Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SGN service ending [Effective October, 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2016, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: riphamilton
final flights: HKG 28OCT, SGN 29OCT (per @airlineroute)
Print Wikipost

SGN service ending [Effective October, 2016]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2016, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by 5khours
No JV revenue/cost share on intra-Asian flights. They may do this, but they're just giving revenue to a competitor. So basically they share the over-water revenue (that they had to themselves) with NH and lose all the revenue on the leg to Saigon.

This is nothing more than a poorly organized retreat out of Asia.
UA and ANA have a joint venture and share costs/revenues all the way to Vietnam.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
UA and ANA have a joint venture and share costs/revenues all the way to Vietnam.
The JV is fine. But we loose about 2800 miles (one way) toward MM status as well as have to sit in those awful NQ seats. If these flights were NH operated it'd be somewhat more tolerable.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I'm not sure, but I don't think so. UA's press releases were pretty specific.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
At a time when UA is substantially increasing TPAC non-stop destinations, this comment is simply absurd. UA launches service to SIN, you deem it a failure (despite strong evidence to the contrary). UA stops serving SGN with a 737 tag - a move that was predicted here by many for some time as just common sense, and will affect very few - and it's a retreat from Asia."
Old Jul 16, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
ANA's joint venture page clearly lists Ho Chi Minh as a JV city. ANA and United Airlines Launched Joint Venture
Old Jul 16, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
You'd be wrong then. ANA specifically calls out Narita-HCMC as a route that's successful as a result of being part of the JV (http://www.anahd.co.jp/en/investors/...l/13/13_09.pdf).
Old Jul 16, 2016, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No JV revenue/cost share on intra-Asian flights. They may do this, but they're just giving revenue to a competitor. So basically they share the over-water revenue (that they had to themselves) with NH and lose all the revenue on the leg to Saigon.
Completely false. That's not how the UA/NH joint venture works.

Also incorrect.

Completely correct. Same with SIN, MNL, BKK, etc.

Again: Incorrect.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Does anyone have an exact date of the last flight? I'm on UA179 HKG-SGN 16OCT.

Schedule changes often roll out Saturdays, and I'm still looking good as far as I can tell.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 16, 2016 at 1:05 pm Reason: Specific member requests are best by PM
Old Jul 16, 2016, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, I had assumed that UA would be doing well with SGN but I guess we are ending the only 737 service so they are not doing well.

A friend of mine goes there with his whole family. He goes with the cheapest - I think CX/KE this year, BR 2 years ago and UA 4 years ago...

BR is very aggressive with VN connecting traffic. They have Vietnamese FAs and GAs on US routes and constantly trying to increase the TPE-SGN/HAN capacity, which is limited by the bilateral. CI is probably the same - not to mention the rest of the carriers - NH, OZ, KE, CX and maybe even the Mainland Chinese carriers. Better service, frequency and lower prices. I guess it makes sense for UA to stop....

I also see down the road there will be a SFO-SGN nonstop on UA.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
As others have mentioned, I'm sure flying a 737 on this route vs. the competition did UA no favors. That said, I would have to imagine that once UA starts taking 77W / A350 deliveries, they should be able to re-size routes that they are flying on Dreamliners but could use more capacity (e.g. LAX-NRT, the Australian routes) back to 772s and start utilizing the Dreamliners on long/thin routes like SFO-SGN (or BKK, or maybe IAD-JNB somewhere in the distant future).

Sure, it doesn't help the lifetime mileage balance, but if NH is stepping in with a second flight, almost solely (it seems) for the purpose of making UA connections at NRT more convenient...that is how a good JV partner should be helping out...
Old Jul 16, 2016, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Wow.. I'm booked LAX-SFO-HKG-SGN end of November and then early December SGN-HKG-EWR that ties into another *Carrier (separate Ticket) JFK-GRU. I booked the SGN trip as it was good value (meeting a friend from HKG in SGN) and needed the mileage for Elite Status. When do you think we will hear from UA. I wanted the UA Mileage BIS too as I am approaching MM status. Any thoughts? Will they just use other UA equipment and not from Micro or do you think they will be abandoning the routing? Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Jul 16, 2016, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
They'll probably dump you to some ill-timed CX flight in HKG.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Nope flight won't be upgauged its ending completely.
What insight do you have? Your normally spot on but that statement does not do well for my reservation
Old Jul 16, 2016, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon
MileagePlus & convenience. It's only 2 hours. Small airplane, great GUM crew.
I agree as this is what I have done before and am currently reserved for..
Old Jul 16, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by hirohito888
ANA's joint venture page clearly lists Ho Chi Minh as a JV city. ANA and United Airlines Launched Joint Venture

You'd be wrong then. ANA specifically calls out Narita-HCMC as a route that's successful as a result of being part of the JV (http://www.anahd.co.jp/en/investors/...l/13/13_09.pdf).

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Completely false. That's not how the UA/NH joint venture works.
As I said, I don't know. The JV encompasses code sharing, schedule coordination, etc. ...not just revenue sharing. Revenue sharing generally requires ATI (anti-trust immunity) from all involved jurisdictions.

If anybody actually knows which routes are part of the revenue share, I'd be anxious to learn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.