated lanes before. Are they really faster or do they just allow TSA to open more lanes by spreading their people out more? There are always closed lanes at ORD while maybe 3 agents man each line.

I could see automated lanes causing confusion and holding up lines due to malfunction.

I'm actually pretty ok with the current precheck process so as long as things don't get slower or more cumbersome, I'm cool with any changes.

In Europe, automated gates are just scan and go. Takes about a second compared to an agent looking, scanning, then circling everything on your BP. Automated lanes should make it a hack of a lot easier. Of course this is the TSA so they will find some way to mess it up.

This talk about a centralized security at EWR confuses me though, are they going to knock down all the walls and just make it one huge entrance? I did see what I thought was some construction at one of the lanes last week.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by JBord

They really aren't automated: there's still a helper (or "agent") at the disrobing/unpacking stage, there's still an x-ray operator, and there are still helpers (or more agents) at the other end to clear the trays away / stop people from grabbing "supsicious" bags.

And IME they aren't any faster, except for *maybe* the fact that there's a tray return - but it really doesn't take that long to push a cart of trays from the end to the start (note: the trays still need to be lifted from the return chute to the main rollers, and at the end they need to be lifted from the rollers into the return bin which feeds the return chute - no different from having the usual stacks of trays).
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
In Europe, automated gates are just scan and go. Takes about a second compared to an agent looking, scanning, then circling everything on your BP. Automated lanes should make it a hack of a lot easier. Of course this is the TSA so they will find some way to mess it up.

This talk about a centralized security at EWR confuses me though, are they going to knock down all the walls and just make it one huge entrance? I did see what I thought was some construction at one of the lanes last week.
I don't think this is what they mean by automated lanes: they're "automating" the x-ray stage, they haven't said anything about the document checker (moreover, if they keep insisting on ID checks then there's no good way of getting rid of the document checkers until everyone carries biometric nfc-capable IDs, and everyone ensures their BPs are letter-for-letter matches with their ID).
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:30 am

Programs: UA: Plat, Marriott: Annual Ambassador, Lifetime Grandfather
Originally Posted by exerda
I know... at least Pre is rarely much of a wait. Even a busy Saturday morning it was a 5 minute wait (looked much worse, though).
I fly through IAD, and use the Pre-Check lane, every Thursday afternoon around 3pm. I often will have to wait 10-15 minutes to clear Pre.

Don't get me wrong, it's a damn sight better than going through Kettle-security...But it's not always quite so breezy.

FWIW, I'm not optimistic that the changes they're planning to make to ORD will be good. I fear it's going to be another "change you'll like"...

-mvitale
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Anyone know *when* in the Fall?

I am returning from Europe in Oct with an onward connection to CMH so will get to experience this in EWR. Just wonder how sorted out it will be by the time I get there with my family. Maybe it'll start the day after we go through and not the day we are there.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Automated systems certainly seem faster. They definitely are less stressful as, rather than being one person at a time, which puts huge pressure on you at your time, several people can unload simultaneously.

Of course, it really won't get much more efficient until they standardize the rules as to what to do at all airports. Otherwise, people will continue to be caught out by different rules in different places (can I keep my shoes on, does my laptop come out, do I need to empty my pockets etc etc.).
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I really wonder how the centralized system will work at EWR.

Clearing in many places in Europe involves virtually no "guessing" about which line. It's a snaking line where you go to the next available place, and at airports like FCO and CDG, I've seen over 20 active lanes at once. If that's the type of set-up EWR will have, with Pre-Check and Premium Access never closing, then sounds great. Otherwise...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.